New computer for photography

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Photo
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2007 2:36:56 AM

I am looking to build a new computer for use mostly with photography - both film and digital, so it will need to be quick with scanning images and manipulating photos. It will also be used for general buisness type stuff.
I am looking to spend around $750 and am looking for advice.

CPU:
I think I would like to go with an AMD system because while they may not be as good as C2D, I think they are cheaper, however I am open to suggestions. I was thinking something like an AMD 4800+ or a C2D E6300.

MOBO: Clueless for an AMD, Gigabyte DS3 for Intel if I decide to go that route

RAM; 2GB, not sure which kind yet.

PSU: Is 500W enough? Any recommendations?

HD: Seagate 320GB SATA = $90

VIDEO: The computer will not be used to play games at all, but I would like the ability to run dual monitors. I'm open to suggestions, but would like to keep it $100 or less.

CASE: I'll probably get something cheap like the CoolerMaster Centurion 5.

I'll allow $70 for Dvd burner and CD drive.

I can get the OS through school for cheap so I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks for your help!

More about : computer photography

May 31, 2007 8:04:13 AM

CPU: Definitely go with the C2D. I like the E4300 personally.

MOBO: Ds3 is good.

Ram: any kind, 2gb

PSU: Enermax Liberty 400w

HD: fine

Videocard: you can get a cheapie that can do dual monitors. I'll let someone else recommend one, but the geforce 7 series is pretty cheap and should work.

DVD burner- get a cheapie, costs about $40.
May 31, 2007 8:37:18 AM

Go with a C2D, 4gigs of memory, Vista or XP 64, and a midrange GFX card. Your photo editing software will thank you. :) 
May 31, 2007 10:34:52 AM

C2D seemed to be better at photo-editing software like Photoshop, but Athlon X2 shouldn't be too far behind if it's in the same price range. Dual-core is the key here. Don't get the geforce 7 series, get their NVS series workstation cards instead, or get the ATI cards they usually have better color saturation and higher general quality, or get a matrox card if you want even better color accuracy and the most mature dual/triple head support. However AFAIK most Macs use Nvidia cards...

depends on your workflow/level of photography the setup could vary quite a bit, but any modern PC should be able to handle the occasional photo or non HD video editing.
!