Sign in with
Your question

Thermaltake Armor Full or Antec 900 Help!

Last response: in Components
May 30, 2007 8:20:03 PM

I've been reading tons and tons of reviews and stuff for these two cases and I can not decide which is better. I need some input from the trusted THware forumers. I'm looking for maximum coolage between the two. Any advice or experience with either?

Thermaltake Armor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec 900
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PS. I plan on using the Tuniq 120 Cooler
May 30, 2007 8:41:09 PM

I love my P180. You may want to look at that one. Havent owned one of these.
May 30, 2007 8:57:20 PM

Check out the P190 :wink: Pricey, but nice

If not, get the P182 instead of the P180. Will definitely help out with the cable management :wink:
Related resources
May 30, 2007 9:07:33 PM

The P182 is pricey too. Looks good.
May 30, 2007 9:09:18 PM

As usual the masses have given options that weren't options.

Antec 900 has lots more fans and therefore is noisier. other than that it is all aboout the look and what you like. You could add fans to the Armor but not without modding the case.

Get what looks good, either will cool well enough.
May 30, 2007 9:17:17 PM

Armor is you want the best of the two.
May 30, 2007 9:34:16 PM

The Antec 900 has huge fans which tend to be quiter.

Personally I like the 900 but Im not sure about having the PSU at the bottom of the case.
May 30, 2007 10:29:13 PM

I had the same dilema not too long ago...

me it was armor+25cm side fan or the nine hundred.

Finally I got the Nine hundred, I saved about 50$ since the Antec was on special and was in stock at the local store, the armor have some kind of flip panel in the front that I dind't like.

And for the noise, my Nine hundred is quiet, you can ajust the speed of the fan. At low settings I can sleep next to my case, at high settings it's not that loud, I have an XP 1800+ with 3 X 80mm fans and it's louder.

The only thing I don't like about the Nine hundred, you need tools, the armor you don't.

You can always add 2 more 120mm fans in the nine hundred, 1 on the side panel and 1 behind the HDD cage.

If I had to choose again I'm not sure I'll take the nine hundred again because the Armor is suppose to be tooless for the HDD and optic drives. But price was a factor and the Nine hundred was in stock at the local computer store. Usually I order my parts online, exept for the nine hundred and my Corsair PSU (saved near 100$ for both includung the shipping from the online store). Like I said the final decision was the price and it was in stock and I needed it now.

hope this help
May 30, 2007 11:05:41 PM

Quote:

If I had to choose again I'm not sure I'll take the nine hundred again because the Armor is suppose to be tooless for the HDD and optic drives.

Yah, but how often are you messing with that stuff, and how hard is it to go get a screwdriver out of your toolbox? Just my $.02

For me, I change drives often... and it's annoying to remove both side panels and the front to change my optical drive or hdd.
May 30, 2007 11:22:13 PM

if had to be either go with the armour i have heard of people complaining about cable routing issues with the900
May 31, 2007 1:44:04 AM

Another minor issue of the Antec 900... DUST MAGNET!!!

Thermaltake Armor does have some nice issues. Not sure about the front "doors" though. They look like they would be somewhat annoying.

What about the P182 or the P190? :wink:
May 31, 2007 2:25:41 AM

The only thing I can really say is that the Armor has it more exhaust fans. Since it's PSU is at the top there won't be any cable reach issues and the PSU can act as a better exhaust than it would being at the bottom. However since the 900 has a huge top exhaust fan it kind of negates the PSU at the top. The doors might be annoying you can take them off. You can also get a 25cm fan side panel for the armor.

The 900 is a pretty sweet case and I like the look better, but I think the Armor is the overall better case. More room, more options and a "similar" price.
May 31, 2007 2:54:45 AM

Hi, to be another who suggests something not on your list...have a look at the gigabyte 3d aurora 570. I just got mine a few weeks ago, I was orignally planning on the antec 900 or p180b, however I ended up going with this as it was the only one in stock at the time, and I'm very glad I did.
May 31, 2007 2:55:47 AM

Thats a good one too because it also has 2x120 fans in the back plus water ports./
May 31, 2007 3:33:59 AM

Quote:
You could add fans to the Armor but not without modding the case.

That's incorrect. Buy a Thermaltake I-Cage or two and you can use them to add an additional 12cm fan or two. If you buy an Armor without the 25cm door fan, you can pick one up for something like $35. No modding is required for either of these changes, they are made-to-fit TT options. On my Armor, I added two icages and the door fan, then swapped out all of the TT fans for quiet fans except for the door fan, which was already quiet. Even with 8 hard drives and all of those fans, it's a pretty quiet box - until the GPU fan kicks into high gear that is.
May 31, 2007 3:40:01 AM

Quote:
The only thing I can really say is that the Armor has it more exhaust fans. Since it's PSU is at the top there won't be any cable reach issues and the PSU can act as a better exhaust than it would being at the bottom. However since the 900 has a huge top exhaust fan it kind of negates the PSU at the top. The doors might be annoying you can take them off. You can also get a 25cm fan side panel for the armor.

The 900 is a pretty sweet case and I like the look better, but I think the Armor is the overall better case. More room, more options and a "similar" price.

The 250mm exhaust fan is much more beneficial than any psu exhaust fan mounted at the top. The psu on the bottom causes absolutely no problems and solves others since gravity does half the wiring for you. You would run into the same wiring routing problems as any other case with psu mounted on top or bottom.

Unless interior size is a key factor it would be unwise to pay that extra money for a bigger case that just takes up that much more space. Both cases are very good and will offer good enough airflow its more a subjective choice than objective.
May 31, 2007 3:35:49 PM

Quote:
The 250mm exhaust fan is much more beneficial than any psu exhaust fan mounted at the top. The psu on the bottom causes absolutely no problems and solves others since gravity does half the wiring for you. You would run into the same wiring routing problems as any other case with psu mounted on top or bottom.

Unless interior size is a key factor it would be unwise to pay that extra money for a bigger case that just takes up that much more space. Both cases are very good and will offer good enough airflow its more a subjective choice than objective.

The big fan at the top of the 900 is actually a 200mm fan not a 250mm. I also never said the 120 fan of the PSU was more efficient than the 200mm at the top, just that the position of the PSU in the Armor is better positioned for exhausting heat than the position in the 900 and the top position is more standard so it will have a higher combination of compatibility between motherboard and PSU's do to cable length. I would agree though that routing cables from the bottom would be much easier at times. Also larger cases are known to stay cooler than smaller cases. I'm not saying the 900 is small, but the Armor is a monster.
May 31, 2007 4:53:02 PM

If you don't like the door on the armor, go with the 900. If you don't care, go with the Armor.

Both should have good airflow regardless of size.

/end Thread :tongue:
May 31, 2007 5:47:13 PM

I built 2 rigs this year using the 900, one for me and one for my fiance, and we both love them. We love the way they look, we love the great airflow, and we love the fact that they filter the air in our apartment for dust, er..... we do love them tho! I just need to vacuum the house more often and stop leaving every window in the house open 24/7 go go Ca weather!

As far as the 900 being loud..... I use a 900 + Tuniq 120, she has a 900 + Zalman 9700 (iirc). As I stand between the two rigs, with them each 2ft away. My rig is on my left, and hers on my right, all fans on high. What I hear, clearly and without fail, is the Tuniq Tower. Turn the TT120 down to low, and then I hear *my* top mounted 200MM fan as it pulls air over the...Tuniw Tower. Hers is signifigantly quiter than mine, I almost regret it, altho mine overclocks a bit better than hers Temp wise.

All in all, Id gladly buy another 900. Cable routing can be a pain if you let it stress you out. I *know* mine could be better, but my CPU is sitting @29C right now and the machine has been on for hours in a room thats at 24C and the case temp is 26C so I am ok with it. (not overclocked atm as I just put in HD 2 and 3).

Now I am running an 8800GTX so I did swap the cages around on the front side. I dont have the 3 Bays at the Top, with 2 120mm Fans at bottom. I have 120mm Fan at top, then the 3 bays, and the other 120mm fan at the bottom w/ my 3 HDs there.

Point is I enjoy it, though I have never owned an armor, it just looked too big for me and my little apartment.
May 31, 2007 5:54:33 PM

The only thing I hear in my P180B case is the stupid OCZ GameXStream 700 WATT power supply fan.

*sighs*

I was hoping after replacing the fan in the power supply with a Yate Loon, that it would be quieter (also voiding that fantastic 3 year warranty, but oh well, I have never had a power supply die on me in 3 years *knocks on wood*).

When I was using a temporary Antec Truepower II 480 WATT power supply, everything was extremely quiet!!!

Unfortunately, the Antec power supply wasn't powerful enough and caused my computer to reboot whenever I tried to play Far Cry.
May 31, 2007 7:18:31 PM

I think in the end I'd recommend both of these cases, and just to pick whatever one looks better to you. I didn't mean to sound harsh about the 900 earlier, because the Armor has it's downfalls too. If you can find either one on sale or like the looks of one over the other I don't think you can really make a wrong choice with either of these cases.
May 31, 2007 10:24:17 PM

Ah! Its such a tough decision, at least I have till July 22nd to decide. I am leaning towards the Armor slightly. I liked the new one they came out with that has the 25cm fan on the side window but I heard it doesnt move alot of air. Wondering from any of the people who have an Armor if they replaced any of the fans for stronger ones?
May 31, 2007 11:44:21 PM

The 25cm fan on the side of the armor does move quite a bit of air but people don't think so because they can't feel it. The reason they can't feel it is because it's being moved over such a large ariea. For example take the CFM of a ceiling fan and squeeze all that air down into the same space as an 80mm fan. It'll feel like that 80mm fan is gonna blow you away(not really) but yeah the reason it seems as though the 25cm fan doesn't move that much air is cuz of it's surface area.
June 1, 2007 1:16:11 PM

Heh, you can trust T8RR8R on that. My Antec P180B. I turned all the fans off to see if I could hear a difference... didn't hear a difference, but I sure as balls saw a difference in temps of my CPU and mobo go up around 3C-5C! With the fans on, I don't feel hardly any air, but my temps drop back down and the fans are extremely quiet!

That and it's kind of common sense (at least I thought). The bigger the fan, the slower it can run while still pushing a lot of air. :wink:
June 1, 2007 1:44:52 PM

Isn't the armor better cause its a Full Tower and the other is a Mid?
June 1, 2007 2:23:56 PM

From what I learn, don't pay too much attention to the size labeling of the case. The P180B case was classified as a "mid tower".

MID TOWER MY BUTT!!! The case is almost full size!!!

Btw, the only difference between Mid and Full is the amount of room inside and sometimes, full has more HDD cages than Mid. But the design of the Antec 900 gives it just as good airflow as a full tower, such as the armor.

I say go with the Armor because you have more upgradeability and having the power supply on the bottom of the case makes it kind of hard to run the wires to the motherboard (that and it'll look sort of messy).

If I had to do it all over again, I'd choose between the Armor or Sonota III.

The only thing that I kind of see as a con on the Armor is that the USB, Firewire, and Audio ports are located on the top which could be a disadvantage to some people who either sit their case on the desk, or have it on the floor next to the desk. That, and it stops you you from using the top of the case as a nice Jewel Case/CD/accessories table :tongue:

C'mon, who doesn't sit stuff on top of their cases???

You know it's really a durable case when your friends come over and decide to use your case as a chair 8O
!