Pathetic Manafacturers Drivers

WTF is with stupid manufacturers making all sorts of chips without common driver sets to match? The worst iv seen:

SoundMax (ADI) sound chips all require different drivers yet Realtek can make a series use the same drivers.

ATi (and nvidia im sure is the same) cant make a common set for ALL laptops so we get forced to use old, outdated manufacturer drivers (or "hacked" drivers)

Nvidia chipsets need all sorts of different drivers yet Intel can pull it off in a single package etc (chipset wise atleast)

Any comments from your experiences?

randomizer

Champion
The driver downloads would be too large if they had to be compatible with every chip (and therefore have files specific to certain series of chips), particularly when crossing a generation gap with large changes to how the hardware functions.

EDIT: Although I see your point in that some manufacturers seem to be able to do it.

The driver downloads would be too large if they had to be compatible with every chip (and therefore have files specific to certain series of chips), particularly when crossing a generation gap with large changes to how the hardware functions.

EDIT: Although I see your point in that some manufacturers seem to be able to do it.

I understand that but im talkin bout like pathetic little things like needing specific drivers etc - today i went looking for drivers for a Compaq Deskpro EN desktop system with Integrated SoundMAX ADI 1885, i went through 10 different driver sets to get em working - all for the "1885" chipset, only one working - WTF is so hard about making something unified? I love realtek sound drivers, if its not AC97 its the HD audio drivers - EASY.

ATi display drivers - they will not work with the ATI installer yet if you manually install the drivers or use some tools to mod the drivers it will work.

Oh btw i should explain - im a tech for a computer store, i got drivers for everything, i do hundereds of installs a week, when you keep having to get new drivers for specific manufacturers (namely soundmax/adi, ati etc) it becomes annoying hence why i make this thread here.

BTW, i complain about ATi because 80%+ of laptops use there gpus so i see more of em.

oh and as for huge driver downloads, some soundmax drivers are like 25+ mb, similar size to any other unified drivers.