Best Northbridge Fan that will fit my case + memory cooling

matador_de_sa

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
What is the best northbridge cooling solution that is under 20$ for my setup. I have a gigabyte ds3 and a tuniq tower 120, so as you can see in this picture not very many heat sinks will fit. I'm gonna try and overclock it to ~500 fsb. However, I don't always want it running that fast and hot, so I won't have it running that fast all the time, and when it's running slow I want my comp to be silent. So I need a heat sink that can cool moderately well without a fan, and a lot better with a fan (I have no problem using twine/rubber bands to attach my own fan). I was thinking possibly this heat sink, but it's a little expensive.

Also, my memory is running really hot and I'm wondering if there's a easy cooling solution for that. They already have a stock heat sink (they're g.skill).

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
The HR-05 is one of the best NB coolers around ATM, it'll serve you well.

There are deticated ram coolers, but most people just put a couple 120mm fans on top of the sticks, then attach them with rubber bands, cable ties, ect.

What kind of C2D do you have? A 500mhz FSB is a massive oc for anything over an E6300. Even for an E6400 (4ghz after the oc) you would need water cooling for the thing to be stable.

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I agree that the Thermalright HR-05 is just about the best available at this time. However, I don't think you will be able to squeeze it in that small space.

Take a look at the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II. It's quite a bit smaller, and the fins are offset from the base, so it should fit.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah. HR05 and HR05 SLI are the best north bridge coolers but are the very huge. It might not fit in between the graphics card and cpu cooler. I tried it with my set up and it did not work, instead I have a low-rpm 80mm fan directs cool air to the n/b to keep it's cool.