question about q3a engine based games on linux

I loved playing Q3A native on my RH9 box. No wine/winex. Ran sweet.
Just bought Jedi Academy and have been playing on Win2k fine, but want
to get it running on linux. I have successfully installed the linux
dedicated server patch for linux.
I was sure there would be a linux binary somewhere for the client to
play the game.
Has anyone here heard of one?
--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : troy@piggo.com

Troy Piggins wrote:
> I loved playing Q3A native on my RH9 box. No wine/winex. Ran sweet.
> Just bought Jedi Academy and have been playing on Win2k fine, but want
> to get it running on linux. I have successfully installed the linux
> dedicated server patch for linux.
> I was sure there would be a linux binary somewhere for the client to
> play the game.
> Has anyone here heard of one?

unless they've changed their price, you can get a one month subscription to
www.transgaming.com for $5 USD, which will allow you to download WineX and
run just about any Win32 game in linux.

LoTekGuru wrote:

> unless they've changed their price, you can get a one month subscription to
> www.transgaming.com for $5 USD, which will allow you to download WineX and
> run just about any Win32 game in linux.

yeah, i have winex. use it to run cstrike 1.5, warcraft 3 and some
other games, but quake3 runs native in linux. so do other games like
unreal tournament, americas army, rtcw:enemy territory. performance is
way better (i reckon better than in windows).
i am assuming that since jedi academy is based on the q3a engine, it
follows that with a simple patch it can run native on linux.

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : troy@piggo.com

On 5/1/2004 1:02 AM Troy Piggins brightened our day with:

> LoTekGuru wrote:
>

>> unless they've changed their price, you can get a one month
>> subscription to
>> www.transgaming.com for $5 USD, which will allow you to download
>> WineX and
>> run just about any Win32 game in linux.
>

> yeah, i have winex. use it to run cstrike 1.5, warcraft 3 and some
> other games, but quake3 runs native in linux. so do other games like
> unreal tournament, americas army, rtcw:enemy territory. performance
> is way better (i reckon better than in windows).
> i am assuming that since jedi academy is based on the q3a engine, it
> follows that with a simple patch it can run native on linux.

Can you play games online using WineX? Does it emulate, what,
directPlay as well as the other API's?

--
"Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke

Steve [Inglo]

On Sat, 01 May 2004 08:02:27 GMT, Troy Piggins <troy@piggo.com> :

>LoTekGuru wrote:
>

>> unless they've changed their price, you can get a one month subscription to
>> www.transgaming.com for $5 USD, which will allow you to download WineX and
>> run just about any Win32 game in linux.
>
>yeah, i have winex. use it to run cstrike 1.5, warcraft 3 and some
>other games, but quake3 runs native in linux. so do other games like
>unreal tournament, americas army, rtcw:enemy territory. performance is
>way better (i reckon better than in windows).
>i am assuming that since jedi academy is based on the q3a engine, it
>follows that with a simple patch it can run native on linux.

There are several Q3 engine based games that do not have linux
binaries, Medal of Honor, Soldier of Fortune 2, Jedi Knight II, and
Jedi Academy to name a few. Not sure why the publishers did not port
to Linux, but that is their call.

I know Ryan Gordon did the JKA dedicated server for Linux, but
apparently was not contracted to do a client. He is porting MOHAA at
the moment, maybe some day he will do the Jedi Knight series.

Inglo wrote:

<snip>
> Can you play games online using WineX? Does it emulate, what,
> directPlay as well as the other API's?

You sure can. Counter-Strike 1.5 played fine, although the I had some
trouble getting the microphone to work (I could hear players talking),
but all other sound and graphics worked fine. I even got better fps.
There are websites around on how to get Steam and cstrike 1.6 working,
but I also had trouble with iexplorer and some of the windows fonts you
need to install.
Medal of Honour I believe works, although I don't have.
Warcraft3 worked fine for me. That is about all I have used with Winex
- maybe I tried Battlefield 1942, but can't remember.
I know opengl works (I have nvidia geforce 128mb card with nvidia's
linux drivers), and think DirectX works too. Don't know this DirectPlay.
www.transgaming.com (the ones who do winex) has a list of compatible games.
Happy linux gaming :)

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : troy@piggo.com

Chicken wrote:

<snip>

> There are several Q3 engine based games that do not have linux
> binaries, Medal of Honor, Soldier of Fortune 2, Jedi Knight II, and
> Jedi Academy to name a few. Not sure why the publishers did not port
> to Linux, but that is their call.
>
> I know Ryan Gordon did the JKA dedicated server for Linux, but
> apparently was not contracted to do a client. He is porting MOHAA at
> the moment, maybe some day he will do the Jedi Knight series.

Who is this Ryan Gordon, I want to put him on my Christmas card list ...
(I send beer instead of cards). I will drop a carton off to his house
if he lives in Brisbane, Australia if he does JKA soon - while I am
still interested. If he lives elsewhere, it may be a long drive for me :)
--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : troy@piggo.com

"Troy Piggins" <troy@piggo.com> wrote in message
> LoTekGuru wrote:
>

> > unless they've changed their price, you can get a one month subscription
> > www.transgaming.com for $5 USD, which will allow you to download WineX
and
> > run just about any Win32 game in linux.
>
> yeah, i have winex. use it to run cstrike 1.5, warcraft 3 and some
> other games, but quake3 runs native in linux. so do other games like
> unreal tournament, americas army, rtcw:enemy territory. performance is
> way better (i reckon better than in windows).
> i am assuming that since jedi academy is based on the q3a engine, it
> follows that with a simple patch it can run native on linux.

I don't know an answer to your question, but I wouldn't automatically assume
that there is a patch or binary available for it to run on Linux.

Nearly all games "based on" the Quake 3 (or any other) engine are modified
to a greater or lesser extent by their developers. The Q3 engine is just a
base for them to work from so they don't have to start coding from scratch.
I don't know how modified Jedi Academy is from "vanilla" Quake 3. In other
words, commercially released games based on an engine aren't at all the same
as total conversions (which contain only new data files).

It's really up to them (LucasArts) whether they want to release Mac, Linux,
etc. binaries. Obviously, this should be considerably easier with a
minimally or even moderately modified version of an engine that already has
good Mac/Linux binaries (as has been the case over the years with the
Unreal/UT and Quake 3 engines), but it still doesn't mean that they will
actually do it.

I'd contact LucasArts to find out if they have any Linux binaries available,
or any possible plans to release any (and to express interest in such
binaries).

> Chicken wrote:
>
> > I know Ryan Gordon did the JKA dedicated server for Linux, but
> > apparently was not contracted to do a client. He is porting MOHAA at
> > the moment, maybe some day he will do the Jedi Knight series.
>
> Who is this Ryan Gordon, I want to put him on my Christmas card list ...
> (I send beer instead of cards). I will drop a carton off to his house
> if he lives in Brisbane, Australia if he does JKA soon - while I am
> still interested. If he lives elsewhere, it may be a long drive for me
:)

http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=288
http://icculus.org/

Matthew Vaughan wrote:

<snip>

> I don't know an answer to your question, but I wouldn't automatically assume
> that there is a patch or binary available for it to run on Linux.
>
> Nearly all games "based on" the Quake 3 (or any other) engine are modified
> to a greater or lesser extent by their developers. The Q3 engine is just a
> base for them to work from so they don't have to start coding from scratch.
> I don't know how modified Jedi Academy is from "vanilla" Quake 3. In other
> words, commercially released games based on an engine aren't at all the same
> as total conversions (which contain only new data files).
>
> It's really up to them (LucasArts) whether they want to release Mac, Linux,
> etc. binaries. Obviously, this should be considerably easier with a
> minimally or even moderately modified version of an engine that already has
> good Mac/Linux binaries (as has been the case over the years with the
> Unreal/UT and Quake 3 engines), but it still doesn't mean that they will
> actually do it.
>
> I'd contact LucasArts to find out if they have any Linux binaries available,
> or any possible plans to release any (and to express interest in such
> binaries).

Thanks, mate. I figured as much. Someone on JK3 forum suggested I try
MacOS binaries since close to unix. Didn't think that would work.
I will, however, express my interest to LucasArts.
I don't understand why these developers *do* realise the potential
market for using linux dedicated servers, but don't for the end-user -
the players. Personally I think that gaming is a massive market, and
when these types of games are available to play in a native linux
environment, linux will become exponentially more popular.
Kudos to those who ported Q3A to linux - showed me that it can be done
for popular multi-platform games.

PS - I just realised how off-topic I am getting. Better go.

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : troy@piggo.com