Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Okay my friend has an old compaq case (pictured below) that we would like to use for a new build. Is there any way to find out if a regular sized PSU and motherboard (gigabyte DS3) would fit? We would probably need to add in some fans too.

case001.jpg

First off, it is limited to micro-ATX due to the limited PCI/AGP external slots and the height of the case, and most Compaq presario/deskpro I have seen (and I am looking at a Deskpro and Evo models right now since I am at work) have non-standard power supplies. To double-check get the model and go to the support page, then cross reference the part #s in google.

I have refurb'd them into reuse as grandma/grandpa websurfers / fileservers / HTPC-type media players (with appropriate video and GeexBox) but not very good choice for modern game rigs due to the limitations of mATX and PSU mentioned above.

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Yeah...thats a micro atx case for sure. Just check the expansion slots in the back.
4=micro atx
7=full size atx

A gigabyte p965-ds3 will not fit.
Some compaqs have standard size psu's, but check on it first. I squeezed a seasonic in mine. The hardest part was what to do with the extra wires.
With all the $$ you would invest with fans, psu, etc. Why bother?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
We talked it over and went with a Coolermaster Elite 330-which has a 120mm back fan and a side air duct for the cpu, so we should be all set. Thanks for preventing a major hassle when we found out the hard way that it wouldn't fit!