Windows XP welcome notices-VERY IRRITATING!!!

Hi,
Does anyone know how to get rid of Windows XP startup welcome notices.
I downloaded a registry editor and it had a tweak to add a startup
notice, I added one but then got rid of the software. I can't remember
what the software was so i am stuck with an irritating notice that
appears in a window before xp loads up the desktop. It doesn't even
carry on starting up windows xp, I have to press 'OK' to confirm I have
read it! Does anyone know how to get rid of it?!

--
manzaroli

manzaroli wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone know how to get rid of Windows XP startup welcome notices.
> I downloaded a registry editor and it had a tweak to add a startup
> notice, I added one but then got rid of the software. I can't remember
> what the software was so i am stuck with an irritating notice that
> appears in a window before xp loads up the desktop. It doesn't even
> carry on starting up windows xp, I have to press 'OK' to confirm I have
> read it! Does anyone know how to get rid of it?!

Well, the obvious solution is to use the same means to remove the
message that you initially used to create it. Unfortunately, you
haven't told us how you did it (and apparently don't know, yourself, as
strange as that seems), so we have no real way of definitively knowing
how to fix a "problem" that you deliberately created.

From your vague description, it sounds like you may have added a Legal
Notice to your startup sequence. If so, you should be able to use
Regedit.exe to edit the LegalNoticeCaption and LegalNoticeText values in
the registry.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Sat, 28 May 2005 09:42:27 +0000, manzaroli wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone know how to get rid of Windows XP startup welcome notices.
> I downloaded a registry editor and it had a tweak to add a startup
> notice, I added one but then got rid of the software. I can't remember
> what the software was so i am stuck with an irritating notice that
> appears in a window before xp loads up the desktop. It doesn't even
> carry on starting up windows xp, I have to press 'OK' to confirm I have
> read it! Does anyone know how to get rid of it?!

I think there's something in the policy editors (local security or group)
where you can add logon messages. You'll have to poke around a bit to find
it (recall seeing "add a message" but that's it). If you're lucky and
that's where that program added the message, you could disable it from
there without installing the software that originally added the message.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

LegalNoticeCaption (title)