new MOBO does not recognize drives

zoah

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Hey everyone, last sunday my PSU blew up. It was a 2 year old system, and I was aware that my PSU was garbage I just never really got a new one. Well I learned my lesson. I got a new Enermax FMA2 553W and installed to my old pc. It booted and evething appeared to be fine. I got into windows and everything. All of a sudden the PC shuts off and I can't turn it back on. My guess was that the old PSU fried something on my MOBO so I went ahead and basically got all new parts. Well here comes my problem:

I got a ASUS P5K motherboard, with a Core 2 Duo E6420 CPU, 2Gb memory and a new SATA HDD. I assembled everthing and it appears to have worked fine. I must add that this was my first time putting the MOBO and the PSU together, I've done everything else on my old computers. Anyway, I turn on the PC, get into BIOS and it does recognize my SATA HDD and my floppy drive, but not my IDE CD Drive. Now when I try to boot the computer, I can only do it using a boot disk, but I can't format my HDD or anything because I can't access C: . I don't understand, I see the hard drive on BIOS but i can't find it when i boot the computer. I also can't find my CD drive, which I need to install windows. The power is working just fine, but I can't even find it on the BIOS and my boot disk doesnt find it either.

What could be my problem? and how can I fix this?

zoah

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
This is a brand new SATA HDD, the problem is I can't even get the MOBO to recognize my CD rom. The BIOS shows the SATA HDD to be there, but when I boot the computer with a boot disk I can't access C: like i've always been able to. So you see my problem, I can't even format my new Hard Drive.