Mcafee VirusScan Plus Installation Trouble...

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hi

The story begins with the pc of my friend. I went to fix it and install an antivirus. I installed Mcafee virsucan plus. To improve perfomance, I decided to defragment his PC so I used Diskeeper. After degragmenting and doing a boot-defragmentation, the PC restarted and the antivirus was gone!!!!

What the...., so it was really weird. I decided to install it again but it would just show a blank window with the mcafee logo at the top and a button saying label and also there is a bar (I think is suposedly to show the green bars to show is loading) but nothing loads or appears and whenever I click in Label, the button will disappear and nothing will happen. So I thought the files might have been affected so what I did was trying to desinstall and install again, but windows said that the program was already desinstalled!. I also went to the macafee folder and there is absolutely nothing.

I decided to restore the system, and windows told me that THERE WAS NO RESTAURATION POINT CREATED! so I cant bring it back before the defragmentation!.

Now there are some problems....

1) I cannot install macafee cause the screen wont show anything loading, clicking Label button will do nothing. I cant run the cd because is windows vista home premium so I had to download the vista upgrade 1.2 from macafee.

2) Siteadvisor is still installed, I forgot to desinstalled and I think thats what causing my friends pc not to enter his email. He just called me and is telling me that internet works but he cannot check his email, hotmail wont load.

3) I will have to install him a internet-downloaded nod32 that I use since I cannot install Macafee nomore.

Now what I think

1) Might it be that mcafee installer for vista created some kind of registry key that lets it know that it has been installed in the pc already so it wont be installed again in the pc?

2) Do you really think Site Advisor is making my friend not to let him in hotmail?

3) What can I do to install Mcafee again with no problems? (I cannot run cd, it will say incompatible and will cause problems)

4) If for any reason the hotmail problems gets complicated there is noway I can bring the pc back to its status before the defrag, only the HP restore system but it says it will bring it back to system factory (which I dont know if it deletes user files and programs thats why I didnt use it) Any tip on this?

Please help me out is really important, I dont want to let my friend down on this.

Thanks everybody

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

This is a link to uninstall any mcafee program and you can run the program and try again.

# Note: Windows Vista users must right-click and select Run as Administrator.
# Once the removal tool is finished, you will be prompted to restart your computer. If you choose to restart later, your McAfee product will not be fully removed until you do.

Hope it helps, if not you can try and download a registry cleaner. I don't understand much about the other problems --- you might try downloading a running a free Virus program just to make sure his system is clean

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Thank you a lot for that! looks like that it what Im looking for.

I just hope it also removes any key or file that contains any # of installations so I can install it again with no problems.
Anyways, if I cant install Mcafee again, he told me is OK to install NOD32 since I used and is a nice AV.

Im almost sure its the Site Advisor the one making all this hotmail problems, if it doesnt solve it, Ill try the MCPR.exe

As long as I can fix the hotmail problem, everything is fine cause that way, I would just see if I install mcafee or nod32.

Do you know (if for any reason) if I use the HP system restore, will it erase the files and programs that my friend currently has on his PC?

Again, Thanks for your help

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I haven't done an HP restore in a while but I know that Sony offers a couple of options during the restore (like repair, restore, and clean install) but it seems like it would almost be easier for you to go back to factory settings and try again --- just back up his files before hand

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I better dont try that. Dont want to erase my friends file or he will kill me.

Any explanation on why does internet work but hotmail doesnt want to show up?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
sorry, no idea about hotmail --- I know that when MS did the hotmail beta I couldn't log into hotmail beta in firefox - just wouldn't do it.

Now I don't have any problems, in xp or vista --IE7 or firefox 2.0

Try D/L firefox or Opera to see if he can get to hotmail with a different browser -- might narrow it down to IE7

I have more than one account from hotmail so I've been using their Desktop Live mail Beta --- Its like a free version of Outlook that works with hotmail accounts. If you want to try it beware I had to download the file and then turn off my LAN for it to install (one reason its still in Beta) --- but anyway -- that may be a work around

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Oh man, I just hope is that site advisor thing or something related with macfee so I can erase it with MCPR.exe

well, ill see how everything goes. Thanks for your help bro :)

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
86 that McAfee and put the NOD on there. Love the NOD. Never had any problems with it even with Vista and the small footprint is very nice - not a hog like the other big names.

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
McAffee site advisor is annoying at best.

I'd get rid of that AV completely. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Nod32 I've heard of from some of my coworkers, and they love it. I dunno, I'm a meat and potatoes and pc-cillin man myself(then again, I'm also likely to develop major heart disease :p). But from what I've heard, nod32 is really good.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well thats not really a problem, the thing is that I want to solve him the problem that he has that he cannot check his email on hotmail.

I dont really care if Mcafee doesnt work anymore, he said is OK to install NOD32 in case Mcafee dont work, but the thing is that he needs his internet to work with all pages and thats what worries me.

Wish me luck U_U

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Yeah I think if I get to fix his cannot-open-hotmail.com problem and Mcafee installation works again, I will NOT install Site advisor just for safety.

Well, everybody learns with mistakes.

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
get dial-a-fix. Run permissions fix under tools. Then try changing the permissions in i.e. so he can actually run javascript and activex properly again.