Superbowl in HDTV on FOX?

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 18, 2005 4:35:05 AM

Just got the FOX network in HDTV.
Anyone know if they plan to broadcast the superbowl on FOX in HDTV?
Please say yes (and don't lie :-)

More about : superbowl hdtv fox

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:29:46 AM

Yes, it will be broadcast in HD:

"Beginning Sept. 12, the network will present up to six games in 720p high
definition every week during the regular season. In addition, all nationally
televised regular and postseason games, including the NFC Championship Game
and SUPER BOWL XXXIX, will be offered in the 720p (progressive) high
definition format, which takes 60 razor sharp, complete pictures per second,
producing spectacular moving images."

Source: http://www.fox41.com/sports/nfl.asp

"Bulk Daddy" <bd@commonsense.org> wrote in message
> Just got the FOX network in HDTV.
> Anyone know if they plan to broadcast the superbowl on FOX in HDTV?
> Please say yes (and don't lie :-)
January 18, 2005 5:58:31 AM

I remember hearing the broadcasters saying during the playoff game on Sunday
that the SB would be broadcasted in HD.

--
Greg
gstill007@hotmail.com
"Bulk Daddy" <bd@commonsense.org> wrote in message
> Just got the FOX network in HDTV.
> Anyone know if they plan to broadcast the superbowl on FOX in HDTV?
> Please say yes (and don't lie :-)
January 18, 2005 10:33:19 AM

Largest sporting event in the world....what do you think?

Of course they are broadcasting it in HD. They are also broadcasting the
Daytona 500 in HD two weeks later.

"Bulk Daddy" <bd@commonsense.org> wrote in message
> Just got the FOX network in HDTV.
> Anyone know if they plan to broadcast the superbowl on FOX in HDTV?
> Please say yes (and don't lie :-)
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:42:05 AM

>720p (progressive) high
> definition format, which takes 60 razor sharp, complete pictures per
second,
> producing spectacular moving images."

That can't be right, isn't 720p 24 frames per sec.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:43:41 PM

Theo (tasir@sfs-nobs-arch.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> >720p (progressive) high
> > definition format, which takes 60 razor sharp, complete pictvres per
> second,
> > prodvcing spectacvlar moving images."
>
> That can't be right, isn't 720p 24 frames per sec.

No, the ATSC standard (which is the sovrce of the HD feed that DirecTV
gets) allows 24, 30, or 60 frames per second at 1280x720 pixels.

--
Jeff Rife | "Grab a shovel...I'm only one skvll
| short of a Movseketeer revnion."
|
| -- Bender, "Fvtvrama"
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:11:39 PM

"Theo" <tasir@sfs-nobs-arch.com> wrote in message
> >720p (progressive) high
>> definition format, which takes 60 razor sharp, complete pictures per
> second,
>> producing spectacular moving images."
>
> That can't be right, isn't 720p 24 frames per sec.

No, it's movies that are 24 fps. Standard TV is 30 fps. In 1/60 second,
your TV set draws 1/2 the lines for a frame, then goes back and fills in the
other lines = 30 complete fps. With progressive, each 1/2 second, your set
draws a whole frame = 60 complete fps.

mack
austin
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:43:21 PM

Bummer, that means I don't get Superbowl in HD because I rely on
Comcast for my HD feed and there is not FOX HD on my comcast. I know I
can get OTA if I have the box. But I don't play to my an OTA receiver
just for that stupid FOX network.

Shouldn't NFL ban FOX from getting the broadcasting right because of
their poor HD availability?

Bulk Daddy wrote:
> Just got the FOX network in HDTV.
> Anyone know if they plan to broadcast the superbowl on FOX in HDTV?
> Please say yes (and don't lie :-)
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 4:24:10 AM

There is still hope. Last year, when the Superbowl was on CBS, Time Warner
struck a deal with the local CBS Affiliate to show the Superbowl in HD.
They went live on Thursday night/Friday morning and the broadcast was
awesome. Ultimately the local CBS affiliate became a permanent channel on
the local cable system. I have seen this done for other major sporting
events as well. Hopefully this will happen in your area. It just depends
on the affiliate and the cable operator.

"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Bummer, that means I don't get Superbowl in HD because I rely on
> Comcast for my HD feed and there is not FOX HD on my comcast. I know I
> can get OTA if I have the box. But I don't play to my an OTA receiver
> just for that stupid FOX network.
>
> Shouldn't NFL ban FOX from getting the broadcasting right because of
> their poor HD availability?
>

> Bulk Daddy wrote:
> > Just got the FOX network in HDTV.
> > Anyone know if they plan to broadcast the superbowl on FOX in HDTV?
> > Please say yes (and don't lie :-)

January 23, 2005 5:31:05 PM

I just checked. My Comcast franchise (Harrisburg, PA) has Fox on their HD
lineup. But my HD TV may not be installed in time as I have to remodel the
basement before the TV is allowed in the house. Oh well back to painting.
"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Bummer, that means I don't get Superbowl in HD because I rely on
> Comcast for my HD feed and there is not FOX HD on my comcast. I know I
> can get OTA if I have the box. But I don't play to my an OTA receiver
> just for that stupid FOX network.
>
> Shouldn't NFL ban FOX from getting the broadcasting right because of
> their poor HD availability?
>

> Bulk Daddy wrote:
>> Just got the FOX network in HDTV.
>> Anyone know if they plan to broadcast the superbowl on FOX in HDTV?
>> Please say yes (and don't lie :-)

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:48:28 PM

In less than a week after I stated here that I don't get FOX HD on my
Comcast, I noticed yesterday that my local Comcast just added San
Francisco's Channel 2 FOX on the 700 range (all other HD channels are
assigned to the 700s). I have not seen any HD show on this 702 channel
yet, but I hope it does show HD. So HD Superbowl may come just in time
for me. Happy happy joy joy!

Does anyone in the SF Bay Area notice when 702 was added to Comcast? I
first saw it on Jan 27 and I don't remember seeing it any earlier.

!