Windows xp freezes during format

G

when i try and install xp it freezes during formatting of my disk.....pleeeeease help

Is it a new build or a system that was working properly before? You can try another CD just to make sure that it isn't caused by a read error. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to determine what component is causing the freeze (PSU, motherboard, memory, etc.)

kramersj

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hello GhislainG;

I'm facing the same problem on my system that was working properly before.
I tried with 3 differents XP installation CDs but always at the same step (*) the screen became black and the cursor started to blink at right top side.
*) The step where the problem occurs is the step 5:
1) I put the CD in the drive and I boot the system from it.
2) On blue screen I don't press neither F6 that let install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver nor F2 to run ASR (Automatic System Restore)...
3) Setup starts to copy files...
4) When setup asks whether I've a CD or floppy diskette to install an additionnal SCSI adapter to setup a mass storage adapter I continue by presseing "Enter" (Namely, I say "No, I haven't.")
5) Just while the "Windows NT NTFS..." files are being copied the blue screen disappears and at right top corner of a black screen the cursor starts to blink.

My BIOS is American Trends Inc.

Thanks to help me to resolve this problem.

Best regards,

Ozgur

TechSavvy

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Sometimes this could be due to a bad installation media (ie the CD is scratched), or if the CDROM drive have problems reading the CD.

I also found that a lot of the times, the setup hangs up or have problems loading files is due to RAM issue. If you have multiple sticks of RAM, I would just try the minimum amount (one stick at a time) to see if you get the same results.