Advice about watter cooling.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I have the rig in my sig and I want to replace my current after-market cooler(Asus Silent SQUARE) with a watter cooling.
I have no experience with watter coolers and I would ask those who have to recommend me one for $200.
I want my OC-ed stuff (CPU, chipset and graphics card) to be cool.
Sometimes in October I plan to upgrade my system with Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 and Yorkfield/Kenstfiled. Also I am going to buy a nVidia 8800 graphics card.
So, the watter cooling should be powerful enough to cool down these overclocked components.

Thanks for any advices and recommendations.

aLdaRiS

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
me i would say, for the 8800 get the HR-03 its an air coolin device (the best hands down) and for the cpu it depends... but please don't have the cpu and the video card in the same water loop, that aint gonna help much unless you have a reall good radiator, if i was you id only put one of them in the water loop since the gpu gets awfully hot

alarinn

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I use a Swiftech Storm CPU cooler along with the Swiftech MCW60 GPU cooler on a 7900GT card and the temps hand around 39C with an ambient temp of 27C. That using a 120mm radiator also by Swiftech. This loop is working well with my new 8800GTS (load temps around 45C). A dual radiator core would be the best but I'd lose the ability to keep it internal. With the case closed, you never tell it was watercooled:)

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
For $200 you are going to be stretched pretty darn thin.

MCP 655 pump

Swiftech Apogee

I choose the apogee to save you $25 over the Apogee GTX. There is only about a 1-2c differential at most.

Black Ice Extreme Rad

Simple Bay Resevoir

That will run you over $200 slightly but should be a good starting point and you can shop for the lowest price.

You won't be able to WC you vid card with a budget of $200, it just isn't going to happen. The water blocks themselves cost ~$100. :?

If you get really inspired: Chipset block

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I have to agree with everything SuperFly said, All you need to get started is a CPU block, pump, radiator, and resevoir and all his choices are top notch. The only thing I would change if your goal is to eventually cool your whole system with water is a 3x120 radiator rather than 1x120, when the day comes you will need all the dissapation from the larger rad. It might cost a bit over $200 but you'll have a great start to a complete water cooling system.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
True, the 3x120 may become necessary but that also sky rockets the cost but is definitely worth considering. 8)

Addendum:

The video card would be the last thing I would WC... you just aren't going to get that much more out of it. Nvidia and AMD clock those things darn near their thermal limits and with a 8 series GPU on the same loop as your CPU you are going to add a significant amount of heat to the overall cooling system and hinder your CPU overclocks most likely.

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
The H20-220 Apex Ultra looks like shipping with all the needed components for a WC noob. It comes with a pump without speed regulation (MCP655-B pump instead of MCP655) and a 2x120 radiator MCR220-QP instead of a 3 radiator MCR320-QP.

The tubes/connections/options are numerous in the kit. I fear if I buy peaces separetly that I forget something, miss user guides...

Is there a way to get the Ultra kit with a 3 radiator?
Is it important to get a pump with speed regulation? Is that pump a good one?
Is that kit a good thing for my CPU kicking out about 150W for my overclock?
Many many thanks for your help

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
True, the 3x120 may become necessary but that also sky rockets the cost but is definitely worth considering. 8)

Addendum:

The video card would be the last thing I would WC... you just aren't going to get that much more out of it. Nvidia and AMD clock those things darn near their thermal limits and with a 8 series GPU on the same loop as your CPU you are going to add a significant amount of heat to the overall cooling system and hinder your CPU overclocks most likely.
For what you are looking to cool, 3x120 is the only thing that'd I'd go with.

And, for what you want, and considering the money that you have already put into your rig, you won't be able to skimp at 200. Shoot for $300, or you'll be kicking yourself in the a$$.

alarinn

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

Addendum:

The video card is the first thing I'd water cool and it isn't to OC it. My 8800 GTS averages mid 40s under 4 hours of load. That's 30C less than the stock cooler which is 30C less heat added to the case temps. I got 3g on my 6420 with air cooling and 3.6 with the Apogee GTX. The biggest difference I found was keeping the video card cool helped to keep everything else from over heating. If you are into OCing, then yes, water cooling the video card doesn't yield much more than what you get out of the box.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
For what you are looking to cool, 3x120 is the only thing that'd I'd go with.

Depends where you start. If you are only cooling the CPU then 1x120 is fine, but if you add a full 8 series block + a NB + OC's then yes I would either get a 2x120 with extreme fans or a 3x120. It really depends on what assumptions you make about what he is cooling. I was working within the $200 budget (or attempting to) but you could easily be correct with multiple components.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

Addendum:

The video card is the first thing I'd water cool and it isn't to OC it. My 8800 GTS averages mid 40s under 4 hours of load. That's 30C less than the stock cooler which is 30C less heat added to the case temps. I got 3g on my 6420 with air cooling and 3.6 with the Apogee GTX. The biggest difference I found was keeping the video card cool helped to keep everything else from over heating. If you are into OCing, then yes, water cooling the video card doesn't yield much more than what you get out of the box.

First, there is no way 30c is spilling into your case. The exhaust is directed out the rear of the case minimizing the heat dissipation into the case to the extent possible. Having said that, there is a fair amount of heat dumped into the case from the top side of the PCB board, but it is no where near 30c.

Second, 3.6 isn't bad but can be routinely done on air.

Third, what was overheating when you 8 series was air cooled? sounds more like poor overall air flow to me.

alarinn

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

Addendum:

First, there is no way 30c is spilling into your case. The exhaust is directed out the rear of the case minimizing the heat dissipation into the case to the extent possible. Having said that, there is a fair amount of heat dumped into the case from the top side of the PCB board, but it is no where near 30c.

Second, 3.6 isn't bad but can be routinely done on air.

Third, what was overheating when you 8 series was air cooled? sounds more like poor overall air flow to me.

True, a good portion of the heat does go out the back of the case but my infrared thermometer still picks up close to 60C coming from the top of the card (think I hit 56C tonight). Given that I had a 7900GT highly OCed and running at 45C under almost 4 hours of load (LOTRO and Oblivion), I should be able to take my 8800GTS down to mid to upper 50s with a 1x120 rad. Now it won't hurt at all going with a 2x120, but 3x120 would be best served in a 8800GTX SLI. Where in the world could I hide a 3x120?:) God, with my push-pull setup, it'd sound like a jet taking off if I did that with a 3x120. Imagine 6 120 fans.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Mine already sounds like a jet engine... at least with 6 of them it would sound like a fleet of F-16's... that is one way to keep burgler's out of my apartment.

I could hide a 3x120, but I would have to bust out my handy dandy powertools. In a P182 it is possible, though not easy. I would say it sounds like a challenge, but I don't have the time nor the money nor the desire to do it. :wink:

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Guys, might as well stop discusing the topic as gOJDO got banned.

Can't go into details for my own sake.

Eh, you are right, but that doesn't mean he can't view the thread. You don't have to log in to read.
Eh, actuallly you are wrong. I am currently in contact with a *certain other big-time poster* who was banned (for the same reason), and they have banned his IP from even accesing the site.

PS, I will NOT get into details for my own sake. Do not ask.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

Eh, you are right, but that doesn't mean he can't view the thread. You don't have to log in to read.
Eh, actuallly you are wrong. I am currently in contact with a *certain other big-time poster* who was banned (for the same reason), and they have banned his IP from even accesing the site.

Details are to be discussed outside of THG only :wink:

However, my question is what good is an IP ban when residential IP's are dynamic not static? Unless the mods pan a set of IP's I am pretty sure you should be able to view the site at least.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005

someone was BANNED for discussing gpu watercooling?

o_O

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005

Details are to be discussed outside of THG only :wink:

However, my question is what good is an IP ban when residential IP's are dynamic not static? Unless the mods pan a set of IP's I am pretty sure you should be able to view the site at least.

the only bannable offense i see is misspelling WATER so many damn times.

Valis

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Chill, this is a worldwide forums and for many English isn't their native language. There some things worth complaining about, the spelling of water isn't.

Don't even get involved in talking about these bans. There is alot of history behind it that you aren't privyed to.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
Chill, this is a worldwide forums and for many English isn't their native language. There some things worth complaining about, the spelling of water isn't.

Don't even get involved in talking about these bans. There is alot of history behind it that you aren't privyed to.

hard to know what to talk about if there's some MYSTERY TOPIC or sentance out there that could get me banned.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005

ah, found some stuff, read some blog stuff, sounds like a bunch of 12 year old whining to me.

meh, grow up people.

alarinn

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I've looked at all of the P35s coming out and I see an issue with water cooling. The heat pipe stands so tall, I don't think you can use the rear fan as a spot for the rad. It's not an issue with me since I have a GlobalWin case that allows me to mount the rad on the front, but most cases have the HD cage in that spot forcing you to put the rad on the rear grill. In the case of the P35s, you won't be able to do that unless you remove the heat pipe or start modding your case. What do you all think?