Vista Home Premium to require DX10 GFX 6/08

10 answers Last reply
More about vista home premium require dx10
  1. This story is a bunch of BS. :roll:
  2. Nothing would surprise me when it comes to MS, to be honest. But this would be weird as it would drastically reduce the number of PCs that could run their OS.
  3. If it's true, we are talking about Mid 2008 until the switch hits, and this is mainly targeting OEMs.
  4. Good post. Some thoughts:
    -its still at least a year away so no near term impact
    -although I hate the idea of MS regulating the tech environment for their own profit maximization, this will actually benefit us as more game developers will bring out DX10 games
    -this wont affect people with existing DX9 cards on Vista Premium. People with DX9 cards dont have to do anything here (I'm staying on XP and may even move to Ubuntu if I can work it out!)

Only result I can see from this is more DX10 games and higher prices at the retail level. My $0.02
  5. Quote:
    ...But this would be weird as it would drastically reduce the number of PCs that could run their OS.

Not exactly. The article refers to the logo they are permitted to have on them. To have a "Premium" logo, you must have a DX10 card in the box. You can have a "Capable" logo without it. It is an effort to herd the masses to more expensive machines. It's just marketing, which often carries the same scent as a pig barn.
  6. sorry to go off topic here, just a quick question involves vista, a friend of mine just bought a new laptop Compaq Presario (F545EA) it came with vista pre installed, he wants to change the OS to XP he's not a gamer and only wants to use it for browsing and listening to music, i checked compaq website looking for drivers you can select the specific os from a list, on the vista page it has a list of drivers http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=ie&dlc=en&product=3352153&lang=en
    I'm guessing these drivers wont work on xp :)

and on the xp page it has this list but it doesn't really look complete.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=ie&dlc=en&product=3352153&lang=en

i was thinking because it came with vista pre installed that there wont be xp drivers for the laptop and one have any ideas
  7. That is just part of marketing strategy. You don't need a graphics card at all to install Vista. LOL!
  8. i don't really see any bad thing in what MS is planing to do, mid 2008 directx 10 will be a standard, so it won't really make any difference between today and mid 2008. i mean if OEM are still selling directx9 in a year from now, something is terribly going wrong.
  9. Quote:
    ...But this would be weird as it would drastically reduce the number of PCs that could run their OS.

Not exactly. The article refers to the logo they are permitted to have on them. To have a "Premium" logo, you must have a DX10 card in the box. You can have a "Capable" logo without it. It is an effort to herd the masses to more expensive machines. It's just marketing, which often carries the same scent as a pig barn.

I agree with you and your assessment that this is a marketing/logo push to sell more Vista machines. Aside from Dell, BestBuy, and online retailers upselling Joe Average on their next desktop, this will probably not have any significant impact to enthusiasts until 2009.

What I hope this does do is encourage hackers to create a DX10 patch for XP and XP64.

Given all the recent news and hype about Vista, this is just another reason to hang onto XP a while longer...
  10. Quote:

I'm glad someone actually read the link before commenting. This thread had everyone going along with the topic title which is very misleading.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Windows Vista Graphics Product