I'm not sure where to post this, so I thought I would post here first. I
have dsl, modem is a Netopia. I have windows XP home. There is not a
network. I have one computer with all the latest updates. I have ran spybot,
adware and registry first-aid. I have zone alarm firewall, Norton
Systemworks for viruses. The problem is if I don't use my computer for
awhile I can't connect to the Internet anymore. I have to turn off modem and
reboot in order to connect. I've had windows XP for about 3 years and have
not had to reboot for anything that wasn't my fault. I borrowed a friends
modem and the same things happen and friend has no problems with mine. If
anybody has any ideas I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any
and all help.

Gordon

Hi there ,

Just fixed this problem myself (so far so good). There is a fix for XPsp 2 -
look on the microsoft site for kb884020 . This is to fix the problems
causing 'limited or no connectivity' messages. download the fix, and your
drop outs should be minimised.

I put up with this for so long and the isp never bothered to inform me even
after threats to send the 'cruddy modem' back. Had to find it by threating
to stop paying the dsl bills.

Hope this helps

Doug

"not to bright" <please@helpme.net> wrote in message
> I'm not sure where to post this, so I thought I would post here first. I
> have dsl, modem is a Netopia. I have windows XP home. There is not a
> network. I have one computer with all the latest updates. I have ran
> spybot, adware and registry first-aid. I have zone alarm firewall, Norton
> Systemworks for viruses. The problem is if I don't use my computer for
> awhile I can't connect to the Internet anymore. I have to turn off modem
> and reboot in order to connect. I've had windows XP for about 3 years and
> have not had to reboot for anything that wasn't my fault. I borrowed a
> friends modem and the same things happen and friend has no problems with
> mine. If anybody has any ideas I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in
> advance for any and all help.

Thank you for your reply. I will try it and see, hope it helps. My IP is not
in the range but you never know it might work Thank You.