Your question

s939 async overclock impact

Last response: in CPUs
May 31, 2007 2:35:19 PM

here's what i have

3700+ 2.2ghz overclocked to 2.86 ghz manual ratio
4x 512mb ram samsung TCCC (cheap) chip running 3-4-4-11 @ 434mhz
asus board A8N-SLI
a single 6600GT ( don't play games anymore )
2x 250Gig in raid 0 ( old disks sata 1 seagate )
with an ati theater 550 pci card from MSI to tune tv channels w/HW encoder and ram buffer

so i'm NOT on a 1:1 overclock.

looking at actual cpu, i noticed amd stays with almost the same technology, improving only maximum achievable frequency.

i have an opportunity to buy an OEM 3800 X2 s939 for less than 100$
assuming i want to overclock it and i don't want to pay for ddr500 ram, how far can it run ? (async) and is the impact greater on an async overclocked dual core than on an async overclocked single core

ultimately, i see no features that isn't supported by the s939 x2 3800
everything is bout performance now and according to the fact that apps and programs are designed to run on non-overclocked, i'll still have something everything will run smoothly. i'm not ready to invest 300$ on my comp right now, i'm waiting for full featured high overclock multi-core CPU's
May 31, 2007 3:39:10 PM

Synchronous RAM/FSB Ratio is more an topic, perfectionist concept than a real indicator of performance; NONE of the current desktop applications can use all the bandwidth generated by today's RAM. If you use your PC mainly for gaming, you won't see many multithreaded games yet, so I'd advice you to keep your current 2.86GHz A64, even because, lower S939 X2s' OC-ing capabilities are often limited to 2.4-2.5GHz and that will hurt your performance in most games.
Related resources
May 31, 2007 4:03:14 PM

Quote:
Synchronous RAM/FSB Ratio is more an topic, perfectionist concept than a real indicator of performance; NONE of the current desktop applications can use all the bandwidth generated by today's RAM. If you use your PC mainly for gaming, you won't see many multithreaded games yet, so I'd advice you to keep your current 2.86GHz A64, even because, lower S939 X2s' OC-ing capabilities are often limited to 2.4-2.5GHz and that will hurt your performance in most games.

thanks for the tip but i precised i wouldn't play games... and also, i have a 6600GT which is the real bottleneck. i'll buy a 8600gt when someone will want to sell it for 50 bucks

Quote:
I'd sure hope you're getting it for less than 100 bucks, newegg has it for $84 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .

As fas as having your memory out of sync, I don't think that's an issue, most overclocking is not done at 1:1.

i'm having it from tigerdirect.ca ... i'm canadian. you can but it for 79.97US and i can buy it for 79.97 $ CDN

right now 1 CDN dollar is worth a little more than 0.935 US... and should be more than 1 by the end of the actual year... by buying now, it's a 76.50US value at tigerdirect. oem, 1 year warranty, 6% taxes + 10.84CDN$ shipping cost...
May 31, 2007 4:11:34 PM

Cool, that's a good deal. I usually hear about prices being more expensive in Canada, as far as computer parts go anyways.

The main point though is that the 1:1 ratio is just something some people like to do, but it's not going to hamper your performance if you don't have 1:1.

Like m25 pointed out, you likely won't get a 3800+ x2 past 2.5ghz or so, but I would still recommend going dual core. The difference was very noticeable when I upgraded from a 3500+ @ 2.4ghz to an opteron 165 dual core @ 2.7ghz. I really don't understand all the fuss about C2D when I can't even make my opty rig struggle. Like you, I'm going to wait for the quad and octo cores to become affordable before I upgrade again.
May 31, 2007 6:39:52 PM

i DO understand what id attractive in the C2D... if i had 500$ instead of 100, i would buy a P5K. a 4400. and a 2gb dual channel 1066mhz kit.

overclock it to 3.4ghz or better
as A64 3000+ and e6600 are about the same speed,
it gives C2d architecture 25% bonus...

it's to be compared to an athlon 64 overclocked to 4.2ghz
which can't be achieved. intel just skipped a year of technology, they skipped an entire serie of CPU. 25% is an entire year of new technology.
as amd did when it got A64 out...

and waiting for the prices to drop for the quad... ok but i'll only buy when ppl will be able to prove the difference in more than 2 or 3 programs...

Q6600 is overclockeable to 3.4ghz too but it needs watercooling...

4x 3.4ghz C2D architecture is overkilling anything...
as entry-level server it's totally awesome...

getting a quad, you need watercooling to overclock it...
!