Sign in with
Your question

Crashing/Freezing

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 14, 2009 5:06:36 AM

Hi. I am having a problem with my system crashing/freezing randomly. What happens is that the screen and cursor freezes and the sound skips (repeats) rapidly. The only way to get out is to shut down the pc manually.

It usually happens when running games (i.e. Sins of a Solar Empire, Civilization IV).

I have the latest video and audio drivers and my DirectX is updated as well.

I'm also wondering if this could be an overheating problem. At rest (typical usage) SpeedFan says my GPU temp is 67 C, and some of my CPU cores periodically reach in excess of 50 C. I'm not sure whether or not that's normal...

Here are my specs:
Gateway LX6810-01
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.3 Ghz Q8200
NVidia GT 120 1 GB
8 GB RAM
640 GB HDD

Thanks for any help you can provide.

P.S. This is a brand new computer, and tech support has not been much help so far. They are suggesting a wipe and reload, so I may try that.

More about : crashing freezing

June 14, 2009 5:18:22 PM

You need to record your temps under load, not idle. 67 and 50 are normal for their respective parts. But idle temps are useless in your problem.
m
l
June 14, 2009 9:42:16 PM

Thanks for the response.

I put some load on the computer and the temps raised to 81 for the GPU and 57 for the CPU. Is that still normal? What should the temps be?

This was only after about a minute, though. My problems usually don't occur until after the computer has been running for a few hours.

m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2009 11:26:32 PM

...You need to test the machine under load in which it cracks. Any other kind of test will give you useless results. This means full load for a few hours or whatnot. Whatever it takes to make it crash/freeze is where you need to test it. Just keep watching the temps until it crashes or freezes.

Edit: And 81/57 are still normal for their respective parts. Generally, GPUs have an upper limit of 110C, but when you hit upper 90s, you've got a problem. For CPUs, you can usually go as high as 70 (and some CPUs 80), but, again, you've got problems when you hit upper 60s. Good full load temps are GPU ~80 and CPU ~50. Your CPU, it turns out, has a max temp of 71.4C, but you should be at least 10C below that.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLG...
m
l
October 12, 2009 1:30:17 AM

Did anyone ever come up with a solution for this? I have the same machine with the same exact problems, only mine will freeze when I'm not even using it. I just return from a breaqk and find video, but am unable to get any response. If the screen saver is not on I can even see the time of the freeze on the system clock. The only way out is a hard restart. Once I lost some data, I became somewhat leery about usinng this machime for anything serious. I cannot listen to any audio as it continuously stutters whether downloaded or direct from CD. Once I tried to open a simple program not long after restarting and received an error message that I didn't have anough resources available. I had nothing else running. I could even do a standard restart.
m
l
!