1GB GDDR4 Radeon HD 2900XT next month ?

24 answers Last reply
More about gddr4 radeon 2900xt month
  1. It'll cost more than the 512MB HD 2900XT and yield no performance increase. :wink:
  2. Ive heard that the GDDR4 doesnt OC as well as the GDDR3. Maybe a higher clock? I dont think this is the 65nm
  3. Quote:
    Ive heard that the GDDR4 doesnt OC as well as the GDDR3. Maybe a higher clock? I dont think this is the 65nm

I don't think it's the 65 nm either, it seems too soon for that refresh.

On a side note, maybe I'm an idiot here, but didn't the X1950 series use GDDR4 before? Wouldn't ATI already have experience with the stuff to know how they can clock it?
  4. Quote:
    It'll cost more than the 512MB HD 2900XT and yield no performance increase. :wink:

roflmao just like a 512mb FX5200 - all that memory, it must be fast, right? :lol:
  5. I agree it won't be the 65nm version, I believe that to be the X2950 series.

I also agree with Heyyou, this isn't likely to lead to any performance gains except maybe at max res with max detail, but that is just a guess. It shall be interesting to see how this plays out.
  6. Nice location. :wink:
  7. Will it come with HD acceleration at least :-D ?
  8. The UVD would have been nice, but even without it, the 2900 has more decoding than all but the G84 or G86
  9. Quote:
    what itll do?

It will begin a whole new era of power consumption and heat dissipation. It reminds me of the late P4s. Faster clocks, bigger cache and insane heat - for next to no performance gain. Or those 7600GS with 512Mb...

It´s a sad attempt to catch stupid customers with big numbers that actually mean nothing.
  10. Quote:
    Ive heard that the GDDR4 doesnt OC as well as the GDDR3. Maybe a higher clock? I dont think this is the 65nm

I don't think it's the 65 nm either, it seems too soon for that refresh.

On a side note, maybe I'm an idiot here, but didn't the X1950 series use GDDR4 before? Wouldn't ATI already have experience with the stuff to know how they can clock it?Yeah, the X1950XTX uses DDR4 @ 2GHz effective. I don't think it's a matter of ATI having experience with it or not, but how cheap they're able to get 1GB of DDR4 for per card when they're already going to have to price it lower than the 8800GTX.
  11. True...unless they have a higher clocked gpu in it. Thats always one way to sell it too. Maybe a 10% or so in improvements...hey some people are actually buying the Ultra!! heheh
  12. Will you be able to see where they erased the final "x" on these cards?
  13. If they up the clock speeds significantly and if it doesn't cost significantly more than the actual HD 2900XT, then it'll be nice. Else it's just another geForce "Ultra".
  14. I read on a site that GDDR4 costs much more than GDDR3 & that's one of the reasons that GeForce8 series still use GDDR3.
    So prepare to see 4-Digits prices! :P
  15. 1Gig on a video card really only matters at really high resolutions like 2560 x 1600. Ontop of that GDDR4 is more expensive and doesn't reach as high clock speeds, although it's typical bottom speeds are higher the top speeds are not.

Someone with deep pockets could get 2 of these cards and 2 crazy big 2560 x 1600 screens and make us all want to puke though. If I had that kind of cash I just get some strippers.
  16. Quote:

If they aren't clocked higher then there will be no performance benefit and an enormous increase in cost. If they are clocked higher then there will be almost no performance benefit and an enormous increase in cost. My bet is that the price-performance change will make the 8800Ultra look great.
  17. crossfire... sorry that i always point to a 2 card setup but dammit, dual gpu is better and with the prices of some cards only slightly more expensive. But if i can get this for $400 hell yeah...anyway if it IS just an 'ultra' then all you need to is clock the keerap out of an xt and you have saved yourself a bunch.
  18. If it's such a failure then why did ATI just come out with the Dual X1950PRO, it even has 1Gb of memory, it's even overpriced and too huge. lol anyway, I'm not defending ATI,Nvidia, or saying it's a bad concept. I'm only saying if it's so bad then why are people still making them and buying them?
  19. Quote:
    It'll cost more than the 512MB HD 2900XT and yield no performance increase. :wink:

The funny thing is I would point out the faster memory and size, except I doubt either have anything to do with the XT's performance problems. I doubt it's left wanting for memory bandwidth, and I doubt it's able to get the back end working well enough with what little resources it has right now to make 1GB much of an issue.

I could be wrong, but I just don't expect anything surprising from this.
  20. Don't forget the 2.1 sorround sound support.
  21. Quote:
    Ati never came up with that design, that was saphire on their own

Well my point is that the idea isn't bad, but it's kind of stupid overall.
  22. Quote:
    Don't forget the 2.1 sorround sound support.

Always wondered how 2.1 can be considered surround sound if it doesn't surround you? That in and of itself seems to negate the usage of the term. It always makes me grin a bit when you see such silly terms like that.
  23. hopefully all that will happen is it will push the price of the other cards on the markets down, making things more affordable for us (the consumer) that will hopefully be timed in line with when i get a 8800gts 640mb coz they havent really dropped in price much in Australia yet :(
  24. this release could be only a marketing strategy to show some uninformed people(a lot of poeple) that ati is still in the race and that they are back with their super product. i think they rely on their name and brand and previous sucess as well as their 1 gb gddr4 tag to sell a few cards.

on the other side that all amd can do at the moment...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Radeon Graphics