Attn: Mitsubishi DLP owners!

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 17, 2005 1:16:09 PM

I need your help, I'm still fighting with the retailer and Mitsubishi
over getting my 62725 replaced because the picture curves upward in the
bottom right hand 1/4 of the screen (a horizontal line like ESPN's
bottom line or the bottom of the on-screen program guide will be 1/2"
higher on the right than the left, this is not true at the top). The
service people from HHGregg say that Mits. tells them it's "within
spec." but won't say exactly what that spec. is. They have agreed to
exchange it but if the next set has the same problem then they say I'm
stuck with it!! I'd like all of you to put your sets to the test and
let me know if a horizontal line on the top and bottom are truly
horizontal, and if not what the degree of error is (if it was less than
a 1/4 inch or so I could live with it). I don't like the idea of taking
this risk without a good bet that another one won't have the problem.
Any channel with a bottom line ticker will usually serve as a good
test. PLEASE HELP!!
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:49:39 PM

Here's a better way to check for screen tilt (apparently so common that
there is a HUGE thread on AVSForum about it but it's usually just a simple
rotation issue that can be fixed in 20 minutes or so) or really bad
pincushion issues. Press Menu 2457 rewind and it will display multiple
different colored lines around the perimeter or the screen.

"bobukcat" <broiler41018@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I need your help, I'm still fighting with the retailer and Mitsubishi
> over getting my 62725 replaced because the picture curves upward in the
> bottom right hand 1/4 of the screen (a horizontal line like ESPN's
> bottom line or the bottom of the on-screen program guide will be 1/2"
> higher on the right than the left, this is not true at the top). The
> service people from HHGregg say that Mits. tells them it's "within
> spec." but won't say exactly what that spec. is. They have agreed to
> exchange it but if the next set has the same problem then they say I'm
> stuck with it!! I'd like all of you to put your sets to the test and
> let me know if a horizontal line on the top and bottom are truly
> horizontal, and if not what the degree of error is (if it was less than
> a 1/4 inch or so I could live with it). I don't like the idea of taking
> this risk without a good bet that another one won't have the problem.
> Any channel with a bottom line ticker will usually serve as a good
> test. PLEASE HELP!!

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 11:13:22 PM

"bobukcat" <broiler41018@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I need your help, I'm still fighting with the retailer and Mitsubishi
> over getting my 62725 replaced because the picture curves upward in the
> bottom right hand 1/4 of the screen (a horizontal line like ESPN's
> bottom line or the bottom of the on-screen program guide will be 1/2"
> higher on the right than the left, this is not true at the top). The
> service people from HHGregg say that Mits. tells them it's "within
> spec." but won't say exactly what that spec. is. They have agreed to
> exchange it but if the next set has the same problem then they say I'm
> stuck with it!! I'd like all of you to put your sets to the test and
> let me know if a horizontal line on the top and bottom are truly
> horizontal, and if not what the degree of error is (if it was less than
> a 1/4 inch or so I could live with it). I don't like the idea of taking
> this risk without a good bet that another one won't have the problem.
> Any channel with a bottom line ticker will usually serve as a good
> test. PLEASE HELP!!

This really should not be that big of a problem to adjust. The leveling and
keystone are corrected by adjusting the small mirror and/or the tilt on the
light engine. Most can be done with the small mirror adjustments from the
front of the set. If the light engine mounts need to be adjusted you have
to take the back off, but it is still not a big deal.

If you really have pincushion it has to be because the screen or cabinet is
warped. This is unlikely as it would have to be so bad that it would be
obvious to look at. It is more likely that the small mirror is not mounted
straight and you are seeing more tilt on one side. It is very easy to
adjust the small mirror. The space is small, but anyone with even a little
problem solving ability can figure it out. The test patterns that are
internal to the set make it very easy to center and level the pix.

There is nothing in the set that could account for pincushion, other than
severe warping of the mirrors (never seen a mirror defect like that), screen
or cabinet. Get the tilt, centering, and keystone correct and your set will
likely look fine.

There are no published specs for geometry. Mitsubishi has bee very
responsive to any complaints, however, and we have never had a warranty
claim that did not get paid for adjusting it. The are, like all
manufacturers, somewhat at the mercy of the local servicer, who may or may
not be very good at evaluating and solving problems. If they have been to
the Mitsubishi training, this would a be very obvious and easy. The techs
that you are using are, apparently, not able to do much more than color by
numbers. Find another Mitsubishi ASC and have them look at it. Where are
you located?

Leonard
January 18, 2005 12:56:41 AM

Northern KY, near Cincinnati. I've looked at all the sets in the stores
around here and they have the general tilt issue but the picture appears to
be linear, for lack of a better term, on all four sides. Mine is not linear
on the bottom right corner, the line across the bottom is straight until it
gets about 2/3 of the way across and then it slopes upward rather quickly.
After I adjusted it tonight I've made it better but lines across the top are
now sloped downward slightly to compensate and there is still a noticeable
upswing to lines on the bottom (nearly 1/4 inch higher on the right as
opposed to the left), it really bugs me on ESPN or when I have my PC hooked
up to it. I tried twisting the cabinet (it's on an EXTREMELY stable and flat
entertainment credenza BTW) but I'm not going to take the back off to
attempt the adjustment of the light engine as I'd have to break the warranty
stickers to do so, but the techs have never tried that either.

I agree the techs that have been out are rather pitiful, but on the other
hand my conversation with Mitsubishi on the phone today left me very
doubtful of their commitment to their customers. The only thing I could get
from them was "it's within specs", when I pushed as to what the spec was
they said it was proprietary and they would not release it. When I pointed
out this was a moral and legal dilemma - stating a particular set is out of
spec without revealing what the spec is so that the customer knows how close
it is to the limit, how much it would have to degrade to be out of spec,
etc., etc., they just refused to do anything further to assist me. I did
call another local service center but they don't want to touch it if Mits.
says it's within specs. He was cool and called Mits for me but he said that
unless you could see the edge of the picture (black screen) it was
acceptable. With the amount of overscan on this set it would have to curve
at least a full inch for that to occur!

If I treated one of my customers like this I would expect to be fired
immediately if not sooner.

Bob K.

"Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> severe warping of the mirrors (never seen a mirror defect like that),
screen
> or cabinet. Get the tilt, centering, and keystone correct and your set
will
> likely look fine.
>
> There are no published specs for geometry. Mitsubishi has bee very
> responsive to any complaints, however, and we have never had a warranty
> claim that did not get paid for adjusting it. The are, like all
> manufacturers, somewhat at the mercy of the local servicer, who may or may
> not be very good at evaluating and solving problems. If they have been to
> the Mitsubishi training, this would a be very obvious and easy. The techs
> that you are using are, apparently, not able to do much more than color by
> numbers. Find another Mitsubishi ASC and have them look at it. Where are

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:54:23 AM

I'm familiar with the AVS thread though I didn't read much of it
because DLPs ain't my cup of tea. Still, I'd say if this is something
you can actually see with program material as opposed to only on an
alignment grid, I'd get rid of it while I can (assuming it can't be
fixed). I have a Pioneer Elite that has one or two areas of the
convergence screen where the grid is not completely straight and
perpendicular/parallel. This is rarely noticed on program material,
score crawls, etc. Doesn't bother me at all. You pay lotsa buckos for
your TV and you shouldn't have to live with a flawed product. And if
the Mitsubishi people say you have to keep the next one if that has the
problem too, I would make sure there isn't a next Mitsu.

bobukcat wrote:
> [...]
set
> will
> > likely look fine.
> >
> > There are no published specs for geometry. Mitsubishi has bee very
> > responsive to any complaints, however, and we have never had a
warranty
> > claim that did not get paid for adjusting it. The are, like all
> > manufacturers, somewhat at the mercy of the local servicer, who may
or may
> > not be very good at evaluating and solving problems. If they have
been to
> > the Mitsubishi training, this would a be very obvious and easy.
The techs
> > that you are using are, apparently, not able to do much more than
color by
> > numbers. Find another Mitsubishi ASC and have them look at it.

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 1:13:46 PM

I couldn't live with that.........
Especially with spending thousands of dollars.
I'd be looking for it in all content, all the time.
It would just bug the hell out of me.

I do desktop publishing and design work and had to go through
4 - 21in Viewsonics to get on that was correct.. But Viewsonic wasn't
very forthcoming and had to battle to finally get a good one.
Next time around I'm going back to NEC.

--
Ric Seyler

--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:37:15 PM

62725 here...no problems. Lines are straight as a die.

Make them fire up the "replacement" tv right in the shop. Should be a piece
of cake. Just run an extension cord and slide the box top off. You don't
even have to remove the TV from the bottom packing.

Turn it on. Do you test. If it's good, take it. If it's not, get your
money back.

Good luck
Don

!