Why should I buy a Toshiba 46HM84 46" HDTV DLP Television

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 17, 2005 11:54:38 AM

All of my research so far keeps going back to a DLP set. My local TV
shop said this Toshiba set was the way to go. Their quote of $2900.
plus the stand and the necessary home theater system will end up
setting me back about $4000. Much more than I had budgeted for.
Three questions for those that know:

1. What is the real difference between the 46HM84 and the 46HM94?

2. I went right to the web after my visit to the local shop and I have
been able to put together a collection of prices which bring the cost
down to arond $2900 total. All items are indicated as new. Why
shouldn't I go this route?

3. Is there a known flaw with DLP technology that is not commonly known?
January 17, 2005 3:20:29 PM

petetartar@nycap.rr.com wrote:

> All of my research so far keeps going back to a DLP set. My local TV
> shop said this Toshiba set was the way to go. Their quote of $2900.
> plus the stand and the necessary home theater system will end up
> setting me back about $4000. Much more than I had budgeted for.
> Three questions for those that know:
>
> 1. What is the real difference between the 46HM84 and the 46HM94?
>
> 2. I went right to the web after my visit to the local shop and I have
> been able to put together a collection of prices which bring the cost
> down to arond $2900 total. All items are indicated as new. Why
> shouldn't I go this route?
>
> 3. Is there a known flaw with DLP technology that is not commonly known?

I have the Toshiba 62HM94 and I bought it online from amazon.com. I
first got a price from a local store and they could have gotten the set
for me but it would have cost me $1800 more. Amazon has the 46HM84 for
about $2022 and the 94 for a couple hundred more. The 94 has an internal
tuner plus some other things that the 84 doesn't have so for such a
small price difference I'd go with the 94.

Sharon
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 11:13:19 PM

Biggest problems with DLP:

Rainbow effects, don't let anyone tell you they don't exist, they do but I
only see them if I make myself see them (and now I have to make sure I don't
do the things that cause me to see them).

Inferior contrast on dark scenes, this may not be as bad as with larger sets
when you have to turn the brightness down in a dark room if you aren't
sitting way back, but otherwise some pictures, mainly dark scenes in movies,
mainly kind of "wash out in the dark".

Some sets (and this isn't exclusive to DLP but also applies to LCDRP as
well) will exhibit "bowing" or pincushion type issues that cannot be
adjusted out completely like they could on a CRT RPTV that has pincushion
adjustments. Direct view panels will not have this problem.

Lamp replacement $$ (again not exclusive to DLP).

Currently limited to 720p native resolution (scales 1080i down to 720p) -
probably not noticeable for most, but still an issue.

Best parts (IMO):

Very bright picture.

Simplicity of design.

No burn in issues.

Lightweight.

Price (at least in comparison to Plasma / LCD panels).

Relatively thin and small as compared to other RP technologies.

Great sharpness
<petetartar@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> All of my research so far keeps going back to a DLP set. My local TV
> shop said this Toshiba set was the way to go. Their quote of $2900.
> plus the stand and the necessary home theater system will end up
> setting me back about $4000. Much more than I had budgeted for.
> Three questions for those that know:
>
> 1. What is the real difference between the 46HM84 and the 46HM94?
>
> 2. I went right to the web after my visit to the local shop and I have
> been able to put together a collection of prices which bring the cost
> down to arond $2900 total. All items are indicated as new. Why
> shouldn't I go this route?
>
> 3. Is there a known flaw with DLP technology that is not commonly known?

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:28:42 AM

In article <1105980878.569905.124680@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
petetartar@nycap.rr.com <petetartar@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
>All of my research so far keeps going back to a DLP set. My local TV
>shop said this Toshiba set was the way to go. Their quote of $2900.
>plus the stand and the necessary home theater system will end up
>setting me back about $4000. Much more than I had budgeted for.
>Three questions for those that know:
>
>1. What is the real difference between the 46HM84 and the 46HM94?

The xxHM94 line has an internal HDTV tuner and (I think) cable card
support. Plus a few other input ports. I went for the xxHM84 back in
September instead of waiting for the xxHM94, which I didn't see a need
for, since all my TV goes through the Tivo anyway, and will be going
through the cable company's STB when I get around to receiving HDTV.

>2. I went right to the web after my visit to the local shop and I have
>been able to put together a collection of prices which bring the cost
>down to arond $2900 total. All items are indicated as new. Why
>shouldn't I go this route?

I used Onecall.com after a similar local-shop experience. Onecall.com was
very good to me. I didn't bother with "white glove" delivery service,
but paid the building maintenance guy $20 bucks to help me schlepp the
TV into the living room and dispose of the box.

I suppose the main advantage of going the local-shop route is to have
someone to yell at if the thing doesn't work. If there was a problem
with the unit, I'd have to go through more hoops with an online retailer
to get service. Though the local shop may not be much better: once the
TV is in your house, it's most likely yours, no matter who you buy from.
Service issues would be up to Toshiba to resolve. The several hundred
dollars in savings (tax, delivery, generally lower prices on the Internet)
made the slightly higher risk of dealing with annoying support problems
worthwhile. Other people may have a different risk calculus.

>3. Is there a known flaw with DLP technology that is not commonly known?

The main one is the rainbow effect, which I can sort of see, but doesn't
bother me. This will depend on the individual, so go to the store and
look at floor models. See if they'll let you pop in a DVD of rapidly
moving, white on black scenes (I sort of see rainbows in Star Wars IV,
when the X-Wings are darting across the screen). If it bothers you,
you will need to consider LCDRP. If not, then not.

The color wheel of consumer DLP sets will make a bit of a sound, but I
only notice it on start up on the Toshiba. After the first couple of
seconds, it quiets down and is inaudible to me.

This is probably true of all rear-projection sets, but it takes a couple
of minutes for the bulb to get to full brightness, so you can't plop down
on the sofa and expect a perfect image instantly. Note that the Toshiba
has a warm-restart, so that if you turn the TV off and change your mind
quickly, it can bring the bulb to full power quickly. I'm under the
impression that other units tend not to act favorably to such treatment.

Many of the DLP TVs have very glossy, reflective screens. The Toshiba
doesn't, and it's one of the reasons I chose it instead of, say,
the Samsung. I have windows opposite the TV, and I needed a set that
would be bright and anti-glare. The Toshiba fits the bill: I can watch
a perfectly acceptable image in the middle of the day.
!