Sign in with
Your question

How to kill a motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 30, 2007 5:33:18 AM

Hello,

A friend of mine bought a computer at futureshop 6 months ago, it was a demo but he didnt know it, 4 months later, it is slow and buggy than ever, he paid for the extented warranty including changing the whole thing if its not possible to repair.

2 months ago he gave the pc to their tech support, they kept it for 6 weeks, and the problems are still there. He gave it back and they said that all computers are buggy, and its like a feature, not a bug..

Can you help me to make that motherboard dead once and for all please, I know it could be hacking-phreaking whatever but the tech support in this Futureshop is really annoying, they wont change the computer.

there is not voltage option in the bios, however we do have a soldering iron.

Thanks in advance! :) 

More about : kill motherboard

May 30, 2007 5:48:32 AM

I don't even know if this is appropriate for this forum, but you definately do not want to solder anything on the board - that's like shooting it with a gun or using it as a cutting board, all things which will probably void the warranty.

So I'm pretty sure any markers of damage will void the warranty.
May 30, 2007 6:29:51 AM

a really simple way, pour water on it... or flash a bad bios..
Related resources
May 30, 2007 6:49:04 AM

Have you tried reinstalling the OS, updating all drivers, defrag the HD...?
A lot of things can happen in 4 months that will degrade performance.
Do you have the system specs?
May 30, 2007 7:30:57 AM

Quote:
Have you tried reinstalling the OS, updating all drivers, defrag the HD...?
A lot of things can happen in 4 months that will degrade performance.
Do you have the system specs?

I agree, trying to break the system may not be the best course of action. Especially if you are caught out. Then you will have a busted system and that store will probably never honour any warranty from you at all.
May 30, 2007 7:55:51 AM

Fraud's not cool. Forget the idea of destruction. Try to find out the info of each piece of hardware in the pc.
cpuid pcwizard07 is free and can do it. you can update the motherboards bios and other hardware's drivers in the pc. After you use pcwizard07 you could post the info here and someone could help you alot better.
May 30, 2007 7:55:57 AM

Everybody else has given the right answer, you probably shouldnt do it, but this is what I would do if I want to kill a mobo.

1) Rub your feet on a carpet to build up a static charge, touch the mobo. Repeat.

2) Like rammedstein said, flash a crap BIOS. I wouldnt poor water on it, since the board could still be moist or something when you return it. And, that's not guarantee to do it. I've seen people wash mobos before.

3) Buy crappy, $10 psu, plug it into the board, overload the piss out of it until it fails.

4) Take apart a camera with a flash, charge the capacitor (usually in the 350-500 volt range.), touch the anode and cathe to different parts of the mobo.

5) Alligator clamp + 9v battery + mobo capacitor = new mobo.
May 30, 2007 1:02:28 PM

thank you for your answers.

I forgot to mantion that the chipset fan makes annoying noise from time to time, they didnt change it, and yes i know its around 5$ to replace it, the psu makes horrible noise, and yes i know it could be replaced and it cost around 40$.

But there is the fact that my friend wanted the latest computer at that time and they gave him an old A64 with DDR1, at the same price.

What they did was to change the hard drive and the system is still bugging, the motherboard is a no name, cannot find the bios, all drivers are of course updated, with nod32 anti virus, so I dont think its the user problem here..

- I don't beleive putting water on a motherboard would kill it, since it will automaticaly shutdown

- the OS has been reinstalled by them on a new hard drive, we did update the drivers, but the noise is still there, and bugs happens when you come back 1 hour later, even with screensavers off.

- cannot detect motherboard name

1) static just shutdown the motherboard, so it doesnt work

2) cannot flash with crap bios since cannot detect the good one, except if you tell me there is a way to override something? :D  that would be the best solutions!

3) crappy psu would take a long time to kill it, and we want to change it now

4) we dont have a camera flash..

5) I think I love that idea with battery, do you mean a small battery such a s this one would do the work?

Thanks again!
May 30, 2007 2:29:04 PM

Yeah, I'd say 9v of power randomly surging through various circuits would do it.

A sure fire way of destroying the mobo would be to remove one of the capacitors and solder a 12v AC/DC transformer (a crappy power brick from a thrift store will work) to the empty spots, plug the transformer in (that alone might even to do), and power up the computer. After the board is dead, resolder the cap in place and return. Not exactly the smartest thing to do, but it would work.

The dunking in water thing will work eventually if the mobo is plugged in. It's the same principle as the 9v, just over a wider area.

Oh, and the flash cap thing was a joke. Those things are strong enough to kill you if handled incorrectly.

If you want my opinion, if you can't get them or the manufacturer to fix it, cut your loses and move on. You should still kill the mobo and the rest of the computer for fun though.
May 30, 2007 3:04:58 PM

beware: i think if you open the box, the warranty will void!
first: try to fix this with the shop, the reasonable way!

if not:
- shortcut the AGP/pci-express slot wit a few wires
- take a (old) rasor knife from gilette (you know; this one: http://www.uh.edu/engines/gillett2.jpg)
and a little cut in one of the electric paths, almost impossible to see!
- do something creative; basic rule: give something a little too much power and it will break!
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2007 3:09:50 PM

:trophy:I give this the thread of the day award! :trophy:

Building a static charge by rubbing your feet on the carpet, the 9v battery, and the bad BiOS flash are my favorite. Brilliant! 8)
May 30, 2007 3:16:11 PM

short circuit motherboard by allowing it to be in contact with the metal case. put a piece of metal betwwen mobo and the case and turn it on. OOOOPPSSS!!! :lol: 

actually i unintentionally killed one mobo i had short circuiting it :x
May 30, 2007 3:20:00 PM

wave a magnet over the bios chip.
May 30, 2007 3:28:38 PM

nice replies! I'm gonna try those ideas this evening

I will try this in order :

apt403 idea : 12v AC/DC transformer on capacitors

duthoy idea : shortcut the pci-express slot wit a few wire

Valdis idea : put a piece of metal betwwen mobo and the case

C_deck idea : wave a magnet over the bios chip
May 30, 2007 3:52:45 PM

The warnings about warranty fraud already seen are very applicable.

Now if I was going to "test the durability limits" of a mobo, I would focus a heat gun or hair dryer on the chipset or CPU while it was running....until it stopped running, then I would see if it would restart when it cooled down.

This way you will have subjected it to 5 years of use/heat in a shorter time span and found out if it would have lasted 5 years. :twisted:
May 30, 2007 3:58:04 PM

bios ROM chips don't use magnetic media to save settings/data, waving a magnet over it will have no effect unless you are using a magnet big enough to knock the bios chip off the mobo.

leaving marks/evidence of your attempts can hinder your attempts to have the warranty serviced, be careful and wear eye protection. :lol: 
May 30, 2007 6:01:01 PM

A friend of mine once killed a motherboard (unintentionally) this way:

With the system running, one of the +12v leads normally seated in the molex power connector attached to his CD drive came loose and fell out of the connector, skidded across the motherboard, created a couple nice blue sparks and resulted in instant death to the mobo. :( 

[DISCLAIMER]: I am in no way suggesting you should cause something similar to happen to your system, as that would make me an accomplice to warranty fraud, which I want no part of. I was just relating an anecdote that applies to the topic.[/DISCLAIMER]

My friend ended up purchasing new MB/CPU/RAM (vastly upgraded). Maybe it wasn't so "unintentional" after all! :o 
May 30, 2007 9:01:33 PM

The quickest and most surefire way I can think of would be...buy a cheap raidmax powersupply, especially one that comes with a case, just hook it up and let nature take it's course.
May 30, 2007 11:14:19 PM

This is too easy, first you can try what one of our genius customer did:

1. pull wires out of free hd power
2. pull wires out of p4 connector
3. stick now loose hd wires into p4 connector
4. Power on

Results = Dead Mobo

Warning = Ofcourse you could hurt yourself so I have to toss in the obligatory warning... HEALTH WARNING: Alcohol in beer, wine & liquor can cause intoxication, addiction, birth defects.

Ok now that we have that out of the way the idea of using a heat gun from your local hardware store to pop the caps is fantastic there should be some big juicy ones in that old mobo just waiting to end its own life. Hold that heat gun over em for a while "heat guns get crazy hot" and once they starting pussing orange stuff that mobo will be ready to serve. Good luck and try not kill anyone. Also I would appreciate it if you didnt buy any warranty products from my store.
May 30, 2007 11:47:25 PM

can you seriously plug HD/DVD Power into P4/AMD CPU Power??? wow!!!
May 31, 2007 12:09:40 AM

Quote:
Hello,

A friend of mine bought a computer at futureshop 6 months ago, it was a demo but he didnt know it, 4 months later, it is slow and buggy than ever, he paid for the extented warranty including changing the whole thing if its not possible to repair.

2 months ago he gave the pc to their tech support, they kept it for 6 weeks, and the problems are still there. He gave it back and they said that all computers are buggy, and its like a feature, not a bug..

Can you help me to make that motherboard dead once and for all please, I know it could be hacking-phreaking whatever but the tech support in this Futureshop is really annoying, they wont change the computer.

Good luck, I just emailed that company with a link to this post.

FRAUD=WRONG.

Tell me, when someone doesnt know about computers, and the salesman tell the customer that this computer is great, the latest, and if he is having any trouble with it, the optionnal warranty will change it without asking question and in reality, the salesman is selling the oldest computer of the store, used by everyone, which has problems, and when they saw it coming they refused to help..

what would you do if it was your friend?

oh maybe you are mr law and you want to play it by the book, well if you really are that person (I hope Im wrong about my statement to you) then good luck to you with your relationships..
May 31, 2007 12:20:03 AM

what a dumbass
May 31, 2007 12:24:13 AM

Quote:
Hello,

wow! these are the kinds of things that really piss me off. coming from a techs point of view, you said you had the computer for four months before it got bad!?!?!?!?!
if there was a problem with the PC you would have noticed it right away!!!

its actually YOUR fault the PC is "BUGGY" and slow. how much crap has he downloaded and installed. lemme guess, youve tried regmechanic to make it "faster". and so since your not happy you want to make it hell for the techs who do honest work, and physically break the machine? if i worked at this shop i would ask you never to come back again. period.

prople like you dont deserve computers. :evil: 
May 31, 2007 12:25:34 AM

$100 says limewire is on the desktop.
May 31, 2007 12:30:47 AM

Quote:
Hello,

wow! these are the kinds of things that really piss me off. coming from a techs point of view, you said you had the computer for four months before it got bad!?!?!?!?!
if there was a problem with the PC you would have noticed it right away!!!

its actually YOUR fault the PC is "BUGGY" and slow. how much crap has he downloaded and installed. lemme guess, youve tried regmechanic to make it "faster". and so since your not happy you want to make it hell for the techs who do honest work, and physically break the machine? if i worked at this shop i would ask you never to come back again. period.

prople like you dont deserve computers. :evil: 

My friend is new with computers, so he didnt know what good and bad was for a computer.

So he couldnt notice it right away

its not his fault if the pc is buggy, if you read careful what I said before, there are problems with the motherboards, there are weird sound from chipset fan and the system hang, even after they changed the hard drive and reinstalled it

no regmechanic, no p2p was installed, only genuine games

I dont understand why you generalize what you are thinking, did I say something that made you bring that?

Its system failure, I know what you mean but you are wrong on this point, please read before accusing and bringing negative here tks
May 31, 2007 12:32:00 AM

Quote:

you owe me 100$

pm me I will give you my paypal account ;) 
May 31, 2007 12:41:48 AM

Quote:

you owe me 100$

all i had to do was read your first post to know where this was going.

and if this place really is as bad as you say.
1. get your money back from the purchase.
2. dont go there anymore. (this seems to be very hard for difficult customers to learn).
3.If it is the system, why wait 4 months?
4.They will probably send your frauded mobo in for an RMA in which INTEL (most likely the manufacturer of your no name mobo) will find what you have done to make it not work, and hopefully this will end in court.

wadj you can go PM yourself!

and for the rest of you, i am dissapointed to see that you would so readily help someone commit fraud instead of giving them constructive help in fixing their "Bugs".
May 31, 2007 12:47:58 AM

Quote:

you owe me 100$

all i had to do was read your first post to know where this was going.

and if this place really is as bad as you say.
1. get your money back from the purchase.
2. dont go there anymore. (this seems to be very hard for difficult customers to learn).
3.If it is the system, why wait 4 months?
4.They will probably send your frauded mobo in for an RMA in which INTEL (most likely the manufacturer of your no name mobo) will find what you have done to make it not work, and hopefully this will end in court.

wadj you can go PM yourself!

and for the rest of you, i am dissapointed to see that you would so readily help someone commit fraud instead of giving them constructive help in fixing their "Bugs".

Its your fault here, you just read first post, and you didnt continue..

1. can't get the money back after 30 days
2. He did understand that, but you must agree that with those ads people that dont know anything about computer rush for the price
3. as I previously said, He doesnt know about computers, it tooks someone that know a bit to tell him why is it that slow and buggy and etc.
4. they can send the motherboard, they will send a new one (not defective I hope) and he will enjoy a silent pc

you dont seem to be a man of word, you bet, you lost, you pay now..
May 31, 2007 12:54:35 AM

ok so if they wont honor their word then why dont you prove how buggy it is smart ass.
run:
SeaTools, to check IDE controller, ram, Hard drive, and NTFS.

also run memtest just for fun. if it fails, show them the results either in the store or print it out and show them.

by the way your english is horrible. yes they will RMA the board, and yes you will get caught for tampering with it no matter what you do. no i will not pay you any money as you dont deserve anything except a smack in the face. i will pay you that if you want.

also dont ask for help screwing techs here, cause i have nothing better to do then to flame you about it. :lol: 
May 31, 2007 1:20:27 AM

Quote:
ok so if they wont honor their word then why dont you prove how buggy it is smart ass.
run:
SeaTools, to check IDE controller, ram, Hard drive, and NTFS.

also run memtest just for fun. if it fails, show them the results either in the store or print it out and show them.

by the way your english is horrible. yes they will RMA the board, and yes you will get caught for tampering with it no matter what you do. no i will not pay you any money as you dont deserve anything except a smack in the face. i will pay you that if you want.

also dont ask for help screwing techs here, cause i have nothing better to do then to flame you about it. :lol: 

my english may be horrible, but I have the respect to take the time to hear what people are saying, and then try to argue I'm not "knowitall" as you may be, but again I try to find solutions with people.

I'm not interested in having a challenge with you.

But thank for the idea of the software tests, maybe you would agree that its not the customer to do that kind of test but the store where you paid it and specialy when you paid double price for extended warranties..
May 31, 2007 2:18:41 AM

Quote:
But thank for the idea of the software tests, maybe you would agree that its not the customer to do that kind of test but the store where you paid it and specially when you paid double price for extended warranties..

I tend to agree. I had this problem with Sony (not with a computer but stick with me). I bought a home theater in a box from Best Buy and after 3 months the system stopped playing CDs (it was a multi disc DVD system) and then started screwing up DVDs. So I called tech support and they had me pay $60 to ship it to them for repairs. Fine. Got it back ~2 weeks later with some sort of service log so I plugged it in, still broken. Called them again, shipped it to them again. It came back again, still broken. For a third time I shipped it to them (this time they paid for shipping) and it came back broken. Finally on the fourth time they just sent me the "new" version which wasn't any better. I summarily donated it to a friend who had no sort of surround sound.

It is events like these that piss people off. The company should honor its word that it will replace defective components. Theoretically you could take them to court over violations of the Uniform Commercial Code but it wouldn't be worth the time and effort. The legal route is of course the "official" route but a slight "mishap" with the mobo saves everyone time and money. Would you, as a company, rather deal with pissed off customers in court who will do immense damage to your reputation and drive away customers or simply replace a faulty mobo that should have been replaced alot earlier in the time line?

One happy customer tells one friend, one unhappy customer tells ten. You do the math.
May 31, 2007 3:11:25 AM

If your willing to go as far as breaking the computer to get a new one why don't you just reformat and reinstall XP since that will have to happen anyway if you get the new computer.

All the time you have taken to try and figure out a scam could have been used to wipe everything clean and have it all back to normal. If this doesn't work then maybe go the route of what you've been considering.

This happens more often then not a company taking advantage of a customer that looks like they might not be educated in that product. It's too bad we couldn't hear both sides of the story and see if maybe your friend is just really that clueless.

Nevertheless, one method you might consider is sticking a ram stick in that isn't designed to be in that motherboard. Years ago with my P3 1 gig computer I made the horrible mistake of taking advice from Bestbuy. They told me the ram I had in my other computer was backwards compatible with the computer I just bought. I stuck it in and heard some zapping sounds and then that was it, the computer never booted up after that. I was holding off on buying ram because I was going to use the money for something else is why I didn't buy ram for this computer in the first place so thought the ram from the old computer would hold me over. I went out a bought the correct ram type for the computer and acted dumbfounded about what happened when I brought it in to the computer place that built this computer for me. They ran tests and couldn't figure out why the motherboard went bad and just replaced it for me, I was shocked that they couldn't figure it out. This wasn't some place where they don't know what they're doing either. Maybe at that time/era of motherboards there wasn't a way to tell if using the wrong type of ram would be noticed.

It wasn't a very honest thing to do but if anyone should have been held liable it should have been the pricks and Bestbuy saying, "Oh yea that ram will work just fine." If you don't know the correct answer don't just make some bs up to get off the phone faster. Ugh, I'll never trust anything employee's say at Bestbuy after this incident.

On a side note, that P3 1 gig computer is still going strong to this day. Just has a loud CPU fan =_=.
May 31, 2007 10:43:50 AM

Quote:

One happy customer tells one friend, one unhappy customer tells ten. You do the math.

No!

It's the three-eleven rule!

One happy customer tells three friends, one unhappy customer tells eleven
May 31, 2007 12:23:48 PM

I run around the streets of San Francisco screaming "Newegg! Buy stuff from Newegg!" at the top of my lungs. Which category does that fall under?
May 31, 2007 12:52:34 PM

Quote:
I run around the streets of San Francisco screaming "Newegg! Buy stuff from Newegg!" at the top of my lungs. Which category does that fall under?

Typical San Francisco fruitcake??? :lol: 
May 31, 2007 1:25:39 PM

while burning out a motherboard sounds like fun, it's probably not as much fun when you're doing it in hopes of getting a replacement. I know several have suggested, but i thought i'd try it again (as my good deed for the day). Why not diagnose what exactly is failing/wrong with the machine and then try to negotiate amicably (at first.)
It's always easier to deal with people in situations like these when you seem to know what you're talking about and you can get proof such as diagnosis print out.
If this fails why not just make a scene? Now I work in retail and totally hate it when customers do this, and i myself don't do this (as i've been fortunate enough to avoid this type of situation), but there's not much that can't be obtained in a store with an old fashion scene, especially if you're presenting cold hard facts.
As well this way you don't have anything to lose and heck, you might even LEARN that you don't even have a hardware problem.

Yeah funny how you just mentioned that the machine is "buggy" , but never actually mentioned any of the symptoms. You know these forums are filled with really knowlegable, and helpfull people (they won't even charge you) that could probably diagnose what's wrong with your machine had you just listed some symptoms. Sure you or your buddy spent the coin for the extended warranty, but the best lessons in life aren't free, and if you took the time to LEARN something productive here you most likely wouldn't need to get extended warranty again, or a pre-built pc for that matter.
May 31, 2007 1:33:57 PM

Rofl, you guys scare me..
May 31, 2007 1:35:19 PM

JUST MICROWAVE IT!!1
May 31, 2007 1:58:06 PM

Quote:

No!

It's the three-eleven rule!

One happy customer tells three friends, one unhappy customer tells eleven

You get the idea don't you? Let us no quibble of such minute details. The point is the same and the exact numbers are in flux. I've used the 1:10 you us 3:11... meh.
May 31, 2007 2:12:43 PM

Jump up and down on it :lol: 

*pencil modd* :roll:

or you could always use ol'faithfull
May 31, 2007 2:23:41 PM

did it work?? i really want to know...

i have a board which i suspect that the heat sensors in is bad, i would like to know what to do if they do the same thing with me ( i gathered my PC parts so i will dealing with the manufacturer...)
May 31, 2007 4:05:01 PM

So, what ARE the symptoms of this "buggy" (i.e. feature filled :twisted: ) computer??

What are the system specs??
May 31, 2007 4:11:30 PM

we will try this evening or tomorrow.

As I said, symptoms are, chipset fan making horrible noise, the tech support changed the hard drive coz it had strange noise too and was defectivem, they reinstalled but the windows is still buggy, we didnt install anything else but games, no msn, no p2p, no softwares.

from time to time the computer is freezing.

It cannot be the memory, we tested it previously, so it can only be the motherboard, and thats the goal of this thread, to kill it to gain another one, since the tech support there, says it takes 3 returns to change it.. so lets change it once and for all..

we only did 1 return.. hope it wont take 2 more to go..

edit :

system specs are:

A64 3800 X2 I think
no name motherboard
1GB DDR they changed it to Kingston, coz last time it was no name and defective too..
320 GB Seagate
GFX Nvidia 6200 64MB
Windows XP MCE
May 31, 2007 4:12:04 PM

admitting firstly that we are taking the OP at his written word, . but.... the store should have disclosed to the buyer that the system was "used"/a demo when purchased and the response from the repair person that "all computers are buggy" is not satisfactory.

did the store fix the noisey chipset fan?

"freezing" is usually caused by a software "process".

the "no name" mobo has to have a part number/manufacturer number on it somewhere. the store had to have some kind of system specs which included part makers.
May 31, 2007 5:34:03 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you'd like to volunteer to go to Future Shop headquarters and teach their salespeople to stop selling with misinformation and lies?

Everyone who has ever purchased a PC at Future Shop learns that the sales people are taught to use as many buzz words as they can, but have no clue about what they're selling.

Really, I have no idea why anyone would buy a PC from a big box store. Would you buy a car from Sears? How about a TV from Safeway? No. You wouldn't.
May 31, 2007 6:42:26 PM

Quote:
a really simple way, pour water on it... or flash a bad bios..

Or reset in the middle of writing the Bios.
May 31, 2007 6:54:11 PM

GFX Nvidia 6200 64MB

Thats probably your main problem, Try a better card.
May 31, 2007 6:58:35 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you'd like to volunteer to go to Future Shop headquarters and teach their salespeople to stop selling with misinformation and lies?

Everyone who has ever purchased a PC at Future Shop learns that the sales people are taught to use as many buzz words as they can, but have no clue about what they're selling.

Really, I have no idea why anyone would buy a PC from a big box store. Would you buy a car from Sears? How about a TV from Safeway? No. You wouldn't.

yes i would! i hate when customers get takin advantage of.

but i also hate when customers wait months on end then decide that its the stores fault and "they need to fix it now!" as i have been told countless times.

and until he runs some tests "which are very easy for anyone to run", i have already givin examples of some good ones, and find out exactly what is wrong and tell the shop.

he can continue to whine and complain.
May 31, 2007 7:07:55 PM

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the PC instead of the retail outlet?

List the specs for us, which I think others have suggested.

Also, you mention that the original buyer did not notice the 'bugginess' of the computer, so was it your trained computer skills that figured this out? Was your friend happy with the computer?

Cheap PCs are just that, cheap. Slow hard drives (5400rpm) can make a computer seem abnormally (buggy) slow to those used to using faster drives. Integrated video cards, audio, etc. can have the same affect. Some manufacturers pile on the extra software to pad their earnings; have you cleaned of all the junk? Try a fresh OS install?

Run some tests, prove the buggy conditions you claim to witness. An extended warranty does not cover extensive performance testing in most cases. Certainly they should replace the noisy fan, but other than that it seems like your friend got a cheap computer for a cheap price. Maybe he should have consulted you prior to the purchase. I certainly would not buy a car without doing some research, yet people think that a computer is a computer and buy on price. I am sure the profit margin on this computer was not much different than it is for the more expensive ones and most likely was worse for the store. They will sell you whatever you are willing to pay for, and it sounds like your friend wen the cheap route.

P.S. Never buy an extended warranty, ever.
a c 117 V Motherboard
May 31, 2007 7:31:37 PM

Quote:
Everybody else has given the right answer, you probably shouldnt do it, but this is what I would do if I want to kill a mobo.

1) Rub your feet on a carpet to build up a static charge, touch the mobo. Repeat.

2) Like rammedstein said, flash a crap BIOS. I wouldnt poor water on it, since the board could still be moist or something when you return it. And, that's not guarantee to do it. I've seen people wash mobos before.

3) Buy crappy, $10 psu, plug it into the board, overload the piss out of it until it fails.

4) Take apart a camera with a flash, charge the capacitor (usually in the 350-500 volt range.), touch the anode and cathe to different parts of the mobo.

5) Alligator clamp + 9v battery + mobo capacitor = new mobo.

Best post EVER!!!!

short USB power to data, or anywhere else....lets say USB to PS2 = dead port at the least.
!