Sign in with
Your question

Error message when trying to delete a program

Last response: in Windows XP
March 29, 2009 10:58:08 PM

Hi,

I have low disk space on my computer so I am trying to uninstall a program. It's called microsoft frontpage. It's not in add remove programs. So I went in "desktop", "my computer", "Local Disk (c:) ", "program files", "microsoft frontpage", "delete". This message appears:

"Cannot delete bin: It is being used by another person or program.

Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

I closed all the running programs. Then I tried again and the same message appeared.

March 30, 2009 12:10:47 AM

Did you use task manager to terminate FrontPage processes? Did you boot in safe mode and try to delete the folder?

If I were you, I'd get rid of it in the registry (after saving a copy), reboot the system and delete the folder. I would also buy a larger disk.
April 2, 2009 8:27:56 PM

What are the processes for frootpage in task manager? I did boot in safe mode. Then I deleted the folder. Then I restarted windows xp normaly and the folder is still there. How can I access the registry.
Related resources
April 2, 2009 8:52:58 PM

Is the folder complete? Instead of deleting it, rename it and you'll see if it causes problems. Also check if it gets recreated.

If you're asking how to access the registry, then you shouldn't as you'll probably get yourself in trouble and end up with a system that no longer works properly.
April 2, 2009 10:58:32 PM

What do you mean is the folder complet?

I am trying to create more space on the harddrive. I don't think if I rename a file it will do that.

You can tell me how to access the registry and what to delete in it.
April 3, 2009 1:54:42 AM

I meant "After deleting it and rebooting, does the folder contain all files that it used to contain?" If so, then System Restore is active (check System Properties, System Restore). You could disable it to save disk space, but then deleted system/program files can't automatically be restored. To delete the FrontPage folder permanently, System Restore should be disabled. You can (and probably should) enable it again after rebooting.

You access the registry at your own risks with RegEdit. You delete all keys that contain "FrontPage" or whatver Microsoft used. Backup your registry before deleting keys (right-click My Computer, Export).
April 4, 2009 11:11:30 PM

I click start, programs, accesories, sytem tools, system restore then a window appears. But I can't disable system restore with this window.

So what your saying is that I should disable system restore, then delete the frontpage folder. (I will do that in normal windows xp) then enable system restore again?

I right-clicked my computer and export is not in the drop down list.
April 5, 2009 12:40:15 AM

Quote:
I click start, programs, accesories, sytem tools, system restore then a window appears. But I can't disable system restore with this window.
How about Control Panel, System, System Restore?

Quote:
I right-clicked my computer and export is not in the drop down list.
If you have full admin rights, then RegEdit will allow you to export the registry.
April 5, 2009 8:50:41 PM

I turned off system restore then when I delete the folder "microsoft frontpage". This message appeares:

Cannot delete bin: It is being used by another person or program.

Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

I don't know what to do here.
April 5, 2009 9:29:58 PM

Using task manager, terminate the process(es) that are used by FrontPage. Another method that often works is to rename the folder, reboot the system and then delete it.
!