Sony 51" HDTV & fixed/variable sound

I just got a Sony 51" CRT projection (KP51WS520) and a Sony HTIB (DAV-FR1).
This is along with a Motorola HDTV box from Comcast.

Ideally, I'd like to control the channel and volume with the Comcast remote,
which I can do with just the cable box and TV connected. But no dice if I
bring the receiver into the mix.

Right now, I have 5 component wires running from the Comcast box to the TV.

The TV has two Audio Out jacks (red & white) next to these 5 jacks. I ran
cables from the Audio Out jacks on the TV to the receiver's SAT Audio In
jacks.

This works as long as I have the TV set with the "Volume" setting at "Fixed"
(and TV speakers turn off of course). But that means I can't use the
Comcast remote to change the volume - I have to use the receiver remote.

The manual seems to say that I should be able to set the Volume setting to
"Variable" and then this would let me use the TV/Comcast remote to change
the volume - but when I have it set at "Variable", I get absolutely no sound
through the receiver. Only Fixed works.

Shouldn't Variable work? Anyone else have similar setup with this Sony TV?

Right now, I'm pretty disappointed in the whole setup - I need to juggle
three remotes. One for the Comcast box, the other if I want to change the
picture mode, etc. on the TV, and now a third to control the volume!
3 answers Last reply
More about sony hdtv fixed variable sound

    I have a Sony 50" Grand Wega and there is something strange about the way
    that audio out works. When I am on a digital channel, it outputs through
    the optical port just fine. It does not seem to convert the analog audio to
    digital out when tuned to an analog channel. When use the standard audio
    out jacks for analog channels, I had to crank the volume pretty high on the
    TV for this to be heard through my amplifier. Something is not quite right
    here, but I have not had time to figure it out.

    Jeff

    "JJ" <jj@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I just got a Sony 51" CRT projection (KP51WS520) and a Sony HTIB (DAV-FR1).
    >This is along with a Motorola HDTV box from Comcast.
    >
    > Ideally, I'd like to control the channel and volume with the Comcast
    > remote, which I can do with just the cable box and TV connected. But no
    > dice if I bring the receiver into the mix.
    >
    > Right now, I have 5 component wires running from the Comcast box to the
    > TV.
    >
    > The TV has two Audio Out jacks (red & white) next to these 5 jacks. I ran
    > cables from the Audio Out jacks on the TV to the receiver's SAT Audio In
    > jacks.
    >
    > This works as long as I have the TV set with the "Volume" setting at
    > "Fixed" (and TV speakers turn off of course). But that means I can't use
    > the Comcast remote to change the volume - I have to use the receiver
    > remote.
    >
    > The manual seems to say that I should be able to set the Volume setting to
    > "Variable" and then this would let me use the TV/Comcast remote to change
    > the volume - but when I have it set at "Variable", I get absolutely no
    > sound through the receiver. Only Fixed works.
    >
    > Shouldn't Variable work? Anyone else have similar setup with this Sony
    > TV?
    >
    > Right now, I'm pretty disappointed in the whole setup - I need to juggle
    > three remotes. One for the Comcast box, the other if I want to change the
    > picture mode, etc. on the TV, and now a third to control the volume!

    I have a Sony KDF-60XS955. You are right: the optical out (digital) audio
    port does not convert analog audio to digital and then output it. It only
    outputs digital audio when the channel you are tuned to has digital audio.
    To output both digital and analog audio to a receiver, you have to run
    optical to your receiver's digital input and analog to the receiver's analog
    input. If you have a receiver that is so-inclined, it will detect which
    channel the audio is coming through, defaulting to the digital audio if it
    is getting that.

    I keep TV set speakers OFF and audio out set to FIXED. One or the other of
    these has to be set this way when you are outputting audio to a receiver, as
    I recall. Don't recall at this moment how that is set up.

    My Panasonic receiver does that. But I have found that if I am watching a
    digital channel on the TV, with the digital audio outputting to the
    receiver, then I use the "Favorites" menu to move to an analog-audio
    channel, I lose audio completely. I believe this is because the TV does
    pick up on the fact that it now has to find and output analog audio. But if
    I move from a digital audio to an analog audio channel using "jump", moving
    up and down the channels using the channel selector or by inputting channel
    numbers, then the move from digital to analog audio takes place with no
    problem. So, if I go from, say INHD to Fox News by using "Favorites", I
    then have to jump back to INHD and back to Fox News in order to get the
    audio. A weird bug.

    I am pretty sure the bug is in the TV, not the receiver, because if only
    occurs when using "Favorites" and when moving between channels using "Twin
    View", not when changing channels manually.

    mack
    austin

    "Jeff Durham" <jdurham@outdoorlife.local> wrote in message
    >I have a Sony 50" Grand Wega and there is something strange about the way
    >that audio out works. When I am on a digital channel, it outputs through
    >the optical port just fine. It does not seem to convert the analog audio
    >to digital out when tuned to an analog channel. When use the standard
    >audio out jacks for analog channels, I had to crank the volume pretty high
    >on the TV for this to be heard through my amplifier. Something is not
    >quite right here, but I have not had time to figure it out.
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > "JJ" <jj@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I just got a Sony 51" CRT projection (KP51WS520) and a Sony HTIB
    >>(DAV-FR1). This is along with a Motorola HDTV box from Comcast.
    >>
    >> Ideally, I'd like to control the channel and volume with the Comcast
    >> remote, which I can do with just the cable box and TV connected. But no
    >> dice if I bring the receiver into the mix.
    >>
    >> Right now, I have 5 component wires running from the Comcast box to the
    >> TV.
    >>
    >> The TV has two Audio Out jacks (red & white) next to these 5 jacks. I
    >> ran cables from the Audio Out jacks on the TV to the receiver's SAT Audio
    >> In jacks.
    >>
    >> This works as long as I have the TV set with the "Volume" setting at
    >> "Fixed" (and TV speakers turn off of course). But that means I can't use
    >> the Comcast remote to change the volume - I have to use the receiver
    >> remote.
    >>
    >> The manual seems to say that I should be able to set the Volume setting
    >> to "Variable" and then this would let me use the TV/Comcast remote to
    >> change the volume - but when I have it set at "Variable", I get
    >> absolutely no sound through the receiver. Only Fixed works.
    >>
    >> Shouldn't Variable work? Anyone else have similar setup with this Sony
    >> TV?
    >>
    >> Right now, I'm pretty disappointed in the whole setup - I need to juggle
    >> three remotes. One for the Comcast box, the other if I want to change
    >> the picture mode, etc. on the TV, and now a third to control the volume!

    "JJ" <jj@nospam.com> wrote in message news:QfidnXiBWonAaXTcRVn-tA@comcast.com...
    > I just got a Sony 51" CRT projection (KP51WS520) and a Sony HTIB (DAV-FR1).
    > This is along with a Motorola HDTV box from Comcast.
    >
    > Ideally, I'd like to control the channel and volume with the Comcast remote,
    > which I can do with just the cable box and TV connected. But no dice if I
    > bring the receiver into the mix.
    >
    > Shouldn't Variable work? Anyone else have similar setup with this Sony TV?
    >
    > Right now, I'm pretty disappointed in the whole setup - I need to juggle
    > three remotes. One for the Comcast box, the other if I want to change the
    > picture mode, etc. on the TV, and now a third to control the volume!

    Your Comcast remote should be able to control 3 devices. At least
    mine does. Mine is a "Comcast Custom DVR 3-Device Universal Remote Control".

    Set it up to control your home theater receiver as an "Aux" device.
    Then change the "Volume Lock" to "Individual Volume Unlock". This
    enables the volume of the home theater to be controlled independent
    of the TV volume.

    Don

HDTV TV Sony Home Theatre