Use Recovery Console to copy data from hard drive to flash drive?

hannedog

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Hi,

A laptop of mine recently went kaput (the display adapter on the motherboard fried), however the hard drive was fine. I got a new laptop, and am trying to recover some of the data (mainly from the Users folder). Since I can't boot into Windows on the new laptop (obviously because the drivers are too incompatible -- the old laptop was a gateway and the new one is a toshiba), and Windows can't repair the installation, my only choice it would seem would be to use the recovery console to xcopy the data off the hard drive. After I recover the data I can then reformat the drive and do a fresh install of windows.

Now, the new laptop I got didn't come with a hard drive, so all I have is this one hard drive. I figured I'd be able to use flash drives to recover the data. Just xcopy with the data as the source and the flash drive as the destination.

However, I in no way can access any flash drives from the recovery console. The only drives I have available are X and C -- D is unuseable (understandably) -- and the only tool I know of that can manage drives is DISKPART, however that is seemingly for hard drives only -- not for removable media.

As far as I can tell the new laptop cannot boot off of flash drives, and the flash drive lights never turn on at all during the POST sequence or elsewhere. However, you'd think you'd still be able to load the drives up in the recovery console.

If I end up not being able to use the flash drives, what do you recommend as the best way to get the data off the hard drive? Thanks,

Jon

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Im thinking that it may be easier to goto newegg and get a usb to hdd adapter.
Some come as a external enclosure where you can insert your hdd and plug in the cable.

Then on another computer plug it in and copy the data across.

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
if you can get your hands on a copy of knopix that will sort you out with out having to buy anything :) Knopix is software which you can load onto a cd which will make your computer boot into a linux environment you will be able to transfer your files using that.

Does Knopix have NTFS support by default? I used Ubuntu recently to resize the partition on my RAID array to make room for Win 7 RC... so I know that Ubuntu will support NTFS without a lot of effort.

It's a good idea, but if the OP is unfamiliar with Linux, it would be much easier to purchase an enclosure or adapter and do it that way. That way, you could make any hard drive a back-up or extra storage device.

hannedog

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I ended up trying Knoppix Live first, which does NOT support NTFS -- so I couldn't access the drive.

I then tried out Ubuntu (which the default distro offers a "live" version -- no need to worry about getting a specific one) and it worked like a charm. Still couldn't copy data off onto USB -- as it turned out the USB ports ended up going completely dead -- but I was able to copy the data off the hdd onto the network. Mission accomplished.

Unfortunately, I tried all this out before your replies, so... uh, no thanks to you guys! :kaola:

Honestly though, thanks for the thought -- I just came back here to say that Ubuntu did work for anyone else who has a similar problem and stumbles across this thread.

justincraig21

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I recently lost my data from my windows hard drive. I have used Stellar Phoenix Windows data recovery software. This windows recovery software recovers all my lost and deleted data.This software demo version is free in which you can see the preview of your recoverable data. Once you see the preview go for full version to complete the data recovery process.
For more details visit
http://www.partitionrecovery-software.com/

davison1

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Well, I have also used the Stellar Phoenix windows data recovery software . The most attracting feature of this product is its user friendly environment . Its so easy to handle fast to recover data in their original form .

I got it from this site : http://www.windows-data-recovery.net/