progenitorvirus

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
My computer, when Minimizing/Maximizing any windows, will not let me move my mouse cursor until it has minimized/maximized. Its short, but annoying and shouldn't be happening.

I'd think it to be normal on a low-power machine, or one with bad graphics and can't animate it, maybe bad RAM or slow CPU, but my system is;

3.0 GHz CPU (e8400)
2 GB DDR2 667 MHz Ram
2 * 8800GT Running SLI

It doesn't seem to happen on Boot, or shortly after, but I'm at a loss as to how to fix it!

Generally the only programs I have running at once are: Peer Guardian 2, Windows Live Messenger, uTorrent (Latest), Firefox, and of course my virus scanner, Avast Home Edition.

Firefox, Messenger, PG2 and uTorrent I open up after my PC boots and can't recall having these problems when they are NOT running. Likewise, same programs on Vista Home Premium and nothing like this, and Ubuntu 8.10 and nothing like this.

I check my Task Manager and see no CPU Usage spikes when I minimize/maximize windows.

Does anybody have a clue

amishra123

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Hey ! Could it be your hardrive stopiing and then restarting again?? You could try using another one and see if it still happens. If it does then it is your hardware and if it doesnt then i was right and it is mostlikely your hardrive
Hope i helped
Amishra

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
It may be utilizing the swap file since Utorrent is running.
2G of ram isnt all that much when several things are running.
Try to pause Utorrent wait 5 mins. and see if it gets better.

progenitorvirus

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Tried turning everything off, nothing until I reboot. The problem is intermittent, right now, these progs have been on overnight and nothing is wrong :\

I have another gig (2 * 512 sticks) I could put in, but they're only 533 MHz, however I like my computer pristine :p, so if it helps, I'd pop them in there.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I dont think the 533 to 667 speeds will make much difference compared to the advantages of the extra 1 G.
Your memory will revert to 533mhz but if you can afford it grab 2 more Gs of memory of the same or higher speed as memory is pretty cheap right now.

If you put in higher speed memory it will still run at 667mhz.

progenitorvirus

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Well, I put in the Ram, same thing :\

Just happened again, been fine for two days, and after I get out of my screen saver and type in my password, its back.

Jase23

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. I shut down one of my programs called VolumeTouch and happy days - problem solved. Go through all your programs (especially third party/unknown ones) one by one and exit/shut them down until you find the culprit. Probably no need to completely uninstall them.