Hard Disk Drive Setup

luckyniji13

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
New Build, every time updating drives a bsod pops up. There is enough memory and all parts are new [nothing outdated]. Also, I can't boot this computer without the OS disc inside of it.

In this tutorial it mentions two files found on ME and 98 that seem required to partition and format. I have windows 7 Home Premium, my question is can I still apply this tutorial to Windows 7?

Or can someone help me find a fairy easy one to follow [noob].

Thanks.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
You need just one primary partition to form a logical disk to install your OS on it.
You need more partitions only if you want to have more as one logical drive on your physical drive. There is no such thing as unallocated partition, there is unallocated space, meaning a space without a partition formed on it. It's better at the end all your space to be allocated - to belong to some partition, else it will be invisible /and inaccessible/ to your OS - e. g. "wasted".

luckyniji13

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
.Boot off W7 install dvd, when you get to the bit that lets you select your install hdd/partition, delete any old hdd/partition info and then just select the full empty drive and continue with install, W7 will take it from there.

So do not create new partition before reformatting?