4 DRIVES - suggestions on how to set up

davelakecity

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I now have a total of four 120 gig sata I drives and I'm getting some new ram so I'm going to reinstall windows this weekend. Was looking for suggestions on how to arrange these drives.

I'm a gamer so I'd like to have two drives in raid zero for loading speeds. Is it best to put windows on this raid zero array along with my games (?) or can I / should I put windows on a separate drive?

For the other two drives I was going to use them mostly for Data and manually use one to back the other up every once in awhile. I'd love to have two drives in a raid zero array and two drives in a raid one array, but that 's not possible right (?) btw - gigabyte 965p-s3 mobo - using software raid

okay I'm guessing I should do the two drives in raid zero with windows loaded on it as well as my games (unless I hear differently from one of you)... If I do this will I be able to have another Windows install on one of my storage disks... In the past I've always had two windows installs (having the option to chose which to use at startup) in case of problems

Maybe I'm making this too complicated... any advice appreciated. Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
There is really no reason not to put the OS and programs on the same drive. Rather than doing a 2nd install of Windows, I'd back up the Drive with the OS and programs using either Acronis True Image or Norton's Ghost, this way you can keep everything up to date. I have an older version of True Image that works fine, never used Ghost. Instead of putting both data drives in the computer, I'd get an external case and use one as an external drive