Overhead component shelves for widescreen TVs?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 16, 2005 6:30:14 PM

Hopefully this post won't seem too off topic, but my on line searches
have turned up nothing suitable. I'm getting a Panasonic PT-47X54
widescreen HD RP TV. It comes with a shelf on top, but seems flimsy to
me and its width doesn't run the entire width of the set. The make
matters worse, the back end tapers off at an angle. Does anyone know of
a source for quality overhead shelves suitable for several components to
rest on top of the TV? Thanks.

mb
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:31:55 PM

Such as an entertainment cabinet or wall mounted cabinets??
"mb" <relax@home.com> wrote in message
> Hopefully this post won't seem too off topic, but my on line searches
> have turned up nothing suitable. I'm getting a Panasonic PT-47X54
> widescreen HD RP TV. It comes with a shelf on top, but seems flimsy to
> me and its width doesn't run the entire width of the set. The make
> matters worse, the back end tapers off at an angle. Does anyone know of
> a source for quality overhead shelves suitable for several components to
> rest on top of the TV? Thanks.
>
> mb
January 16, 2005 8:06:22 PM

I was hoping to find something that would actually sit on top of the TV,
similar to the shelf Panasonic already includes, but sturdier and
deeper.

In article <PuidneT-UejQQHfcRVn-2w@comcast.com>, plotsligt@comcast.net
says...
> Such as an entertainment cabinet or wall mounted cabinets??
> "mb" <relax@home.com> wrote in message
> > Hopefully this post won't seem too off topic, but my on line searches
> > have turned up nothing suitable. I'm getting a Panasonic PT-47X54
> > widescreen HD RP TV. It comes with a shelf on top, but seems flimsy to
> > me and its width doesn't run the entire width of the set. The make
> > matters worse, the back end tapers off at an angle. Does anyone know of
> > a source for quality overhead shelves suitable for several components to
> > rest on top of the TV? Thanks.
> >
> > mb

January 16, 2005 9:01:35 PM

> I was hoping to find something that would actually sit on top of the TV,
> similar to the shelf Panasonic already includes, but sturdier and
> deeper.

Bad idea.

The housing for the newer projection TV's isn't built like a German bunker
anymore. They use lighter materials, and these won't hold all that much.
If you do try piling on a bunch of stuff, you'll end up warping the cabinet,
which will warp the screen, and give you a very interesting picture. Of
course, that's best case. Worst case is you'll exceed the capacity of the
rollers, warping or damaging the bottom, where all the important stuff sits.

If a wall mounted cabinet doesn't work, and you simply don't have the space
for your gear, I suggest you get creative with the cables and place your
components next to the couch or somewhere where they'll be out of the way.

I had the same issue with my Panasonic. Some research later, I found you
can make surprisingly long runs for practically all your cables, including
video and line level feeds, using cheap RG6 and cheap connectors. The only
exception is the DVI/HDMI cable, which could get somewhat costly, but isn't
really as useful yet as component inputs.

Pagan

> In article <PuidneT-UejQQHfcRVn-2w@comcast.com>, plotsligt@comcast.net
> says...
> > Such as an entertainment cabinet or wall mounted cabinets??
> > "mb" <relax@home.com> wrote in message
> > > Hopefully this post won't seem too off topic, but my on line searches
> > > have turned up nothing suitable. I'm getting a Panasonic PT-47X54
> > > widescreen HD RP TV. It comes with a shelf on top, but seems flimsy
> > > me and its width doesn't run the entire width of the set. The make
> > > matters worse, the back end tapers off at an angle. Does anyone know
of
> > > a source for quality overhead shelves suitable for several components
> > > rest on top of the TV? Thanks.
> > >
> > > mb

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:13:21 AM

Leonard Caillouet recently had this to say in response to a similar
question:

>Sanus has one called the TVSB, typically ~$35.00.

Google it and several sources come up !

Randy

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:30:14 -0600, mb <relax@home.com> wrote:

>Hopefully this post won't seem too off topic, but my on line searches
>have turned up nothing suitable. I'm getting a Panasonic PT-47X54
>widescreen HD RP TV. It comes with a shelf on top, but seems flimsy to
>me and its width doesn't run the entire width of the set. The make
>matters worse, the back end tapers off at an angle. Does anyone know of
>a source for quality overhead shelves suitable for several components to
>rest on top of the TV? Thanks.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:20:04 PM

"Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Leonard Caillouet recently had this to say in response to a similar
> question:
>
>>Sanus has one called the TVSB, typically ~$35.00.
>
> Google it and several sources come up !
>
> Randy

Is this one that goes AROUND the TV (ie, not sitting on the top, but putting
the weight on the floor)?

I feel very uncomfortable with all the weight being borne on the TV frame
which is probably not meant to carry it.
January 17, 2005 5:14:24 PM

Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the possibility of the set
actually warping. What was your experience with your Panasonic? Do you
use the shelf at all? On the model I'm getting, the shelf is rated at
25 pounds max. My cable/DVR box and DVD player add up to just less than
that. I can lose the VCR, but I'd really like to have at least those
two units on top of the set. Would this be safe or is there just not
enough long term data to justify taking a chance? Thanks.

mb

In article <10um7403plv05a3@corp.supernews.com>, DirtySanchez@chonch.com
says...
> "mb" <relax@home.com> wrote in message
> > I was hoping to find something that would actually sit on top of the TV,
> > similar to the shelf Panasonic already includes, but sturdier and
> > deeper.
>
> Bad idea.
>
> The housing for the newer projection TV's isn't built like a German bunker
> anymore. They use lighter materials, and these won't hold all that much.
> If you do try piling on a bunch of stuff, you'll end up warping the cabinet,
> which will warp the screen, and give you a very interesting picture. Of
> course, that's best case. Worst case is you'll exceed the capacity of the
> rollers, warping or damaging the bottom, where all the important stuff sits.
>
> If a wall mounted cabinet doesn't work, and you simply don't have the space
> for your gear, I suggest you get creative with the cables and place your
> components next to the couch or somewhere where they'll be out of the way.
>
> I had the same issue with my Panasonic. Some research later, I found you
> can make surprisingly long runs for practically all your cables, including
> video and line level feeds, using cheap RG6 and cheap connectors. The only
> exception is the DVI/HDMI cable, which could get somewhat costly, but isn't
> really as useful yet as component inputs.
>
> Pagan
>
> > In article <PuidneT-UejQQHfcRVn-2w@comcast.com>, plotsligt@comcast.net
> > says...
> > > Such as an entertainment cabinet or wall mounted cabinets??
> > > "mb" <relax@home.com> wrote in message
> of

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:14:55 PM

> Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the possibility of the set
> actually warping. What was your experience with your Panasonic? Do you
> use the shelf at all? On the model I'm getting, the shelf is rated at
> 25 pounds max. My cable/DVR box and DVD player add up to just less than
> that. I can lose the VCR, but I'd really like to have at least those
> two units on top of the set. Would this be safe or is there just not
> enough long term data to justify taking a chance? Thanks.

I was disappointed when I saw that 25lb limit sticker on the shelf. I, too,
was hoping to plop some stuff on there. The way they had this stuff
displayed, you couldn't see the sticker. One of these days, when I'm in a
really bad mood, I'll go to Sears and bitch.

Anyway, I put my DVD on top, the center speaker on top of that, and the rest
in a cabinet. The only thing you really need to deal with hands on is the
DVD player and maybe the VCR. Since I don't play many tapes, the VCR was
banished to the cabinet as well. Unless you have some weird, heavy players,
the VCR should be fine on top of the set. As for the DVR, I have no idea
what it weighs, but I wouldn't put it up there, for reasons below.

My DVR 921 felt a little heavy to leave on the top shelf. I was afraid that
if I or my wife pulled the TV out for whatever reason, a cable would snag
and send the receiver crashing to the floor. I doubt it would survive.
There's also the fact that I wanted it in a cabinet so I could insulate it,
because it makes noise constantly. Since it uses a UHF remote, there was
really no reason to leave it on top of the set. Even if yours has an IR
remote, I suggest you too take it from the top of your set and place it
elsewhere. You can get an IR repeater, which I use in the bedroom with
great results.

What you don't want to do is max out the weight limit on that shelf. Now
I'm sure that some will say if it says 25lbs, they played it safe, and you
can probably stack 35, 50, or 100000lbs on there and be OK. They might be
right. Still, the 921 is fairly expensive, the snagged cord fear is well
founded (remember there are cables running three different ways, the TV, the
wall, and the stereo...step on the wrong one, and OOPS), and really, why
chance it? The less stuff you have on there, the less stuff there is to
fall off, get dusty, damage the set, or distract you with status lights and
whatnot.

Problem is, I hate the spot the cabinet is in, and it's too damn big anyway,
as it wasn't meant for stereo equipment. I don't have room for even the
smallest speakers, unless I want to mount them behind the TV. My project
for the next few weeks is to find/invent a better spot for everything, with
the cables hidden in walls, under the house, or behind a couch, and have it
be acceptable to my wife.

Soon I'll be upgrading the DVD player to one with optical outs, with the
added benefit that I can choose a silver one to match the TV.

Hope this helps.

Pagan
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:18:56 PM

Randy Sweeney reminded me of something I should have mentioned earlier. You
can buy a shelf unit that has one or more shelves going across the top of
the set, with the weight transferred to the floor by the cabinets on the
sides. However, they are fairly expensive, and you still have cabinets on
either side of the set, taking up yet more space.

You could always have something built, but that costs money.

Now, if anyone knows of a shelf unit that sits on the floor, goes over the
TV, and doesn't have cabinets on the sides, and doesn't cost a kidney, I'd
like to know too.

Pagan
!