Sign in with
Your question

Won't boot after reset

Last response: in Windows XP
March 25, 2009 4:22:34 PM

Hey all, got this weird issue. When i reset windows (xp 64 bit) it starts to reboot but then never gets to the windows screen. just stays black. I have to power off the whole machine, then power back up and then it runs normally. Any ideas? Usually i have to reset after AE crashes and starts to act a bit funny.

asus p6t6 workstation
i7 920 @ 2.67
6 gig g.skill 1600
280 gtx
WD 1 tb drive (green)

thanks

More about : boot reset

March 26, 2009 2:30:44 AM

reset? what's that, can you boot to safe mode and restore to a earlier time, F8 at boot
March 26, 2009 12:36:14 PM

number13 said:
reset? what's that, can you boot to safe mode and restore to a earlier time, F8 at boot

reset = restart

sorry about the confusion. It still happens without running any other application.

so basically when i restart the machine it goes through posting but never enters the windows screen (also it lags when it is goin through post)

when i shutdown the machine, and then turn it back on, none of this occurs.
Related resources
July 27, 2009 2:33:36 PM

soynutz7 said:
reset = restart

sorry about the confusion. It still happens without running any other application.

so basically when i restart the machine it goes through posting but never enters the windows screen (also it lags when it is goin through post)

when i shutdown the machine, and then turn it back on, none of this occurs.

i have the same problem.. did find any solutions yet?
July 27, 2009 7:38:26 PM

open up your PC and check your fans when you turn on the pc. make sure all fans are working. Power supply, CPU fan, ect and make sure they seem like they are in working order and dust free. If you see a cpu fan for example and it seems to be running but tends to stop and go..... you know there is a problem there.

also, did you install new hardware and when?

Mighty Mouse
July 29, 2009 5:56:25 AM

Mighty Mouse said:
open up your PC and check your fans when you turn on the pc. make sure all fans are working. Power supply, CPU fan, ect and make sure they seem like they are in working order and dust free. If you see a cpu fan for example and it seems to be running but tends to stop and go..... you know there is a problem there.

also, did you install new hardware and when?

Mighty Mouse

everything seems to work fine. tried installing different os unfortunately, same results.
July 29, 2009 6:24:53 AM

This could be a video card issue... hard to say yet.

is this a on board video or a PCIe ?

any error or beep codes you may have notice?
also, when you mention you try to install different os and same results.... did you delete XP and if you did.... did you delete the partitions? if your having problems and you did delete xp and try different os... this is a hardware issue. what os where you trying to install since you mention it?

Need a little more info

if you have a spare video card I would start there.
if your having same issue, then move onto the ram.
ground yourself.... take all ram out and put one stick in and start the PC... and see if it boots....if it doesn't take that stick out and put one in again ect, ect ect. you get the point.

still trouble, get a spare hd and try that.
There are methods of testing the power connectors on a power supply using a multimeter too.

now this could be bad cables but you never told me if you where getting any error/beeps at boot up.

Thanks!

Mighty Mouse
!