Standard cable TV on a Sharp LCD TV = bad quality...

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 16, 2005 6:55:20 PM

Hi,

I have a Sharp LCD TV (30") which support HDTV.

When I look standard TV through standard cable (analog, not digital)
The quality is poor during TV playback, but not during advertising time ;-)
Specialy during moves.
I know my cable is not as good as expected.

Does the problem is linked to the LCD or by the conversion of the analog
signal to a digital signal?
If I use a standard HDTV TV (Like a Sony) I continue to have poor image
quality?

Thanks for your guide.

Jerome.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:16:28 AM

"Jéjé" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I have a Sharp LCD TV (30") which support HDTV.
>
> When I look standard TV through standard cable (analog, not digital)
> The quality is poor during TV playback, but not during advertising
> time ;-) Specialy during moves.
> I know my cable is not as good as expected.

Most cable companies are using digital signals over at least part of the
path. Some satellite companies (my own included) have a tendency to
compress the bloody HEdoublehockeysticks out of some SD programming.
Fortunately mine spends most of this effort on shopping and weather
channels where resolution is not a high priority for me. But commercials
are what pay the freight and they are often recorded and produced in much
better quality than the program material itself.

> Does the problem is linked to the LCD or by the conversion of the
> analog signal to a digital signal?

> If I use a standard HDTV TV (Like a Sony) I continue to have poor
> image quality?

Probably. You may not NOTICE it so much on a cheap non-HD television,
but the fuzziness is still there if there is heavy compression somewhere
in the signal path.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

January 17, 2005 12:16:29 AM

thanks.

What I found strange is the difference of the quality between programs.
For example, I have just watch a Star treck episode, the quality is bad,
just after there is a documentary and the quality is good.
If I get a digital decoder I'll get the same quality every time?

"Dave Oldridge" <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote in message
> "Jéjé" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Sharp LCD TV (30") which support HDTV.
>>
>> When I look standard TV through standard cable (analog, not digital)
>> The quality is poor during TV playback, but not during advertising
>> time ;-) Specialy during moves.
>> I know my cable is not as good as expected.
>
> Most cable companies are using digital signals over at least part of the
> path. Some satellite companies (my own included) have a tendency to
> compress the bloody HEdoublehockeysticks out of some SD programming.
> Fortunately mine spends most of this effort on shopping and weather
> channels where resolution is not a high priority for me. But commercials
> are what pay the freight and they are often recorded and produced in much
> better quality than the program material itself.
>
>> Does the problem is linked to the LCD or by the conversion of the
>> analog signal to a digital signal?
>
>> If I use a standard HDTV TV (Like a Sony) I continue to have poor
>> image quality?
>
> Probably. You may not NOTICE it so much on a cheap non-HD television,
> but the fuzziness is still there if there is heavy compression somewhere
> in the signal path.
>

> --
> Dave Oldridge+
> ICQ 1800667
>
> A false witness is worse than no witness at all.

Related resources
January 17, 2005 12:16:30 AM

Were both programs on the same channel?!?! If so, then the problem is with
the production of the two programs (a videotape documentary will always look
"shaper" and more "live" than a filmed series like Star Trek.
You need to learn more about how programs are produced; how signals are
transmitted via satellite; how compression affects video signals; what kind
of compression your cable system or sat provider are using....a whole lot
more than you know right now before you (or anyone else) can answer the
question.

"Jéjé" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message
news:p 3BGd.2656$YI4.302241@wagner.videotron.net...
> thanks.
>
> What I found strange is the difference of the quality between programs.
> For example, I have just watch a Star treck episode, the quality is bad,
> just after there is a documentary and the quality is good.
> If I get a digital decoder I'll get the same quality every time?
January 17, 2005 1:42:58 AM

well...

The answer is: yes, on the same channel !

But does switching to a digital signal instead-of analog signal will
increase the quality?
I know the advertising around the numeric etc...
but does this improve standard program quality?

"curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
> Were both programs on the same channel?!?! If so, then the problem is
> with the production of the two programs (a videotape documentary will
> always look "shaper" and more "live" than a filmed series like Star Trek.
> You need to learn more about how programs are produced; how signals are
> transmitted via satellite; how compression affects video signals; what
> kind of compression your cable system or sat provider are using....a whole
> lot more than you know right now before you (or anyone else) can answer
> the question.
>

> "Jéjé" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message
> news:p 3BGd.2656$YI4.302241@wagner.videotron.net...
>> thanks.
>>
>> What I found strange is the difference of the quality between programs.
>> For example, I have just watch a Star treck episode, the quality is bad,
>> just after there is a documentary and the quality is good.
>> If I get a digital decoder I'll get the same quality every time?

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:58:43 PM

"Jéjé" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in
news:p 3BGd.2656$YI4.302241@wagner.videotron.net:

> thanks.
>
> What I found strange is the difference of the quality between
> programs. For example, I have just watch a Star treck episode, the
> quality is bad, just after there is a documentary and the quality is
> good. If I get a digital decoder I'll get the same quality every time?

No, the problem is that different programs (and commercials) have
travelled different paths to get to you. The quality is usually function
of how much bandwidth the provider is able to provide for the signal, but
sometimes it's just poor original material that shows you its flaws on
the better resolution of your HDTV. Cable companies and Satellite
providers are strapped for bandwidth right now, as they are pressured to
carry hundreds of channels, so they squeeze the stuff into smaller
bandwidth at the expense of resolution. Of course they can't do that too
much with HDTV signals because it would really, really show on those.
I'm fortunate. A lot of the standard channels I watch are being carried
by my provider in near-DVD quality, which makes it easy to watch them
(especially since my satellite receiver outputs them in progressive scan
480p).

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

January 17, 2005 11:00:40 PM

> well...
>
> The answer is: yes, on the same channel !
>
> But does switching to a digital signal instead-of analog signal will
> increase the quality?

It will if the digital signal has been produced with more quality. HDTV
digital signals have superb quality. Standard definition digital signals
vary all the way from outright lousy to near-DVD quality.

Like I said, MOST of what you're watching has been digitized at some point.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667