IBM Power6 at 4.7Ghz Benchmarks

Have just found some benchmarks in the SAP space (DB and transactional processing)
http://www50.sap.com/benchmarkdata/sd2tier.asp

The Highlights
4 Way (8 cores) 20120 SAPs
8 way (16 cores) 40070 SAPs
2 Way (4 Cores) 10180 SAPs

In comparison
Intel Itanium 4 Way (8 core) 8680 SAPs
AMD 4 Way opteron (8 core) 10120 SAPs
Intel 2 Way Xeon core 2 arch (8 core) 9000 SAPs

My thoughts. Per core the IBM beats anything out there.
Per Socket Quad core Barcelona could match it (SAP scales very well with CPU cores)
Itanium really is in a bad state.
Core 2 arch needs to scale to 4+ sockets
Within this benchmark Opteron is faster per core than core 2, IMC is the main reason here. Good hopes for barcelona
5 answers Last reply
More about power6 7ghz benchmarks
  1. While impressive, something to keep in mind is just how large the Power6 processor is. It's 341mm^2 with 790 million transistors on 65nm for only two cores. Core 2 Duo is only 291 million transistors for two cores, or 582 million for four cores (which gets close to P6's numbers).

The Power6 transistor count excludes the 32MB of off-die L3 as well.

While I'm not saying Power6 is bad, on a per-transistor basis, it's on par with current generation x86 processors like AMD's and Intel's. The only dog in the group is the itanium, but that comes to no surprise to anyone.
  2. Ya, but can it play Oblivion any better? I dont think so
  3. I am very interested to get the 1st FPU benchmarks... and I am interested to know how does it fare with non integer pointer incrementation. Usually Power arch really sucks at doing casting from float to int.
  4. Quote:
    Have just found some benchmarks in the SAP space (DB and transactional processing)
    http://www50.sap.com/benchmarkdata/sd2tier.asp

The Highlights
    4 Way (8 cores) 20120 SAPs
    8 way (16 cores) 40070 SAPs
    2 Way (4 Cores) 10180 SAPs

In comparison
    Intel Itanium 4 Way (8 core) 8680 SAPs
    AMD 4 Way opteron (8 core) 10120 SAPs
    Intel 2 Way Xeon core 2 arch (8 core) 9000 SAPs

My thoughts. Per core the IBM beats anything out there.
    Per Socket Quad core Barcelona could match it (SAP scales very well with CPU cores)
    Itanium really is in a bad state.
    Core 2 arch needs to scale to 4+ sockets
    Within this benchmark Opteron is faster per core than core 2, IMC is the main reason here. Good hopes for barcelona

Wow, it's twice as fast as a 4P Opteron. Even Itanium couldn't knock off the 4P Opteron. I would say that Barcelona will get close at it's highest clock. It may even surpass it because of L3 and HT3.

It'll be interesting. Next week is Computex and at least BioStar is reporting they will demo Agena in AM2+. AMD should actually reveal clocks and benches.

At least that's the last I heard. They can't afford not to.
  5. Quote:
    Ya, but can it play Oblivion any better? I dont think so

Can you recompile Oblivion ? I guess the P6 will have PCIe-X16 in the box ... so have fun porting it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core IBM