Sign in with
Your question

Computer Keeps Restarting

Last response: in Windows XP
April 12, 2009 12:32:30 AM

Hi Computer keeps restarting over and over again. It starts and boots up and goes through the process of restarting over and over again. We have windows xp SP2 (I think). I am not computer savvy. When it started booting up I could not get anywhere pressing F2,or F4 or F10. I did press esc and got select boot device
1. ST360020A
2. Pioneer DVD Rom ATAPIMod
3. HL-DT-ST GCE-8160b
4. floppy
5. SCS1 Device

I have no idea what to do. any help deeply appreciated.thank you. Jennifer

More about : computer restarting

April 12, 2009 4:21:52 AM

Hello I had a dell 8250 that done that and it was the power supply,also its possible you have a bad video card....Ken
April 12, 2009 5:31:46 AM

Try del on start up. That's how you get to the bios.

If you choose to boot off the ST360020A HD, does it continue restarting?

The video card should be fine b/c you're not getting a beep code, and you are getting a video output.

Is this a custom build?

The continual loop could be a sign of a short. Tie up all the loose cables.

It could also indicate a failing psu. May want to try a different psu.

It could also indicate faulty RAM voltages. You could try getting into the bios and setting it to the appropriate RAM timings/voltages.
Related resources
April 12, 2009 8:05:10 PM

Hi when the computer restarted I tried pressing esc, F2,F4,F8 andm F10 with no solution. the computer just restarts and says Sony and Microsoft windows. Says disc checking type of files/folders verifying folders and goes on to say 10, 20% etc. and when it gets to 50% it says \windows\dump3cd00c.tmpis cross linke on allocatioin unit 295779 and then eventually goes on to 60% etc. and goes to 100% does it thing and restart again. I tried once clicking ST360020A HD and it still restarted. Any suggestions appreciated. thank you. getting very frustrated with the other computer that keeps on restarting. Jennifer
April 12, 2009 11:57:34 PM

Unplug everything but the HD, video card, psu, and 1 stick of RAM. Try booting with just those.
April 13, 2009 5:46:36 PM

jj50000 said:
Hi when the computer restarted I tried pressing esc, F2,F4,F8 andm F10 with no solution. the computer just restarts and says Sony and Microsoft windows. Says disc checking type of files/folders verifying folders and goes on to say 10, 20% etc. and when it gets to 50% it says \windows\dump3cd00c.tmpis cross linke on allocatioin unit 295779 and then eventually goes on to 60% etc. and goes to 100% does it thing and restart again. I tried once clicking ST360020A HD and it still restarted. Any suggestions appreciated. thank you. getting very frustrated with the other computer that keeps on restarting. Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,

Everyone seems to be saying its physical hardware problem. I have a feeling it is not.
Would I be guessing right that someone kept turning off the computer at the plug without shutting windows down properly, or maybe you had some power cut whilst the pc was still on?
April 13, 2009 6:35:41 PM

try F8 at boot and see if you can enter safe mode, it is not the video card, PSU highly unlikely, CD ROM slight maybe, RAM NOT, MB NOT, you have a windows corruption of some sort, hold the F8 key down during boot, if it works, go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore and pick a point when the computer was working OK, good luck
!