ESata boot for a laptop

zilla_g

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Hi all

i have Vista 32bit Ultimate on my laptop and want to install the 64bit ultimate on it. Just to be safe i want to install it on another harddrive, so ill need to buy a new one.

I was wondering if i buy an eSATA hdd and plug it to my laptop's esata port, can i boot vista 64 ultimate from that hdd?

The thing is i can get 10,000rpm SATA hdd but it wont fit in the laptop (which supports 2.5inch hdd). So i pressume i can put this 10000rpm hdd into a caddy. Plug the power into it, and hook it up to my laptop with the eSATA connection and boot from there? Will this 10000rpm hdd (plugged via caddy into eSATA) be faster than an internally plugged 2.5inch SATA 7200rpm hdd?

The ultimate aim is to make my computer faster. - it already has 4gb ram. 2.53ghz core2 processor. But its not enough, and my programs only use one core, maximum.. so its the RAM and the HDD i can improve with..

Can anyone make suggestions, and comment on whether i can actually do this with a laptop ? - boot the OS from a eSATA ?

Your urgency would be greatly appreciated!

-zilla

xfx1979

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I think u should go to the bios menu of ur laptop and make sure if there is the boot option of esata.
But even there is, it is not all mainboard can boot the os successfully. Some one need a latest bios and others maybe just can't. I strongly suggest u call the support of ur laptop or search it with the exact type of laptop.