Sign in with
Your question

Dual boot my old computer's hard drive (win2000) in new Vista machine?

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 22, 2009 9:51:55 PM

I am ready to build my first computer, already decided on components and everything. I haven't purchased anything yet, but I'm ready to. The problem is I don't have time to reinstall all my apps from scratch. I also don't have the space for two full computer setups.

What I'd like to do, is to take my old computer's 40GB hard drive, and just stick it into my new computer. Then I'd dual boot between my old computer's OS (win2000 sp4) and the new one (a fresh install of Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit). This way I can use my old stuff...at a MUCH faster speed :')...and gradually transfer everything over, at my own pace, via flash drives and whatever else.

I've never dual booted before. I never even considered doing so, and never thought to use my old computer's hard disk, until yesterday. I'm looking stuff up on the web, but at the moment it's all above my head.

So what is the easiest way to go about this? Can I just stick my five year old drive into the new computer? Will it just work in my new computer? The motherboard is going to be ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail .

Thanks for any advice.

FYI: I'm not a computer newbie, but I'm a programmer/software guy.
May 23, 2009 2:49:08 AM

Is the old drive IDE? What motherboard do you have in your old computer? That info is required to answer your question.

Are Windows 2000 drivers available for all components that you'll have in the new system?
m
l
May 23, 2009 6:50:37 AM

You'll likely have to do a repair install of 2K to get it to work on the new motherboard... you'll be greeted by blue screens otherwise. Make sure that drivers are still available for your devices under 2K... as support for it has been discontinued.
m
l
May 23, 2009 12:30:48 PM

IMO putting your 40G Win2K HDD in an External USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure would be a better idea.
m
l
Related resources
!