I have been trying to save some docs on CDs, but am unable to do so. Have
tried Roxio and XP. Somewhere I found the following info under Disc & Device
Utility:
Seek, Synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Unit not ready
(Ox12060001).
I have no idea what that means other than it is not working. Is there
something I can do to remedy this problem without having to take it to a
computer store?

Hi,

Does the drive work otherwise? If not, it may be faulty and in need of
replacement.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Blythe" <Blythe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been trying to save some docs on CDs, but am unable to do so. Have
> tried Roxio and XP. Somewhere I found the following info under Disc &
> Device
> Utility:
> Seek, Synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Unit not ready
> (Ox12060001).
> I have no idea what that means other than it is not working. Is there
> something I can do to remedy this problem without having to take it to a
> computer store?

Rick:
I put in a game CD with no problem. When I put in a blank disc I can hear
it trying to catch but it doesn't and then says no disc in the drive. I have
also tried Radio Shacks disc laser lens cleaner.
Blythe

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does the drive work otherwise? If not, it may be faulty and in need of
> replacement.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Blythe" <Blythe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have been trying to save some docs on CDs, but am unable to do so. Have
> > tried Roxio and XP. Somewhere I found the following info under Disc &
> > Device
> > Utility:
> > Seek, Synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Unit not ready
> > (Ox12060001).
> > I have no idea what that means other than it is not working. Is there
> > something I can do to remedy this problem without having to take it to a
> > computer store?

"without having to take it to a computer store" ,you mean ,you didn't want
to save it to HD first?
"Blythe" <Blythe@discussions.microsoft.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:10C6F4D7-810B-40E4-A3EA-1A9B7B56B7A0@microsoft.com...
> I have been trying to save some docs on CDs, but am unable to do so. Have
> tried Roxio and XP. Somewhere I found the following info under Disc &
> Device
> Utility:
> Seek, Synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Unit not ready
> (Ox12060001).
> I have no idea what that means other than it is not working. Is there
> something I can do to remedy this problem without having to take it to a
> computer store?

Even I don't make sense of your issue very much,but I think following
article may be help......
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
"Blythe" <Blythe@discussions.microsoft.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:10C6F4D7-810B-40E4-A3EA-1A9B7B56B7A0@microsoft.com...
> I have been trying to save some docs on CDs, but am unable to do so. Have
> tried Roxio and XP. Somewhere I found the following info under Disc &
> Device
> Utility:
> Seek, Synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Unit not ready
> (Ox12060001).
> I have no idea what that means other than it is not working. Is there
> something I can do to remedy this problem without having to take it to a
> computer store?

My apologies, Rick and Lucyfer. I don't blame you for misunderstanding. I
intended to write "save docs FROM my hard drive ONTO CDs. Mea culpa.

"lucyfer" wrote:

> Even I don't make sense of your issue very much,but I think following
> article may be help......
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
> "Blythe" <Blythe@discussions.microsoft.com> �´Èë�û�¢�ÂÎÅ:10C6F4D7-810B-40E4-A3EA-1A9B7B56B7A0@microsoft.com...
> > I have been trying to save some docs on CDs, but am unable to do so. Have
> > tried Roxio and XP. Somewhere I found the following info under Disc &
> > Device
> > Utility:
> > Seek, Synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Unit not ready
> > (Ox12060001).
> > I have no idea what that means other than it is not working. Is there
> > something I can do to remedy this problem without having to take it to a
> > computer store?

Hi,

I would try powering down, then reseat the IDE and power cable in the drive
tower. If that fails to correct it, and the error messages you list still
appear, then it's time for a new drive.