Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CD-RW only works once

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
May 28, 2005 1:18:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have a Sony re-writable CD. When I put in a blank CD, I can write all
kinds of data to it using the WinXP wizard. But if I take it out and put it
back, I cannot add any files. Is this normal? How do I get around this? The
salesman said the CD-RW unit worked like a big floppy. But I beg to differ.
Do I have to erase the whole thing and reload everything that was on it
originally (while adding the one small extra file?).

More about : works

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 5:10:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Yes, this is normal, unless you have software like InCD or Direct CD installed. XP does not natively support packet writing.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"SF" <nospam@@@nospam> wrote in message news:eHy4cD6YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have a Sony re-writable CD. When I put in a blank CD, I can write all
> kinds of data to it using the WinXP wizard. But if I take it out and put it
> back, I cannot add any files. Is this normal? How do I get around this? The
> salesman said the CD-RW unit worked like a big floppy. But I beg to differ.
> Do I have to erase the whole thing and reload everything that was on it
> originally (while adding the one small extra file?).
>
>
May 28, 2005 5:10:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Well, I'll be $%*#-ed.
Okay. Thanks.


"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:uN$Elg6YFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Yes, this is normal, unless you have software like InCD or Direct CD
installed. XP does not natively support packet writing.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"SF" <nospam@@@nospam> wrote in message
news:eHy4cD6YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have a Sony re-writable CD. When I put in a blank CD, I can write all
> kinds of data to it using the WinXP wizard. But if I take it out and put
> it
> back, I cannot add any files. Is this normal? How do I get around this?
> The
> salesman said the CD-RW unit worked like a big floppy. But I beg to
> differ.
> Do I have to erase the whole thing and reload everything that was on it
> originally (while adding the one small extra file?).
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 8:26:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"SF" <nospam@@@nospam> wrote in message
news:eHy4cD6YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> I have a Sony re-writable CD. When I put in a blank CD, I can write all
> kinds of data to it using the WinXP wizard. But if I take it out and put
it
> back, I cannot add any files. Is this normal? How do I get around this?
The
> salesman said the CD-RW unit worked like a big floppy.

Only if you format them correctly. Otherwise they can behave like CDR.

What burning programs do you have?
May 28, 2005 8:26:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have not used any special writing program.
I just open the E:\ (which is the CD-RW) folder window and then I just
drag the files to the E:\ folder window (in WinXP) and then, after the
files appear in the holding place at the top of the window, I click "Write
these files to CD".
When the wizard pops up it says "CD software developed under license from
Roxio" but this is all being handled under the WinXP software (I believe).
It works fine every time I put in a blank disk.
The help file does not give instructions for adding files to a disk with
data already on it.
The help file always says "Put a blank disk in the drive" before it
describes anything.


"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
news:jZ0me.103673$Ed4.6239302@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
>
> "SF" <nospam@@@nospam> wrote in message
> news:eHy4cD6YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> I have a Sony re-writable CD. When I put in a blank CD, I can write all
>> kinds of data to it using the WinXP wizard. But if I take it out and put
> it
>> back, I cannot add any files. Is this normal? How do I get around this?
> The
>> salesman said the CD-RW unit worked like a big floppy.
>
> Only if you format them correctly. Otherwise they can behave like CDR.
>
> What burning programs do you have?
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:55:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

XP's native CD Writing wizard is supposed to do multisession writing until
the disc is full. At that point no more data can be written to it. It treats
CD-R/W discs in the same way it treats CD-R discs.

Read the info about CD Writing in XP at the late Alex Nichol's page here
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm
I have more info here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/cdr_info.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"SF" <nospam@@@nospam> wrote in message
news:eHy4cD6YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have a Sony re-writable CD. When I put in a blank CD, I can write all
>kinds of data to it using the WinXP wizard. But if I take it out and put it
>back, I cannot add any files. Is this normal? How do I get around this? The
>salesman said the CD-RW unit worked like a big floppy. But I beg to differ.
> Do I have to erase the whole thing and reload everything that was on it
> originally (while adding the one small extra file?).
>
May 29, 2005 2:32:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

EXCELLENT!!
Wonderful sites. Thanks. Now I understand everything.



"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
news:o 6mzso$YFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> XP's native CD Writing wizard is supposed to do multisession writing until
> the disc is full. At that point no more data can be written to it. It
> treats CD-R/W discs in the same way it treats CD-R discs.
>
> Read the info about CD Writing in XP at the late Alex Nichol's page here
> http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm
> I have more info here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/cdr_info.htm
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>
>
> "SF" <nospam@@@nospam> wrote in message
> news:eHy4cD6YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>I have a Sony re-writable CD. When I put in a blank CD, I can write all
>>kinds of data to it using the WinXP wizard. But if I take it out and put
>>it back, I cannot add any files. Is this normal? How do I get around this?
>>The salesman said the CD-RW unit worked like a big floppy. But I beg to
>>differ.
>> Do I have to erase the whole thing and reload everything that was on it
>> originally (while adding the one small extra file?).
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:00:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

That's because most computers (95/98 etc) won't read a disk like that.
"SF" <nospam@@@nospam> wrote in message
news:o HuHnw6YFHA.1160@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Well, I'll be $%*#-ed.
> Okay. Thanks.
>
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:uN$Elg6YFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Yes, this is normal, unless you have software like InCD or Direct CD
> installed. XP does not natively support packet writing.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "SF" <nospam@@@nospam> wrote in message
> news:eHy4cD6YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >I have a Sony re-writable CD. When I put in a blank CD, I can write all
> > kinds of data to it using the WinXP wizard. But if I take it out and put
> > it
> > back, I cannot add any files. Is this normal? How do I get around this?
> > The
> > salesman said the CD-RW unit worked like a big floppy. But I beg to
> > differ.
> > Do I have to erase the whole thing and reload everything that was on it
> > originally (while adding the one small extra file?).
> >
> >
>
>
!