new MOBO and CPU, problems recognizing drives

zoah

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Hey everyone, last sunday my PSU blew up. It was a 2 year old system, and I was aware that my PSU was garbage I just never really got a new one. Well I learned my lesson. I got a new Enermax FMA2 553W and installed to my old pc. It booted and evething appeared to be fine. I got into windows and everything. All of a sudden the PC shuts off and I can't turn it back on. My guess was that the old PSU fried something on my MOBO so I went ahead and basically got all new parts. Well here comes my problem:

I got a ASUS P5K motherboard, with a Core 2 Duo E6420 CPU, 2Gb memory and a new SATA HDD. I assembled everthing and it appears to have worked fine. I must add that this was my first time putting the MOBO and the PSU together, I've done everything else on my old computers. Anyway, I turn on the PC, get into BIOS and it does recognize my SATA HDD and my floppy drive, but not my IDE CD Drive. Now when I try to boot the computer, I can only do it using a boot disk, but I can't format my HDD or anything because I can't access C: . I don't understand, I see the hard drive on BIOS but i can't find it when i boot the computer. I also can't find my CD drive, which I need to install windows. The power is working just fine, but I can't even find it on the BIOS and my boot disk doesnt find it either.

What could be my problem? and how can I fix this?

zoah

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
So I went ahead and tried to put my old ATA HDD on my new MOBO to see if I can at least boot with what I had before. Well turns out that didn't work either. I can't even find the HDD in the BIOS. I realize that SATA is what i should be using on a new MOBO, but I imagine there is a way to boot my PC using a old Parallel ATA drive.
I just really want to know why I can't find my hard drives. Why does my SATA not have an assigned letter (ie. C: .) to it? Am I forgetting something? This is my first time using SATA HDD, and my MOBO has something called JMicron JMB363 Serial ATA RAID Connector, could that have anything to do with my problem? I dont even know what that's for.
I would appreciate any help. Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Make sure the SATA drive is plugged in to the SATA 1 connection and also try another cable. For the ATA drive make sure you have the correct jumper settings, either Cable Select or Master, and make sure the ATA drive is the first one on the Cable. If you have the ATA and Optical drive on the same cable the ATA should be set to Master and first on the cable and the optical set as Slave. Check the BIOS to make sure it's set to recognized both the SATA and the ATA drive. The manual should tell you where these settings are and what they should be

zoah

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I appreciate the repply. I'm not sure why it wasn't working before, but now I simply reset the BIOS and all of a sudden it works. I must have changed something I shouldn't.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I appreciate the repply. I'm not sure why it wasn't working before, but now I simply reset the BIOS and all of a sudden it works. I must have changed something I shouldn't.

Easy to accidentally change things, computers are not really as smart as they would like us to think. :D Glad you worked it out.