Sign in with
Your question

Lowering CD burn speed

Last response: in Storage
May 30, 2007 8:29:54 PM

I need to burn decent quality audio CD's to mix using DJ decks and I have been told to burn no higher than x4 if possible x1 but my DVD RW (NEC 3500) only states it burns at x8 upwards. Is there any way you can unlock slower burn modes. The problem with the disks I have burnt at x8 is they jump every now and then which is a nightmare for a DJ. Alternatively is there another burner that you know supports x1 burning?

More about : lowering burn speed

May 30, 2007 10:47:56 PM

what software are you using to burn? i think that is what is limiting your burn speed, not the drive itself. ive never seen a drive list a MIN write speed. they always list a MAX.

if you are positive its not the software, i would start with Liggy and Dee's firmware site to see if they have something that could unlock your drive - http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-3500A/
May 31, 2007 2:24:13 PM

I've just downloaded iTunes and that doesn allow me to change the burn speed to x1. I think it is better although it is still jumping. Before I had Nero, windows media, Ashampoo (what a stupid name). I've upgraded the firmware but still no joy.
Related resources
May 31, 2007 4:13:01 PM

Quote:
I've just downloaded iTunes and that doesn allow me to change the burn speed to x1. I think it is better although it is still jumping. Before I had Nero, windows media, Ashampoo (what a stupid name). I've upgraded the firmware but still no joy.

Sorry thats suppose to say "iTunes and that does allow me to change the burn speed to x1" Just playing CD's now and it is better but occasionally still jumping. I've got a new pioneer burner coming soon so hopefully that will help.
May 31, 2007 5:07:00 PM

I would probably switch to a Plextor CD drive if audio is your thing (and you want highest quality). They generally are the best as far as music is concerned. Plus the CD drives are only a couple of bucks more than cheapo dvd burners (and your NEC is like 2 years old, right?).
May 31, 2007 6:26:15 PM

You might have to invest into a newer DVD Writer or use Nero or Roxio software. I never had any difficulty ripping, burning or mixing MP3, WAV or WMV files using my 18X Plextor Writer (PX-800A/SW ) with the newer Nero 7 (Premium Reloaded). I have never written any music, audio or movies files onto a blank HP CD- lower than 40X or Fuji DVD+R lower than 12X. Another thing to check is your current DVD Writer firmware. Maybe your burning software just needed some software update. You might want to switch to a different blank DVD-Disc brand. Good luck! 8)
May 31, 2007 7:08:10 PM

It sounds like something along the way isn't working properly. This could mean something either in your computer setup, the discs you use or even your DJ equipment CD drives could be screwy.

I would first look at what software you are using. The best software I have found personally for burning audio CDs is a free program called Burrrn. http://www.burrrn.net/ All it is programed to do is burn music CDs..nothing else.

Next I would look at what brand CDs you are using to burn with. Maybe the brand you are using just simply isn't cutting it with your current drive and or DJ equipment. I have also ran into bad spindles (packs). Where the whole spindle was just bad.

If those two things aren't satisfactory get a new CD drive. But don't buy a DVD/CD combo. Get a drive that is for CD only. I have noticed that this can make a difference on how readable your CD is on certain equipment.

Just a final note on CD writing speeds. The slower the burn speed does not actually mean less errors on burns, especially on newer drives. The ideal speed depends on the particular writer and the particular CD brand. If you tried blanks made by a number of different manufacturers, you might find each brand giving its best quality at a different writing speed.

Having said that the optimal writing speed with newer drives seem to be at around 16x-32x. As stated above, some particular brand generally performs best on any given writer and playback system. But what stands true with newer drives is that if you burn at 12x or lower you are just wasting time and probably creating a disc with more errors.
!