Tired of wearing out feet on mouse?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 15, 2004 7:59:56 AM

check this out I kept wearing my mouse feet down then about 8 months ago got
a polyethylene cutting board it is BIG and smooth like you would not
believe. The mouse moves very easy great for control is cheap and looks very
good also.
Here is one that is just a bit smaller then the one I have mine is 12" x
18", this one is 9 1/2" x 15.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9124906-755264...

Hope some of ya find that this is what ya been needing.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 1:51:00 PM

"MacK" <mtr@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> check this out I kept wearing my mouse feet down then about 8 months ago
got
> a polyethylene cutting board it is BIG and smooth like you would not
> believe. The mouse moves very easy great for control is cheap and looks
very
> good also.
> Here is one that is just a bit smaller then the one I have mine is 12" x
> 18", this one is 9 1/2" x 15.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9124906-755264...

> Hope some of ya find that this is what ya been needing.

Great surface - but I'd only find one problem with it: It's awfully thick to
rest ones hand (and forearm) on for any length of time. The only way you
could avoid carpal tunnel-style difficulties would be to have a large area
for the forearm to rest on while using it... or find a way to decrease the
height of the thing on the tabletop, perhaps by embedding...?

I've got a pen-tablet (Calcomp/CIC) and it's 1/4" thick. If it sits closer
than 5" to the edge of the desk I have nothing much to rest the forearm on,
which makes for an achey wrist after about 30 minutes. I found that having
a larger (deeper) desk solved this problem, since I could place the tablet -
which is also my mouse pad - farther from the edge of the desktop.

--
Steve Goodman aka Spud Patrol!
* http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack

"Stephen Goodman" <earthlight2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "MacK" <mtr@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > check this out I kept wearing my mouse feet down then about 8 months ago
> got
> > a polyethylene cutting board it is BIG and smooth like you would not
> > believe. The mouse moves very easy great for control is cheap and looks
> very
> > good also.
> > Here is one that is just a bit smaller then the one I have mine is 12" x
> > 18", this one is 9 1/2" x 15.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9124906-755264...

> > Hope some of ya find that this is what ya been needing.
>
> Great surface - but I'd only find one problem with it: It's awfully thick
> rest ones hand (and forearm) on for any length of time. The only way you
> could avoid carpal tunnel-style difficulties would be to have a large area
> for the forearm to rest on while using it... or find a way to decrease the
> height of the thing on the tabletop, perhaps by embedding...?
>
> I've got a pen-tablet (Calcomp/CIC) and it's 1/4" thick. If it sits
closer
> than 5" to the edge of the desk I have nothing much to rest the forearm
on,
> which makes for an achey wrist after about 30 minutes. I found that
having
> a larger (deeper) desk solved this problem, since I could place the
tablet -
> which is also my mouse pad - farther from the edge of the desktop.
>

> --
> Steve Goodman aka Spud Patrol!
> * http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack

You could be right I had not thought of it since I do have room to rest my
arm on on my cornerdesk. The board is about 1/2" thinkness and I also have
small (1/16" thickness) rubber pads I placed on it to keep it very steady on
the desktop. I do not feel this rise at all because with my forearm rested
on the desktop it is inline with my hand.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:26:59 AM

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:51:00 +0100, "Stephen Goodman" <earthlight2k@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"MacK" <mtr@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> check this out I kept wearing my mouse feet down then about 8 months ago
>got
>> a polyethylene cutting board it is BIG and smooth like you would not
>> believe. The mouse moves very easy great for control is cheap and looks
>very
>> good also.
>> Here is one that is just a bit smaller then the one I have mine is 12" x
>> 18", this one is 9 1/2" x 15.
>>
>http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9124906-755264...
>>
>> Hope some of ya find that this is what ya been needing.
>
>Great surface - but I'd only find one problem with it: It's awfully thick to
>rest ones hand (and forearm) on for any length of time. The only way you
>could avoid carpal tunnel-style difficulties would be to have a large area
>for the forearm to rest on while using it... or find a way to decrease the
>height of the thing on the tabletop, perhaps by embedding...?
>
>I've got a pen-tablet (Calcomp/CIC) and it's 1/4" thick. If it sits closer
>than 5" to the edge of the desk I have nothing much to rest the forearm on,
>which makes for an achey wrist after about 30 minutes. I found that having
>a larger (deeper) desk solved this problem, since I could place the tablet -
>which is also my mouse pad - farther from the edge of the desktop.

A wrist rest might help. There are gel filled ones, spongy ones and also hard wrist
rests. Get a soft one. The hard ones are no good.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 7:58:59 PM

"MacK" <mtr@nc.rr.com> wrote in

> check this out I kept wearing my mouse feet down then about 8 months
> ago got a polyethylene cutting board it is BIG and smooth like you
> would not believe. The mouse moves very easy great for control is
> cheap and looks very good also.
> Here is one that is just a bit smaller then the one I have mine is 12"
> x 18", this one is 9 1/2" x 15.
> http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9124906-755264...
> F8&alt%5Fview=images&asin=B00005OTVX#images
>
> Hope some of ya find that this is what ya been needing.

I've been thinking of just attaching a chunk of plexiglass right to my KB
shelf for a mousepad. Say, 10 inches wide and the same depth as the shelf.
I hear there are glass mousepads that work with opticals now too. That
would be kickin' if you ask me.
May 25, 2004 1:55:31 AM

Bipolar Boogieman wrote in

> "MacK" <mtr@nc.rr.com> wrote in
>
>> check this out I kept wearing my mouse feet down then about 8 months
>> ago got a polyethylene cutting board it is BIG and smooth like you
>> would not believe. The mouse moves very easy great for control is
>> cheap and looks very good also.
>> Here is one that is just a bit smaller then the one I have mine is
>> 12" x 18", this one is 9 1/2" x 15.
>> http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9124906-755264...
>> T F8&alt%5Fview=images&asin=B00005OTVX#images
>>
>> Hope some of ya find that this is what ya been needing.
>
> I've been thinking of just attaching a chunk of plexiglass right to my
> KB shelf for a mousepad. Say, 10 inches wide and the same depth as the
> shelf. I hear there are glass mousepads that work with opticals now
> too. That would be kickin' if you ask me.

try a trackball
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 3:07:49 AM

MacK wrote:
> check this out I kept wearing my mouse feet down then about 8 months
> ago got a polyethylene cutting board it is BIG and smooth like you
> would not believe. The mouse moves very easy great for control is
> cheap and looks very good also.
> Here is one that is just a bit smaller then the one I have mine is
> 12" x 18", this one is 9 1/2" x 15.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9124906-755264...

> Hope some of ya find that this is what ya been needing.

I've been using a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball for years. It requires a
fraction of the realestate and it much more reliable and accurate compared
to any mouse I have ever used.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 10:03:25 PM

"Net Resident" <none@nospame.net> wrote in

> I've been using a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball for years. It
> requires a fraction of the realestate and it much more reliable and
> accurate compared to any mouse I have ever used.

Man, after using a wheelmouse for so many years, using a trackball would be
like learning to walk again. Seems like it would be a killer as far as
fatigue and carpel-tunnel/RSS is concerned.
May 29, 2004 3:25:13 AM

In article <9fvsc.14962$rb.4125@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>, in
alt.games.quake3, none@nospame.net says...
> I've been using a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball for years. It requires a
> fraction of the realestate and it much more reliable and accurate compared
> to any mouse I have ever used.

Is that the black one with the scroll ring around the ball? I've been
thinking of getting one as my Logitech trackball I've been using is
getting VERY flaky in operation.
--
de Jack N2MPU FN20
Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N

Jack wrote:
> In article <9fvsc.14962$rb.4125@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>, in
> alt.games.quake3, none@nospame.net says...
>> I've been using a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball for years. It
>> requires a fraction of the realestate and it much more reliable and
>> accurate compared to any mouse I have ever used.
>
> Is that the black one with the scroll ring around the ball? I've been
> thinking of getting one as my Logitech trackball I've been using is
> getting VERY flaky in operation.

Actually I just bought the latest model 7 which is the black one with the
scroll ring. The speed and accuracy is amazing and the movement is much
smoother than my old model 5 which was already better than any normal mouse
I ever used. The ring is not 100% perfect however, there is a very tiny bit
of rub but I happen to be very picky, which is the reason I get Kensington
Trackballs in the first place. I'm pretty sure I can eliminate that tiny bit
of rub under the ring by using some poly car finish protectant.

Another thing about Kensington that has kept me loyal to them besides the
fantastic movement is that they have a five year, no questions ask warrenty.

Well worth the $100 in my experiences and I have been using them for years
now.
May 30, 2004 5:52:11 AM

In article <e7buc.3420$bD4.2196@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>, in
alt.games.quake3, none@nospame.net says...
> Jack wrote:
> > In article <9fvsc.14962$rb.4125@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>, in
> > alt.games.quake3, none@nospame.net says...
> >> I've been using a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball for years. It
> >> requires a fraction of the realestate and it much more reliable and
> >> accurate compared to any mouse I have ever used.
> >
> > Is that the black one with the scroll ring around the ball? I've been
> > thinking of getting one as my Logitech trackball I've been using is
> > getting VERY flaky in operation.
>
> Actually I just bought the latest model 7 which is the black one with the
> scroll ring. The speed and accuracy is amazing and the movement is much
> smoother than my old model 5 which was already better than any normal mouse
> I ever used. The ring is not 100% perfect however, there is a very tiny bit
> of rub but I happen to be very picky, which is the reason I get Kensington
> Trackballs in the first place. I'm pretty sure I can eliminate that tiny bit
> of rub under the ring by using some poly car finish protectant.
>
> Another thing about Kensington that has kept me loyal to them besides the
> fantastic movement is that they have a five year, no questions ask warrenty.
>
> Well worth the $100 in my experiences and I have been using them for years
> now.

Thank you for the testimony. Will be putting in an order for one this
weekend on Provantage. I've tried different trackballs, MS and Logitech
amongst them. The Microsnot one blows goats (bad switches and it goes
offline every once in a while), and as I mentioned the Logitech one I
have is going flaky after many years of service. Which is a shame, as I
had a specially weighted ball made for that one to give me a real nice
smooth coasting action if I so wanted.
--
de Jack N2MPU FN20
Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N
Proud NRA member
addy: jackn2mpu@monmouth.com
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 7:53:36 PM

Jack wrote:

<snip>

> Thank you for the testimony. Will be putting in an order for one this
> weekend on Provantage. I've tried different trackballs, MS and
> Logitech amongst them. The Microsnot one blows goats (bad switches
> and it goes offline every once in a while), and as I mentioned the
> Logitech one I have is going flaky after many years of service. Which
> is a shame, as I had a specially weighted ball made for that one to
> give me a real nice smooth coasting action if I so wanted.

OK, I hope you find it to your liking. I remember when I switched years ago.
It did take some time to adjust when playing games but otherwise I fell in
love with it right away.
!