Sign in with
Your question

Programs folder on desktop

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 17, 2009 4:09:19 PM

I have vistax64 and its actually a new desktop probably 2wks old. In any event now everytime i restart on my desktop appears an empty program folder. Was just wondering how to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated.
May 17, 2009 4:15:40 PM

also there is no programs folder in startup in the start menu
m
l
October 12, 2009 7:25:44 AM

i am having the same proble here can someone please help me too
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2009 4:31:15 PM

I've started getting this as well. It started happening yesterday, when I was searching for a good DVD ripper software. I believe one of the installers for one of the programs (which I removed anyway) did something in Windows that it probably shouldn't have. So now, I am getting this. Previously, I was getting an additional "Programs" folder in my start menu's programs list, which would recursively list all my programs, though there was no physical folder in the start menu/programs folder when I clicked Explore and Explore all users. I don't seem to see that anymore, but there is now and empty Programs folder appearing on my desktop on boot, even after I delete it. I checked my startup programs list under msconfic.msc as well as my startup folders and there's nothing there that I could find. I also ran a spyware scan with Spybot S&D as well as a virus scan under McAfee and nothing came up. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32-bit. Anyone have any ideas? It is a hard thing to search for in Google as my queries come up with general information on the start menu and running programs.
m
l
December 27, 2009 10:40:58 PM

Quote:
I am getting this. Previously, I was getting an additional "Programs" folder in my start menu's programs list, which would recursively list all my programs, though there was no physical folder in the start menu/programs folder when I clicked Explore and Explore all users. I don't seem to see that anymore, but there is now and empty Programs folder appearing on my desktop on boot, even after I delete it.

I am getting the same problem, additionally I have 2 'admin tools' folders in my start menu, 1 of which is empty, but when I delete the empty one, the remaining folder is also empty. I can bring the default programs back again, but I then have two 'admin tools' folders again. I ran scans with 'SUPERAntiSpyware' and 'avira antivir personal' and came up with nothing. Also when I install new software, the short cuts go to the unwanted programs folder. It seemed to start when I put a SD card into my reader? It also seems to have corrupted my backup points on my external Hard drive.

I have 32 bit windows vista home premium SP1
m
l
December 27, 2009 11:20:25 PM

So far I haven't been able to find a fix for it, but for the folder on the desktop, I made it hidden and it at least got it out of my view. I'd love to here if anyone has any real fixes, though.
m
l
December 28, 2009 4:28:33 AM

Managed to resolve extra programs folder problem by right-clicking the folder, then selecting the "location" tab, then pressing the "restore to default" button, and I think that the additional 'admin tools' had to do with being inside the programs folder.
m
l
!