Newbie PAK file question

When playing online, Quake 3 loads the same PAK file several times. Would I
be better off unzipping them into their component folders instead of letting
Quake 3 unpack them on the fly? If so, can I unzip these PAK files into the
baseq3 folder or must they be unzipped into their respective mod folders?
For example, if an OSP game requires a specific PAK file, can I just place
it in the baseq3 folder for universal access? Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about newbie file question

    On 4/22/2004 2:12 PM Tim brightened our day with:

    >When playing online, Quake 3 loads the same PAK file several times. Would I
    >be better off unzipping them into their component folders instead of letting
    >Quake 3 unpack them on the fly? If so, can I unzip these PAK files into the
    >baseq3 folder or must they be unzipped into their respective mod folders?
    >For example, if an OSP game requires a specific PAK file, can I just place
    >it in the baseq3 folder for universal access? Thanks in advance

    What pk3 files are you talking about? Unzipping them achieves nothing
    and can screw up a ton of stuff, don't do it (for one thing pure servers
    rely on a CRC check of your pk3 files to determine if you're pure or
    not); but you don't need multiple copies of the same, say, map or model
    files. You can put all of those type pk3 files into your baseq3
    folder. Putting game source stuff like the OSP *cgame* or *game pk3s
    into the baseq3 folder will screw up everything.
    But be careful putting some of the more heavily modded maps and stuff
    into the baseq3 folder can whack everything out too.
    Main thing I'm thinking of are those big osp map packs, I've got all
    those in my baseq3 folder.

    Man I really ought to uninstall Quake3.

    --
    "Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke

    Steve [Inglo]

    "Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message

    > What pk3 files are you talking about? Unzipping them achieves nothing
    > and can screw up a ton of stuff, don't do it (for one thing pure servers
    > rely on a CRC check of your pk3 files to determine if you're pure or
    > not); but you don't need multiple copies of the same, say, map or model
    > files. You can put all of those type pk3 files into your baseq3
    > folder. Putting game source stuff like the OSP *cgame* or *game pk3s
    > into the baseq3 folder will screw up everything.
    > But be careful putting some of the more heavily modded maps and stuff
    > into the baseq3 folder can whack everything out too.
    > Main thing I'm thinking of are those big osp map packs, I've got all
    > those in my baseq3 folder.

    Many thanks. Some maps, such as OSP mod / Pro-Q3DM6 for example, go through
    the pre-game loading cycle several times before launching the game - I'll
    see that screen that indicates that it's loading maps, weapons, etc, three
    or four times. Is this normal? It doesn't seem to happen with original maps
    using the unmodified game.

    On 4/26/2004 12:03 AM Tim brightened our day with:

    >Many thanks. Some maps, such as OSP mod / Pro-Q3DM6 for example, go through
    >the pre-game loading cycle several times before launching the game - I'll
    >see that screen that indicates that it's loading maps, weapons, etc, three
    >or four times. Is this normal? It doesn't seem to happen with original maps
    >using the unmodified game.

    I've never seen that happen before. I think you've got some other problem.

    --
    "Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke

    Steve [Inglo]

Games Components Video Games