"CHKDSK step 2 of 3: verifying indexes" stallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

rootabeggastu

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi, my vista computer starts up and runs chkdsk, but stalls out 49 % of the way, during step 2 of 3 : verifying indexes. what might this mean, and potentially how can it be fixed? I believe i contracted some malware which funks up my registry/ indexes, which i have since removed with norton and pctools's spyware doctor. However, I believe its past presence left some changes to my indexes/registry, because when I get windows started, I can start some programs, but most ".exe"s, including "rundll32.exe" will not start up; instead I receive the message " choose which program/application to run this file with:..."
I don't have the means to take this into the shop, however, I have the dedication and intelligence to work it out on my own, with a little help from any of you more experienced. If all else fails, I'll restore my factory conditions( i've had the laptop for 2 years but have as yet failed to create a recovery/system backup) , load ubuntu, and [to hell with it all] move on with life.

thank you a ton, everyone.

-Nich

Solution
How long does it stall? How long have you left it before giving up? One thing to try would be to take the hard drive and scan it on a clean computer... that way any corruption in your OS could be eliminated as the cause of the issue. If it still stalls, then the hard drive may be failing.
How long does it stall? How long have you left it before giving up? One thing to try would be to take the hard drive and scan it on a clean computer... that way any corruption in your OS could be eliminated as the cause of the issue. If it still stalls, then the hard drive may be failing.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.