Writing Data to DVD-R - I feel so stupid havng to ask this..

Yup & I don't mind if you say "simply do this..... stupid"?

I'm using Win XP Home, SP2.

I want to copy some data to a DVD-R / treat the DVD drive just like any
other drive (drag and drop files from a HDD to the DVD-R).
How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Also, can I leave the disc "open" when I eject it (in case I want to
add/remove files to it at a later date?

--
Jooster aka
Matt Pickering

To do this, you need software that does two things.

1) Supports "packet writing"
2) Supports DVD-RW media

InCD and Direct CD both support these features.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Jooster" <mattp@peps.com.joostersaysnotospam> wrote in message news:2A9DEC3C-DC63-4395-B133-C42A6FA0B15D@microsoft.com...
> Yup & I don't mind if you say "simply do this..... stupid"?
>
> I'm using Win XP Home, SP2.
>
> I want to copy some data to a DVD-R / treat the DVD drive just like any
> other drive (drag and drop files from a HDD to the DVD-R).
> How do I do this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Also, can I leave the disc "open" when I eject it (in case I want to
> add/remove files to it at a later date?
>
> --
> Jooster aka
> Matt Pickering
> Wednesbury
> West Midlands
> UK

Thanks Doug. I've found such an App (pre-installed when I bought PC).

Thanks again

--
Jooster aka
Matt Pickering

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> To do this, you need software that does two things.
>
> 1) Supports "packet writing"
> 2) Supports DVD-RW media
>
> InCD and Direct CD both support these features.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Jooster" <mattp@peps.com.joostersaysnotospam> wrote in message news:2A9DEC3C-DC63-4395-B133-C42A6FA0B15D@microsoft.com...
> > Yup & I don't mind if you say "simply do this..... stupid"?
> >
> > I'm using Win XP Home, SP2.
> >
> > I want to copy some data to a DVD-R / treat the DVD drive just like any
> > other drive (drag and drop files from a HDD to the DVD-R).
> > How do I do this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Also, can I leave the disc "open" when I eject it (in case I want to
> > add/remove files to it at a later date?
> >
> > --
> > Jooster aka
> > Matt Pickering
> > Wednesbury
> > West Midlands
> > UK

You're welcome :)

"Jooster" <mattp@peps.com.joostersaysnotospam> wrote in message news:4702E6CF-2842-4DA2-BCCB-304CBE15E2E0@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Doug. I've found such an App (pre-installed when I bought PC).
>
> Thanks again
>
> --
> Jooster aka
> Matt Pickering
> Wednesbury
> West Midlands
> UK
>

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> To do this, you need software that does two things.
>>
>> 1) Supports "packet writing"
>> 2) Supports DVD-RW media
>>
>> InCD and Direct CD both support these features.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Jooster" <mattp@peps.com.joostersaysnotospam> wrote in message news:2A9DEC3C-DC63-4395-B133-C42A6FA0B15D@microsoft.com...
>> > Yup & I don't mind if you say "simply do this..... stupid"?
>> >
>> > I'm using Win XP Home, SP2.
>> >
>> > I want to copy some data to a DVD-R / treat the DVD drive just like any
>> > other drive (drag and drop files from a HDD to the DVD-R).
>> > How do I do this?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Also, can I leave the disc "open" when I eject it (in case I want to
>> > add/remove files to it at a later date?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jooster aka
>> > Matt Pickering
>> > Wednesbury
>> > West Midlands
>> > UK

Packet formatting is nice and easy but it tends to get flaky over time. If
you are going to use packet writing to backup important data you would do
well to invest in data rescue software like this
http://www.infinadyne.com/cddvd_diagnostic.html , this
http://www.smart-projects.net/ or http://www.naltech.com/ Personally I like
the later because it will let you recover data off a quick formatted DVDRW
disc. If you do a full format though your data will be gone.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp