Cooler Master Centurion 5? whats the big grey ring?

Jdm240sx

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
i just got my case today and theres this abnormally large grey ring i manage to find nothing about it on the internet and it fits nothing on the case?

does anyone know the purpose of this ring?

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
is it rubber, like a washer? Perhaps it goes to one of the fans? Looked at all the pictures for that case on newegg, and I don't see anything that resembles what you are talking about.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
i was also wondering what that was,so its a ferrite magnet wtf is that for?
It's a magnetic core, which is not the same thing as a magnet (for example it has no magnetic pull unless there's a wire carrying current wrapped around it).

You use these cores in EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) suppression by running wires through them. Do you have an older console system like a PS2 or original Xbox with wired controllers? They use ferrite cores (slightly different form factor, same idea) on the controller cables like the arrow points to in the picture below. You can also frequently find them on USB cables. I have no idea where they expect you to use that thing in the PC though.

ps2_ctrl.jpg

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
i was also wondering what that was,so its a ferrite magnet wtf is that for?
It's a magnetic core, which is not the same thing as a magnet (for example it has no magnetic pull unless there's a wire carrying current wrapped around it).

You use these cores in EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) suppression by running wires through them. Do you have an older console system like a PS2 or original Xbox with wired controllers? They use ferrite cores (slightly different form factor, same idea) on the controller cables like the arrow points to in the picture below. You can also frequently find them on USB cables. I have no idea where they expect you to use that thing in the PC though.

ps2_ctrl.jpg

It is for the front USB/Firewire ports, run the cables through the ring and back through again before pluging them into the motherboard.