Explorer 8000HD Question

I recently swapped my Pioneer Voyager BD-V3510HD for a Scientific Atlanta
Explorer 8000HD DVR. Both units use the Passport software so I was
expecting similar behavior. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I have
set up the box to output 480i, 720p and 1080i. My projector is a
multi-scanning unit that understands all of these formats. It (the
projector) has been configured to display 720p and 1080i in a 16:9 aspect
ratio and 480i in a 4:3 aspect ratio. If I am watching HD programming,
everything is good. Whenever I switch to a SD channel, the cable-box
outputs in 1080i which is not as all what I want. If I then turn the cable
box off and on, it will come up in 480i but as soon as I change channels, it
will switch to back to 1080i even if I tune to another SD channel. This is
a major issue with me since my projector does not have the stretch and zoom
modes which are normally found on HDTVs. Using the same settings with the
Pioneer box, yielded 480i whenever I was watching SD cable and 720p or 1080i
as appropriate whenever I was watching HD programming. I really want the
DRV capability but not at the expense of having to turn the power off and on
whenever I switch channels. My equipment is as follows:

TimeWarner Cable (Western Ohio)
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD DVR
Zenith Pro 895X Projector

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

--Brian K. White
10 answers Last reply
More about explorer 8000hd question

    Your remote should have a # button; this changes the aspect ratio
    and you may find it fixes your problem. You might want to try
    enabling 480p along with the others and see if that does
    anything. Maybe even try enabling only 480p and 1080i
    and disable 480i and 720p (this is what i'm doing and it
    works for me, but i'm using mine with a 4:3 tube TV so
    it may or may not work for you). Things to try though.

    Also, most of us with the SA8000HD have noticed a reduction in
    the quality of the HD image - it's softer and lost some of the
    punch of our previous regular HD converter boxes (i also had
    the Pioneer 3510HD and was able to compare them directly).

    There's a good thread about the SA8000HD w/Passport on
    AVSForum.com that will help familiarize you with the beast:

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=453804&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

    Randy

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, "Brian K. White" wrote:

    >I recently swapped my Pioneer Voyager BD-V3510HD for a Scientific Atlanta
    >Explorer 8000HD DVR. Both units use the Passport software so I was
    >expecting similar behavior. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I have
    >set up the box to output 480i, 720p and 1080i. My projector is a
    >multi-scanning unit that understands all of these formats. It (the
    >projector) has been configured to display 720p and 1080i in a 16:9 aspect
    >ratio and 480i in a 4:3 aspect ratio. If I am watching HD programming,
    >everything is good. Whenever I switch to a SD channel, the cable-box
    >outputs in 1080i which is not as all what I want. If I then turn the cable
    >box off and on, it will come up in 480i but as soon as I change channels, it
    >will switch to back to 1080i even if I tune to another SD channel. This is
    >a major issue with me since my projector does not have the stretch and zoom
    >modes which are normally found on HDTVs. Using the same settings with the
    >Pioneer box, yielded 480i whenever I was watching SD cable and 720p or 1080i
    >as appropriate whenever I was watching HD programming. I really want the
    >DRV capability but not at the expense of having to turn the power off and on
    >whenever I switch channels. My equipment is as follows:
    >
    > TimeWarner Cable (Western Ohio)
    > Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD DVR
    > Zenith Pro 895X Projector
    >
    >Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    >
    >--Brian K. White

    Randy:

    Thank you for the thread on the AVS forum. I will review it. I can't use
    480p since I have my projector configured to recognize that as a widescreen
    format. My projector only has one input usable for high definition but
    remembers separate configurations for each of the formats that it receives
    on a particular input. So I have 480p configured for 16:9 widescreen DVD.
    If I adjust the settings for 4:3 CATV programs then I'll lose the DVD setup.
    The problem in my case is that since I have a projector, I have BOTH a 16:9
    screen and a 4:3 screen. For maximum viewing area, I need for the box to
    pass along both signals types unaltered. The 8000HD seems to think that it
    is dong me a favor by upconverting 480i to 1080i which is not what I want.
    This wound not be an issue if my projector held the height constant between
    formats, but die to the way it works, It holds the width constant. For a
    4:3 material, the projected size is 80-inches wide and 60-inches tall.
    For 16:9 material, the projected size is 80-inches wide and 45-inches tall.
    When I get 480i material that us upconverted by the box to 1080i the
    resultant image is 4:3 due to the side-bars but the actual picture is now
    60x45! There's a big difference with the 100-inch diagonal 4:3 picture that
    I received when viewing SD formatted material with the Pioneer Voyager
    BD-V3510HD and the 75-inch diagonal picture I now get when viewing SD
    formatted material with the Scientific Atlanta
    Explorer 8000HD DVR.

    So far as the # button goes, it never does anything except display a message
    that everything is optimal or something like that. I need a button the
    changes the actual output format of the material since my projector lacks
    zoom capability. I have noticed a slight reduction in picture quality but I
    am willing to accept it for DVR capability. I am not willing to accept
    having to change the output format every time I change channels.

    --Brian K. White

    "Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > Your remote should have a # button; this changes the aspect ratio
    > and you may find it fixes your problem. You might want to try
    > enabling 480p along with the others and see if that does
    > anything. Maybe even try enabling only 480p and 1080i
    > and disable 480i and 720p (this is what i'm doing and it
    > works for me, but i'm using mine with a 4:3 tube TV so
    > it may or may not work for you). Things to try though.
    >
    > Also, most of us with the SA8000HD have noticed a reduction in
    > the quality of the HD image - it's softer and lost some of the
    > punch of our previous regular HD converter boxes (i also had
    > the Pioneer 3510HD and was able to compare them directly).
    >
    > There's a good thread about the SA8000HD w/Passport on
    > AVSForum.com that will help familiarize you with the beast:

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=453804&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

    > Randy
    >

    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, "Brian K. White" wrote:
    >
    > >I recently swapped my Pioneer Voyager BD-V3510HD for a Scientific Atlanta
    > >Explorer 8000HD DVR. Both units use the Passport software so I was
    > >expecting similar behavior. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I have
    > >set up the box to output 480i, 720p and 1080i. My projector is a
    > >multi-scanning unit that understands all of these formats. It (the
    > >projector) has been configured to display 720p and 1080i in a 16:9 aspect
    > >ratio and 480i in a 4:3 aspect ratio. If I am watching HD programming,
    > >everything is good. Whenever I switch to a SD channel, the cable-box
    > >outputs in 1080i which is not as all what I want. If I then turn the
    cable
    > >box off and on, it will come up in 480i but as soon as I change channels,
    it
    > >will switch to back to 1080i even if I tune to another SD channel. This
    is
    > >a major issue with me since my projector does not have the stretch and
    zoom
    > >modes which are normally found on HDTVs. Using the same settings with
    the
    > >Pioneer box, yielded 480i whenever I was watching SD cable and 720p or
    1080i
    > >as appropriate whenever I was watching HD programming. I really want the
    > >DRV capability but not at the expense of having to turn the power off and
    on
    > >whenever I switch channels. My equipment is as follows:
    > >
    > > TimeWarner Cable (Western Ohio)
    > > Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD DVR
    > > Zenith Pro 895X Projector
    > >
    > >Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    > >
    > >--Brian K. White

    The SA8000HD is no more. I returned it and got another Pioneer Voyager
    BD-V3510HD. I've learned my lesson. No matter what documentation you read
    on the manufacturers web site. Always check AVS Forum and see what other
    peoples' experiences are. If I had gone there first, I would have known
    that the 8000HD was not an option for me.

    --Brian

    "Brian K. White" <nospam@foxfire74.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    channels,
    > it
    > > >will switch to back to 1080i even if I tune to another SD channel.
    This
    > is
    > > >a major issue with me since my projector does not have the stretch and
    > zoom
    > > >modes which are normally found on HDTVs. Using the same settings with
    > the
    > > >Pioneer box, yielded 480i whenever I was watching SD cable and 720p or
    > 1080i
    > > >as appropriate whenever I was watching HD programming. I really want
    the
    > > >DRV capability but not at the expense of having to turn the power off
    and
    > on
    > > >whenever I switch channels. My equipment is as follows:

    The settings button on the 8000Hd will also allow to switch between all
    configured resolutions on the fly. Together with the zoom buttons it will do
    about anything.
    Nevermind - even though I really don't know what lesson you learned other
    than you didn't know how to work the thing.

> [...]
    > >
    > > --Brian K. White
    > >
    > > "Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Your remote should have a # button; this changes the aspect ratio
    > > > and you may find it fixes your problem. You might want to try
    > > > enabling 480p along with the others and see if that does
    > > > anything. Maybe even try enabling only 480p and 1080i
    > > > and disable 480i and 720p (this is what i'm doing and it
    > > > works for me, but i'm using mine with a 4:3 tube TV so
    > > > it may or may not work for you). Things to try though.
    > > >
    > > > Also, most of us with the SA8000HD have noticed a reduction in
    > > > the quality of the HD image - it's softer and lost some of the
    > > > punch of our previous regular HD converter boxes (i also had
    > > > the Pioneer 3510HD and was able to compare them directly).
    > > >
    > > > There's a good thread about the SA8000HD w/Passport on
    > > > AVSForum.com that will help familiarize you with the beast:

    I can work the box just fine. The box simply does not output 480i for any
    SD programming when you have any other higher resolutions enabled. This is
    a requirement for my projector. There was a lot of good information on the
    AVS forum on other users with this very same issue so I am definitely not
    alone. It just depends on the equipment that the box is being connected to
    as to whether or not this automatic up-converting behavior will be an issue
    or not.

    --Brian

    "hasenpfeffer" <Meickemeier@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > that
    > > > I received when viewing SD formatted material with the Pioneer Voyager
    > > > BD-V3510HD and the 75-inch diagonal picture I now get when viewing SD
    > > > formatted material with the Scientific Atlanta
    > > > Explorer 8000HD DVR.
    > > >
    > > > So far as the # button goes, it never does anything except display a
    > > message
    > > > that everything is optimal or something like that. I need a button
    the
    > > > changes the actual output format of the material since my projector
    > lacks
    > > > zoom capability. I have noticed a slight reduction in picture quality
    > but
    > > > am willing to accept it for DVR capability. I am not willing to
    accept
    > > > having to change the output format every time I change channels.

    I have tested both my 8000HD and 8300 HD. I am able to watch ANY SD or HD
    material in 480i standard, 480i wide, 480p standard, 480p wide, 720p (always
    wide) and 1080i (always wide). I have all the resolutions enabled and switch
    freely between them with the "setting" button on the remote. I have a TV
    connected to one and a couple of projectors to the other, one Electrohome
    ECP4500 and a Barco Graphics 800. I can save different settings for the same
    scan rate on both projectors. In the 18 years that I have been dealing with
    projectors, I have always been able to do that with all projectors. The
    problem is that the projector will not be able to recall the correct setting
    when it can't see a difference in the signal and it has to manually be set
    to recall the correct parameters. My Pronto remote is programmed to do that
    whenever I select what I want to watch. There also is the possibility of
    adjusting the height and width of the image on the projector in the service
    menu.
    Maybe you have a box with a different program? I am on Time Warner in North
    Carolina (Davidson County).

> [...]
    >
    > "hasenpfeffer" <Meickemeier@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> The settings button on the 8000Hd will also allow to switch between all
    >> configured resolutions on the fly. Together with the zoom buttons it will
    > do
    >> about anything.
    >> Nevermind - even though I really don't know what lesson you learned other
    >> than you didn't know how to work the thing.
    >>

    >> "Brian K. White" <nospam@foxfire74.com> wrote in message
    >> > The SA8000HD is no more. I returned it and got another Pioneer Voyager
    >> > BD-V3510HD. I've learned my lesson. No matter what documentation you
    >> read
    >> > on the manufacturers web site. Always check AVS Forum and see what
    > other
    >> > peoples' experiences are. If I had gone there first, I would have
    >> > known
    >> > that the 8000HD was not an option for me.

    I am on Time Warner of Western Ohio and they use Pioneer's Passport software
    on their boxes. You can only choose pass-through mode if you have the SARA
    software. With the Passport software on the SA8000HD, if all modes (480i,
    480p, 720p and 1080i) are enabled, the box will send 480p for a 480i SD
    program and 720p or 1080p as appropriate for an HD program. With the
    Passport software on the Pioneer Voyager BD-V3510HD if all modes are
    enabled, the box will send 480i for a SD program. My frustration is that 1)
    if the box had the SARA software, I could select pass-through mode and not
    have any problems and 2) if the Passport software worked like it does on the
    BD-V3510HD then I could enable all modes and again not have any problems.
    Its aggravating that the same software doesn't work the same on different
    hardware and that the software that would work is not available.

    Yes, you are correct in stating that my projector (Zenith Pro 895x) saves
    separate settings for each aspect ratio (16:9 or 4:3) for a particular scan
    rate. The issue is that it stays in a particular aspect ratio for a given
    scan rate until told to switch. (How could it know otherwise?) I have a
    programmable Home Theater Master MX-700 remote which I use to unify my home
    theater system and do, in fact, have a macro programmed which switches
    between 4:3 and 16:9. For me and my family, the nuisance of switching
    aspect ratios whenever I change channels outweighs the advantage of an HD
    DVD. We do a lot of channel switching/surfing. Also keep in mind that the
    MX-200 (kids remote) which is bundled with the MX-500 only has three
    available macro buttons in addition to the standard volume and channel
    buttons, and that those buttons are allocated to more important functions.

    I guess that I was just spoiled by the Pioneer Voyager BD-V3510HD. If
    having an HD DVR were more important than convenience, I could just let the
    box output SD programming in 480p and switch aspect ratios on the projector
    as required. That is yet one more jack/scan rate/aspect ratio combination
    that must be converged. (Neither the settings from 480p WS or 480i from the
    SVIDEO jack are close enough to provide a good picture).

    --Brian

    "Hasenpfeffer" <hasenpfeffer@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > the
    > > AVS forum on other users with this very same issue so I am definitely
    not
    > > alone. It just depends on the equipment that the box is being connected
    > > as to whether or not this automatic up-converting behavior will be an
    > > issue
    > > or not.
    > >
    > > --Brian
    > >
    > > "hasenpfeffer" <Meickemeier@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >> The settings button on the 8000Hd will also allow to switch between all
    > >> configured resolutions on the fly. Together with the zoom buttons it
    will
    > > do
    > >> about anything.
    > >> Nevermind - even though I really don't know what lesson you learned
    other
    > >> than you didn't know how to work the thing.

    I finally read through the the AVS thread. I guess what you mean with 480i
    is the S-video and composite video output. What I am talking about is the
    component 480i output and it is available anytime. Yes, it is true, once the
    box is in HD mode, the S-video and composite video output are not active.

    "Hasenpfeffer" wrote:

    >I finally read through the the AVS thread. I guess what you mean with 480i
    >is the S-video and composite video output. What I am talking about is the
    >component 480i output and it is available anytime. Yes, it is true, once the
    >box is in HD mode, the S-video and composite video output are not active.

    But the problem is with the Passport software enabling 420p or
    720p or 1080i (or any combination) automatically disables 480i
    even if you leave it selected in the Output Format menu.

    I think the only way to work around this would be to go several
    layers into the setup menu and disable all formats except 480i
    every time and that's just too much trouble.

    Randy:

    That's the ultimate reason that I took the SA8000HD DVR back to TWC. I
    think what Hasenpfeffer is saying is use your display to deal with SD
    upconverted to 480p. For my family and viewing habits, that's to much work
    (for the benefit of a HD DVR) but if you have smarter equipment It may be
    possible. For example, I have a fairly sophisticated remote which can play
    back macros, etc. Unfortunately, many of the menu items which must be
    controlled are multi-position toggles which can be com confused. My
    projector "remembers" what menu you were on when you exited. So if you go
    in to the menu system and change something else, the 16:9 and 4:3 aspect
    ratio macros do not work because you aren't in the proper place. There
    doesn't seem to be any way to anchor the menus and the project doesn't have
    any discrete codes for aspect ratio. For that mater, it doesn't even have a
    discrete on/off code. This is usually not a problem but the projector has
    been left powered up on more than one occasion since all of the other
    devices have non-toggle power sequences.

    --Brian

    > "Hasenpfeffer" wrote:
    >
    > >I finally read through the the AVS thread. I guess what you mean with
    480i
    > >is the S-video and composite video output. What I am talking about is the
    > >component 480i output and it is available anytime. Yes, it is true, once
    the
    > >box is in HD mode, the S-video and composite video output are not active.
    >
    > But the problem is with the Passport software enabling 420p or
    > 720p or 1080i (or any combination) automatically disables 480i
    > even if you leave it selected in the Output Format menu.
    >
    > I think the only way to work around this would be to go several
    > layers into the setup menu and disable all formats except 480i
    > every time and that's just too much trouble.

HDTV Explorer Home Theatre