Msvcr71.dll was not found

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
To the best of my knowledge, Msvcr71.dll is part of the Microsoft Visual C Run Time library and nothing to do with Java; contact the person who posted the app and ask.

Whatever you do, don't just download the DLL from a web site (unless it's direct from Microsoft.com), there are good number of sites offering DLL's for free download, some of them will also contain malware!

iambinary

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
"exist in %SystemRoot%\System32?" - yes
"What Java did you install?"- the lastest one; that's not the problem, like i said, i also reinstalled

"download the DLL from a web site (unless it's direct from Microsoft.com" - do you have a specific link to see if that solves the problem?

iambinary

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
first of all, i never knew Microsoft.com even had a search function. secondly, if someone knowledgable makes a comment like that and wants to help, they should appropriately put the link. it's not too difficult.

like the above reply shows an alternative that i didn't even know about. Now we people know what _helpful_ means.

If it can make you feel more comfortable, I downloaded msvcr71.dll from that link and it matches the one that I have on my system. I used fc and it found no differences at all. You're safe to download it and install it.

If you want it from Microsoft, then you'll have to buy a product that includes it.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
The DLL is no longer avilable from MS on it's own, it went end-of-life some time back and can now only be directly down-loaded as part of the full redistributable (via MSDN web site), the big question is why would a Java Applet require Microsoft VS 2003 runtime DLL's?

iambinary

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
"I downloaded msvcr71.dll from that.." - so after i dl this .dll where exactly do i put the file so i can check if the java applet now works or not.

"why would a Java Applet require Microsoft VS 2003 runtime DLL's?" - i dont know....

iambinary

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
msvcr71.dll is already in C:\WINDOWS\system32

should i delete it and add the new one?

also i'm not sure how to "register" a dll file.

You can check if they are the same version before replacing it. To register a DLL, you open it with regsvr32.exe. You'll probably have to right-click msvcr71.dll, select "Open with" and find the regsvr32.exe program in C:\WINDOWS\system32. A message should indicate successful registration if you have admin rights.

Edit: If a DLL that needs to be registered isn't, then applications won't find it.

iambinary

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
the dll file is the same version is the most recent one.

i tried registering the dll before and recieved a different error. i did it right now, and the error was

"msvcr71.dll" is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type.

any ideas?

Grandpajoe

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I was getting the Msvcr71.dll error when trying to start Real Player. I downloaded the DLL file from the above link and put it in C:\Windows\System32. I did not have to run anything. After putting the file in that folder, Real opened fine.

drisner

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Just an FYI. msvcr71.dll should be found in the bin directory of the JRE or JDK, so you don't actually have to download it from anywhere.

If you add the JDK or JRE bin directory to your path, it should pick up the dll. Or you can put it in the directory of your executable or in some other directory that is in the path.