Sign in with
Your question

Buying new computer and wanna run Vista and XP.

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 10, 2009 5:35:50 AM

I'm more than likely buying a new computer tomorrow Hp Pavilion a6814y, and it comes pre-loaded with Vista 64bit. But I also wanna throw in my old hdd which has XP 32bit on it just to transfer over some files and whatnot. So 1. What is the easiest way to temporarily and/or permanently run both OS. 2. On HP's site, the specs for the memory for a 32bit OS is 4gb and on 64bit OS is 6gb, expandable to 8gb. And the processor it comes with is an Intel Pentium Duo-Core Processor E5200. Will the memory and processor be major concerns for XP 32bit?

Thanks
June 10, 2009 11:28:17 AM

The best way to transfer files would be to put the XP HDD in an external USB 2.0 drive enclosure, transfer your files then format and use the old XP HDD as an external backup HDD.

If you're actually intending on being able to boot from both HDDs and continue running XP as well as Vista, the XP HDD will require a Repair Installation to function properly, a legal license, plus all the necessary drivers for the new systems hardware.

XP will only use the memory it needs the rest will not be allocated, however when you said Vista 64?, what Vista 64, Home Premium, Ultimate?

Dual booting WinXP 32, and Vista Home Premium 64, will surely cost you your Vista Restore Points, there are work arounds but you do not want to risk loosing your Restore points in Vista, thats why I suggested the External HDD route.
m
l
June 10, 2009 4:45:56 PM

4Ryan6 said:
The best way to transfer files would be to put the XP HDD in an external USB 2.0 drive enclosure, transfer your files then format and use the old XP HDD as an external backup HDD.

If you're actually intending on being able to boot from both HDDs and continue running XP as well as Vista, the XP HDD will require a Repair Installation to function properly, a legal license, plus all the necessary drivers for the new systems hardware.

XP will only use the memory it needs the rest will not be allocated, however when you said Vista 64?, what Vista 64, Home Premium, Ultimate?

Dual booting WinXP 32, and Vista Home Premium 64, will surely cost you your Vista Restore Points, there are work arounds but you do not want to risk loosing your Restore points in Vista, thats why I suggested the External HDD route.

Oh my bad, its Vista Home Premium 64 with SP1.
m
l
Related resources
!