HSF weight issue

KY

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
i'm going to get an e6320 and a Gigabyte 965P-DS3. thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is an option for me. but the weight at 790g without fan is an issue worrying me. Is it safe to use the ultra 120 ex on the ds3 and processor for a long run? is the mounting of the thermalright ultra-120 ex on LGA 775 good?

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I have an Ultra-120 on a P5W-DH and it appears to me that the HSF is tilted slightly off level due to it's own weight. I am not sure if this is happening as a flex in the motherboard, gap in the HSF to chip (unlikely), or it may just be an optical illusion from the geometry of the case and the side window. My guess is that there is a slight flex happening in the mobo from the weight since my temperatures do not indicate a poor mating of the HSF and Chip.

It is a great cooler, but you need a big case and it is heavy. Most top end air cooling solutions have similar weights.

random_misc

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I pretty much just assembled your system last night. I have an e6320, DS3 and a U-120 extreme w/ fan. I didn't notice any flexing or sagging in the MB due to the weight (and to me, it was surprisingly heavy).

The variable may be in the case you choose and where the standoffs are in the MB tray. The cpu is pretty much right in between the two points where the DS3 gets secured to the mobo tray. When it's fastened to the tray at those points, it's more rigid from the support of the screws holding the mobo down (i hope that makes sense). Thus, to my untrained eye, flexing or sagging due to HSF weight was very small, if there was any at all. I'm using an Antec Solo case, and the U-120 ex actually grazes the structural support bar near the psu. Laying down or standing up (the case, not me), the U-120 ex actually maintains slight contact with the bar, so it doesn't look to me like it's sagging or flexing.

Whether it's safe for a "long run," I can't say since I don't have it running yet. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Others may have different takes, but there's my lay 2 cents worth.