Setting up XP with Vista for Dual boot

jimmyboy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I have a HP G60-230US notebook with Vista Home Prem. 32 bit. I have already worn out HP support and finally realized they won't address my problem. I thought I had some knowledge of computers but am about to change my mind. I resized my 320G harddrive Vista partition and made a new 40G NTFS partition to install XP Pro 32 for a dual boot. I understand there will be challanges getting drivers for the hardware on this Vista machine. My problem that HP won't address is the fact that after getting the HD ready for XP it won't install. My install disk is an original MS disk and all goes well until the installation has loaded all drivers and initial files. When it reaches the point where XP says "starting Windows" instead of opening the XP installation screen it goes to a Blue Screen saying the process has been shut down to prevent damage to the computer. In researching on HP's support site it warns that there may be problems with some hardware not working properly due to insuffecient drivers and to research that first but nothing about XP not installing period. I didn't ask for help in setting up a dual boot just to tell me if there was something in the bios or something else that would not allow an XP installation but they would not answer the question.

All help is appreciated.

jimmyboy :whistle:

jimmyboy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

I believe that was the error message No. This is not a slipstreamed disk, it is the original disk from Microsoft.