"Please Insert the Correct DVD-ROM, click OK and Restart..." BFME2

Hey Everyone,

I am having trouble playing Battle for Middle Earth 2 on my windows 8 laptop. I installed it on my Windows 8 machine successfully and tried to play it, but the first time I launched it, i got his error "Please Insert the Correct DVD-ROM, click OK and Restart the application", and then the program just stopped.

Each time i try (running as admin, running from the disc, running in compatibility mode, not in compatibility mode) nothing worked.

So I downloaded Virtual Box, and installed a XP SP3 machine. Again, I installed the game from a disc and it installed successfully. But when I went to play it first time I got the same error in the virtual machine!!!

So now, I have no clue what to do. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Notes:
- Not sure this is the right forum, if you can think of a better one I will post there too
- This is a legitimate copy of the game, it is not cracked, it was bought on release date from Best Buy (i say this because I have seen similar threads on this topic and everyone says it must be a pirated game)
9 answers Last reply
More about please insert correct click restart bfme2
  1. If it is a legit copy, simple insert the disk?
  2. Its more likely the DRM of the game, I bet it will work without a hitch on a pc with windows xp, or vista, windows 7 installed as the os.
    This happens all to common with a few games. Maybe take a trip over to the game website and have a look if there is a patch or some information, or forum solution on there.

As a thought though since middle earth 2 was an expansion pack it may be asking for the middle earth DVD as a DRM check.. Give it a try.
  3. Thanks for the replies:

Noidea_77 - obviously I am putting in the proper disc

Weaselman - I am running the latest patch of the game already. If it was a DRM issue, wouldn't it still work from XP if its a virtual machine? You mean to say this would only work if XP is the host OS, and no other way?
  4. It may be the case, the only way is to test the theory if you can.
    Let me know if you do and the result.
  5. Well I do not have the means to test it, but I can tell you this:

I originally installed the game on an XP machine, and it worked no problems (except for some lag because it was a crappy computer), then, when I got a new windows 7 computer, I installed it and again, no problems it ran smoothly.

Now I have the problem with my host OS of windows 8. But... What is the point of doing a virtual machine if its not going to get around the "bugs" (if you will) of the host OS? I mean, it worked on XP in the past, so it should work on XP again even if its a virtual environment!

I'm just venting I guess. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm still hunting for a solution that will work either on windows 8 or my XP virtual setup.
  6. I remember this with BF2 series of games, also UT the first. EA developed a patch so BF2, 2142 would run with out the cd. Some computers could run it while other computers could not. Really I think this is DRM hardware driven since some computer can and some cant. Maybe CDrom vendors.
  7. Update: I have downloaded various patches and no-CD cracks to no avail. On a side note, I am thoroughly unimpressed with windows 8, so I am seriously considering just installing windows 7 fresh
  8. techy_06 said:
    Update: I have downloaded various patches and no-CD cracks to no avail. On a side note, I am thoroughly unimpressed with windows 8, so I am seriously considering just installing windows 7 fresh

BOL
  9. Update: Installed Windows 7 and BFME 2 is working perfectly. I think I will skip Windows 8 altogether...
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8 DVD Drives