aralex

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I bought an HP Pavilion Elite m9350f, AMD Quadcore processor without an OS and I am trying to load an OEM Vista Home Ultimate. I start the computer and the software starts loading and gets to the page that shows a "Install now" button. I click it and a window comes up asking for CD/DVD drivers. I have none and have read that Vista should not have to have any added. I can't go any further. Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

I did a test using Diag tools and got an error message: BIOHD-3 No bootable drive detected. Yet in the BIOS all the drives are recognized and the Vista CD boots up from the DVD reader.

After reading another persons message, I wonder if don't have a bad Vista CD? It was in a sealed package when I bought it.

Thanks for any help.

Note The computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer. Or, contact the computer manufacturer.

To perform a clean installation of Windows Vista by starting the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:

Start the computer.
Insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive and then close the drive tray.
Restart the computer.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key.
Follow the instructions to install Windows Vista.
If Windows Vista is now running on your computer, you have completed the installation successfully.

If the installation does not finish or you receive an error message, and you are comfortable trying to troubleshoot the problem, go to the "Troubleshooting" section. If you are not comfortable trying to troubleshoot the issue, go to the “Next Steps” section.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

Well, boot the system into BIOS. In BIOS set the first boot device to DVD/CD. Place the Vista install DVD in the DVD tray, close the tray and SAVE AND EXIT BIOS. When the system reboots 'now to the install DVD' a message will appear, 'Press any key to boot to the DVD'. At that point press any key. That should start the Vista installation process.